In Search of Cinelli...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sungod

by sungod

Granfondo2014 wrote:That is one fine piece of kit man. It looks like titanium. Sorry I didn't word that right i actually meant i was worried about chipping CF frames. Steel Frames seem robust enough for parking next to other bikes, taking to work etc.

Quick question - to make steel as light as titanium does it then become as precious? Or do you still feel fairly robust to chuck around and park at work etc?
thanks

the frame rings if you flick it with a finger, as if it were spring steel, i think it'll take a pretty hard impact to ding it

i usually don't commute on it unless i'm going for early morning training, otherwise i've got another bike for commute, but it really does get ridden year round - if it's not icy then i'm riding it, plus at least a couple of time a year i go cycling overseas, then it does the supermarket runs as well as long hard rides in the sun

in london i'd never leave it for long unattended even with a huge lock, risk of theft is way too high here, but at work i can put it in a secure place so it's ok when i do ride in on it

had two bad incidents (and want no more!) both in london, one hit & run, another a van reversed into me, but the frame survived unscathed and the rest was covered by insurance and the driver's company

i'd be really unhappy it it got smashed up, not sure i could afford to replace it as i'm under insured now, but i love riding it, so that's what i do

Miller

by Miller

I had a Cinelli Pro Estrada, lovely bike. It was my first all-carbon road bike and I liked it so much it encouraged me to try something else, if you see what I mean.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Granfondo2014

by Granfondo2014

:lol:

Ok heading back towards steel/Ti given the positive reviews it's receiving. Reading the article about the breakaway was a really nice reminder about what it's all about so thanks for that.

I might give Ritchey another look and perhaps Sabbath silk road for the moment. Wish i could afford a custom frame but i realise there is no 'forever' bike!! I guess bike design changes as well so maybe down the line could be an option...

getting excited about this search!! First proper gran fondo Wooler Borderlands in May can wait...

shimmeD

by shimmeD

You will be less inclined to be dreaming about the next latest model if you had a custom. Not necessarily expensive. Check Sven, Meech, Tonic Fabrications and this site http://www.framebuilding.com/custom_uk_ ... ilders.htm

Many bespoke owners are not only satisfied with their bikes but also cherish the process (more trendy word is the journey), and I can vouch for that. There is nothing like something made for you: just ask Taylor about his suits.

Also check bikerumor for recent articles on mosaic. My take from it is that you need to be confident that your ti builder does it right.
Less is more.

Granfondo2014

by Granfondo2014

thanks shimmeD. Newcastle upon Tyne is annoyingly not on that list but i'm looking at some options.

Granfondo2014

by Granfondo2014

Quick question for the connoisseurs regarding the CXR - the head angle looks on the racy side is that what you guys think when riding? Is it sportive friendly?? I know with a good bike fit it can be comfortable but i've also found angle a bit too racy my back starts to ache after 30 miles...
thoughts welcome

Granfondo2014

by Granfondo2014

sorry i'm a bit dyslexic and my job means my abbreviation reverted to type... I meant Cinelli XCR!!

sungod

by sungod

i think xcr is always a built to order frame, the shop you buy from should give you a proper fitting session from which they create the order, they can adjust geometry to suit riding preferences

if you're going to splurge on a frame like this, never go for off the peg sizing

i've not ridden loads of bikes, but the xcr is without doubt the most comfortable, stiff but has a bit of vertical compliance, comfy on long rides, but i can still sprint or kick it up a climb without it flexing on me

cinelli's blurb... http://cinelli.it/scripts/true_story.ph ... 01&mode=sl

mine is the original bb30 model, i think the current ones have a threaded bb, some have paint on which is sacrilege, the bare finish is "cristal mirror"

by default the xcr comes with the columbus minimal fork, looks nice but understeers on hard/fast cornering (i'm 75-77kg), i fitted the enve 2.0 instead which i find dramatically better, now i can hit corners fast and be sure where i'm going

DMF

by DMF

I reckon it needs to be said, I mean new kit is always nice, but if you've only been riding for less than a year, your "fit" still has a long way to evolve and what the fitter says today will most likely not apply in two years time... Getting a fairly expensive custom frame that quite possibly will be a poor fit pretty soon as you get fitter, as you get more flexible and primarily as you get more settled into road biking. Could perhaps not be as long term of a purchase as you think...

Over the years bike fitting is a dynamic process, and perfect fit is illusive, but usually more so in the beginning than later on.

Sorry to be the party pooper, but I really think it might be some food for thought... Ofcourse you could always buy another custom frame later on, as new kit is always nice :)

sungod

by sungod

^^^ very good point

Granfondo2014

by Granfondo2014

Hi there,
thank you so much that's something i didn't even consider. I (wrongly) assumed being 33 my proportions wouldn't change but didn't realise my needs would change as i (hopefully) improved... even though my riding intentions (sportives etc) probably wouldn't.

Right, back to the board after I brave a cycle in windy northumberland!!

Thanks again guys I'll be back with more questions no doubt :-)

cwdzoot
Shop Owner

by cwdzoot

Been racing the Saetta Race Cut and even though it's supposed to be more of an endurance built I enjoy the comfort and light weight
Instagram - stylish square bike pics
Flickr - over 20 million views for good reason
Facebook - friends get the good info & coupons first

dadoflam08

by dadoflam08

to put a contrary view - I got myself a custom made frame after only a couple of year weekend riding and it was the best thing I could have done for myself - my bike fitted well and was very comfortable, was suited to my riding requirements and I ended up riding a lot more.
Also the bike designer took into consideration how I wanted it to look - within the limits of my geometry requirements.
In the three years since I got the bike I played around with the components and some of the settings and so recently I got re-fitted by someone to make sure I was set up properly. The person concerned was unaware of how the bike was originally set up and after 2 hours he basically had me and the bike back as per original - with the exception of the saddle lifting a little which had been anticipated by the builder.

In summary - if your riding time is valuable to you and you go to a designer/builder who will work closely with you to achieve your requirements a custom frame may ensure you enjoy your riding even more and should see you through many years - don't wait.

Happy Riding

PS - Cinellis are the business - my '72 SC
'83 De Rosa+'11 Baum Corretto+'08 BMC Pro Machine >6kg+'86 Pinarello Team +'72 Cinelli SC +'58 Bianchi+'71 Cinelli SC+'78 Masi GC+'83 La Redoute Motobecane+'94 Banesto Pegoretti+'88 Bianchi X4 +'48 Super Elliott+'99 Look Kg281+'18 Pegoretti

sungod

by sungod

that's lovely! i do like the look of classic steel

Granfondo2014

by Granfondo2014

I'm getting some serious bike envy as perv on the bikes above!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com