Panaracer fire xc pro pressure

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

KOGAN

by KOGAN

Hi

I have had a set of Panaracer xc pro tyres on my bike now for a few weeks and done 5 or so rides, in the dry, mud and snow.

I cant seem to find the correct tyre pressure though. Panaracer reccommend between 35-55psi. Problem is at 35 psi in the mud I am sliding all over the place. If I run lower pressure i have more grip but i keep puncturing! I weigh 64kg

Any ideas!? should i run lower pressures and buy some slime tubes?

Thanks
KOGAN

cerro

by cerro

Getting a proper tire instead? Otherwise as low pressure as possible not puncturing.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Illuminado

by Illuminado

Those Fire's are great for dirt, but see if you can't get a softer, mud-specific tyre if that's what you're dealing with mostly.

Continental MK
Michelin XC AT
Kenda Karma
Bontrager Jones ACX

Are going to do that a bit better.
Who, what, huh?

KOGAN

by KOGAN

Thanks Illuminado

I thought that might be the only option. I'm mainly a road rider who just does a bit of mtbing in the winter when the weathers bad so bit reluctant to pay out for more tyres, but heard the contis are good and will have a look at the others you suggested as well.

Thanks
Kogan

TheRookie

by TheRookie

I run my XC pro's at 28 front 30 rear, only had one snakebite which was my one fault as I misjudged a sharp edged step up at speed......
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Illuminado wrote:Those Fire's are great for dirt, but see if you can't get a softer, mud-specific tyre if that's what you're dealing with mostly.
[...]
Kenda Karma

Bringing back this old thread, surprised to see this judgement.
Thing is, I've been running the 2.0 Karma DTC and loving it. So supple and well rolling off-road.
Was looking at trying the Fire, because it has a more aggressive tread, and I mostly use my MTB for hill repeats (of various lengths, 1-15min), to mix up the road training in the spring, where there are often wet and soft conditions.

Could I get more input from people who have tried both, Karma and Fire XC pro?

mattr

by mattr

I've not tried the Karma, but i can tell you that the Fire XC Pro is just ok. Except its ok at everything.
It'd be a tire to fit to a beater mountain bike or single speed that gets used all year round, in multiple conditions/locations with little or no maintenance.

For anything specific (like where i ride now, it's all loamy soil, rocks and roots) i'd buy a better tyre for the conditions.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Thanks Mattr. Yeah that's exactly the sort of use I have, rigid hack of a rig, used for hill repeats, laid back pleasure tours to visit a hut on non-racy friends birthdays, and hauling the kid around town. Maybe one or two hillclimbs this year.

Also have to admit I like how the skinwall Fire XC Pro looks. But again, the Karma is a great tyre, my current 5min hill loop has a wet soft loamy section on top, and I was surprised how flawlessly it chewed through. Running with 2 Bar currently, so I could even go a bit lower.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com