Antioxidant supplements stop adaptions / endurance training

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

indigo

by indigo

Interesting study shows that antioxidant supplements hampered cellular adaptions in the exercised muscles in endurance training.

Link to abstract

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

devinci

by devinci

Keep in mind it did not translate into a performance decrease. Supplementation with vitamin E and C is also likely not very useful for the average athlete eating a complete diet on a daily basis.

A lot of the studies on antioxidant potential mechanisms come up with somewhat limited results and conclusions. Other antioxidants such as polyphenols, particularly flavonoids, could have potential benefits on oxidative stress and play a role in the treatment/prevention of chronic disease such as atherosclerosis, T2DM, and their cardiovasculars consequences.

boots2000

by boots2000

Nutritional scientist Stacy Sims says don't take antioxidants or eat things like berries for several hours after training.

devinci

by devinci

Why after training and not before? Might as well avoid, coffee, tea, cocoa, chocolate, vegetables, fruits, etc, etc, etc.

Piece of shit advice, me say

Rick

by Rick

Interesting.

I would just point out that since both groups showed equal improvement, the antioxidants really didn't "hamper" anything.
What the study actually said was :
"Daily vitamin C and E supplementation attenuated increases in markers of mitochondrial biogenesis following endurance training."

So there a a bazillion ways to interpret that. Maybe the antioxidents more successfully protected the mitochondria from damage, so that there was less mitochondrial biogenisis required;
Maybe the "markers" of biogenesis are in a biochemichal pathway that is not as reliable a marker as was previously believed.

Many others possible.
The main point being just that "hampering" is not really a justified conclusion.

devinci

by devinci

jpanspac

by jpanspac

Also, in the first study they gave 1000mg of C, and 235mg of E. Those are high doses. I suspect there's nothing to worry about if you take a plain old multivitamin .
My favorite components are the ones I never have to think about.

devinci

by devinci

Or what about taking plain old real food and nothing else? ;)

nealrab

by nealrab

Don't know if I believe most of that data...still sounds suspect to me

rockdude

by rockdude

2 Serotta's, 1 Spectrum, 1 Van Dessel, 1 Parlee & 1 Carl Strong, & 1 Titus.

devinci

by devinci

Oxidative stress and endurance training adaptations sometimes appear to be linked at the molecular level. Oxidative stress is a natural phenomena and intensive exercise induces oxidative stress.

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG

Illuminate

by Illuminate

Would anyone like to comment on the size of the error bars and what impact that has on the significance of the measurements?

:thumbup:

rockdude

by rockdude

The abstract for this paper is poor, You can't deduct anything for it. Does anyone have a link to the full paper?

Tapeworm wrote:http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/24576857/?i=8&from=exercise,%20training
2 Serotta's, 1 Spectrum, 1 Van Dessel, 1 Parlee & 1 Carl Strong, & 1 Titus.

devinci

by devinci

The fun stuff with science is it seems to contradict itself over and over again.

As per Vaughan et al. 2013 review, some antioxidant can induce important intereactions at the molecular level to improve skeletal muscle adaptatons. Polyphenols compound such as epigallocatechin gallate found in tea as been shown to increase circulating catecholamines which are mediator to the expression of key transcription factor activator for mitochondrial biosynthesis.

Additionaly, long chain fatty acids like EPA/DHA found mainly in fish (fish oil) were found to induce molecular activities promoting mitochindrial biosynthesis. A bit out of the antioxidant topic but still good food for thoughts for people considering supplementation as a strategy to improve fitness.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com