Lightweight Logo's

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

BeeBee30

by BeeBee30

I have just bought a Lightweight Generation 1 rear wheel on which the logo's have been removed, I'd like it to match the front Lightweight I already own which has logo's, I realise I can buy white vinyl Lightweight logo's which I can stick on but I'd really like to make a stencil so I can spray the logo on as per the original, any idea's how I can do this?
Ti or dye!

The Weenie formally known as CAADHEAD

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

A sheet of cellulose and a scalpel?

BeeBee30

by BeeBee30

To hard! :shock:
Ti or dye!

The Weenie formally known as CAADHEAD

dadoflam08

by dadoflam08

how about a sacrificial stencil - basically adhesive vinyl with logo cut out applied to wheel for painting and then removed. You would only get one use per stencil but will be as accurate as you are likely to get using stencils. The problem you may have is that the Lightweight rims have pinholes in the carbon so you may get some bleeding on the edges.
Don't dismiss the vinyl approach - I removed my painted logos and put black vinyl ones on - they look great
'83 De Rosa+'11 Baum Corretto+'08 BMC Pro Machine >6kg+'86 Pinarello Team +'72 Cinelli SC +'58 Bianchi+'71 Cinelli SC+'78 Masi GC+'83 La Redoute Motobecane+'94 Banesto Pegoretti+'88 Bianchi X4 +'48 Super Elliott+'99 Look Kg281+'18 Pegoretti

petal666

by petal666

How did you remove the paint? I have some lightweights that came from an Avanti bike and so have Avanti written on them.

drainyoo

by drainyoo

Why don't you just remove the logos from the other wheel? It's ugly, anyway.

I'm a designer and the best way to do it is to do what Zakalwe mentioned. Print the logo onto acetate and cut it out with an X-acto.

cnbky

by cnbky

Why don't you send them to lightweight? They are quite helpful over there, I'd be surprised if they refused to do it - so long as u think shipping costs are worth it, i think its the only right way to do it...It is a very unique finish, looks rough up close.

CLEAR

by CLEAR

referring to gen2-3 logos, anyone has any idea on how to remove them? I tried acetone, gasoline, paint thinner, etc with no luck... I want to remove them without damaging the carbon itself, but seems they stuff they use to "paint" is damn hard to scratch let alone to remove completely

Steve_W

by Steve_W

I'd agree, ship them back to lightweight, ask really nice I'm sure they'd do it for nowt! They've done me good with lots of things.

petepeterson

by petepeterson

Let me save you hundreds of $ in shipping.

Find an image of the logo. Preferably a vector file if you can find it. Try this website called 'google'
Email it to a print shop that does die cut vinyl decals.
Have them cut a bunch of decals to the proper size to use as a mask or just stick it on and no one will know the difference except you. If you must have paint the continue....
Stick on the mast and mask the rest of the wheel for overspray
Spray with a can of white or black spray paint.
Done.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

petepeterson

by petepeterson

CLEAR wrote:referring to gen2-3 logos, anyone has any idea on how to remove them? I tried acetone, gasoline, paint thinner, etc with no luck... I want to remove them without damaging the carbon itself, but seems they stuff they use to "paint" is damn hard to scratch let alone to remove completely

You would have to wet sand them off and respray the clear. Not an issue assuming there is a clear coat on LWs... just stop sanding before you hit carbon. I'd test a small area first with the clear coat.