Hard lump in tubular tyre

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Devon

by Devon

So I pulled my carbons out the other day to look over them before my race on Saturday.
Obviously they were flat; however upon feeling the tyres, there is a hard patch in one -
about 6mm in length. I assume this is where the sealant has settled where I've been a bit
lazy with maintaining air pressure and turning the wheels? is there any way to fix this?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mattr

by mattr

If its a hard lump of sealant, more sealant *might* dissolve it. If its where the inside of the tube has stuck together, you are screwed.

Pump them up and give them a whizz, you might not even notice the lump when they are at 100+psi.

Devon

by Devon

They pump up fine so I don't think it's the inside of the tube stuck together. Will give them a quick ride once the bike is clean and set up provided it's not raining....

Geoff

by Geoff

That is one of the reasons I don't like sealant for tubulars. Really nothing you can do about it now, but I doubt it will make that much difference to your race. The other alternative would be to replace the tube, but that seems like overkill.

mattr

by mattr

Thinking about it, the lump is only a bit of congealed latex and "gunk", maybe trying to crush it against the rim bed or between fingers might allow it to break down a bit more easily.

And make sure its not a lump thats dried up and hardened round a thorn/piece of glass first!

petepeterson

by petepeterson

I would imagine riding it will disintegrate the latex if it has hardened. You could also figure out what the solvent is in the liquid latex and put some more of that in to break it up?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

glepore

by glepore

The "solvent" in most sealants is glycol based-rv antifreeze is safe and works well-long thread on the mtbr board by some chemists about homebrew solvents. Not sure if you can dissolve a latex "booger" but worth a shot.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record