K-Edge ki2 conversion kit

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

Anyone know where I can actually buy the conversion kit? I contacted K-edge but they don't sell direct and only offer conversion kits to shops. But I can't find anyone who carries it.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

That must be something in the Netherlands, because they offered to work with me directly. Be advised, just the conversion runs $330 on top of the price of the derailleur.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

maxxevv

by maxxevv

Unless you need it urgently for some upcoming event ... would suggest to give it a few months.

XTR Di2 is coming ... with some luck, we should have some revelations/picture leaks from Tier 1 OEM presentations in the coming weeks as the trade show season rolls in with Taipei in March.

Benno

by Benno

K-Edge is just a terrible waste of money. Not only is a Di2 DuraAce derailleur in no way designed to deal with a 36t cassette, but there is no front mech solution it uses a standard road cage to try and shift smaller mountain rings. I mean you can pretend that it shifts great and stuff so you don't feel bad about all the money you flushed down the toilet, but at the end of the day the new XTR will be much better.

Chiva

by Chiva

Benno wrote:K-Edge is just a terrible waste of money. Not only is a Di2 DuraAce derailleur in no way designed to deal with a 36t cassette, but there is no front mech solution it uses a standard road cage to try and shift smaller mountain rings. I mean you can pretend that it shifts great and stuff so you don't feel bad about all the money you flushed down the toilet, but at the end of the day the new XTR will be much better.

^This!

krzysiekmz

by krzysiekmz

K-Edge is a waste of money - definitely! I don't think they made a lot of money and the new XTR di2 will be the way.

As for Di2 and 36t cassette - that's why there are custom cages for it. Although I've only tried it with 32t.

Front derailleur works prefect with my 27t-38t chain rings. Three years in spring, summer, fall and winter riding. Never an issue. Always a perfect shift with one button. No adjustments necessary.

With the new XTR Di2 it will be easier - buy it off the shelf and enjoy.

Chris.
Orbea Oiz - xxxx
MSC Koncept Carbon Di2 - 6955g
Leichtkraft Team Carbon - 6868g.

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

I'm going to hold off. I must have left my brain on the shelf because I was considering a 1x10 setup and forgot the "brains" lie in the front derailleur. Defeats the purpose...

krzysiekmz

by krzysiekmz

There is no problem running 1x10 only. There's no ''brains'' involved there at all. All I could notice is the front trimming depending on the rear position. With no front derr. the rear works the same.

Chris.
Orbea Oiz - xxxx

motorapido

by motorapido

I can confirm Di2 ultegra does not have any brain in the front mech, all the intelligence is in the rear mech and with the latest version of E tube which now works with Windows 8.

I'm currently working on my own 1 x 10 mtb rig and have made a new cage that lets me run it with the One Up 42 tooth cassette ring so a 34 wide narrow ring up front and an 11-42 cassette.

Its a Ultegra Di2 rear mech with a custom rear cage ( similar to K edge and Sram XX1 with the offset top pulley ) and modified B spring load.

Also doing a modifed battery mount to lay the battery flat on the frame and using the Alfine Di2 shifter, this is easily modified to work with Sram type matchmaker mounts.

It all works fine as a rough mock up and test rides. Just waiting for a price back on water jet cut cage plates. Am getting a few spares made and i've got hold of another rear mech thats had the cage wrecked to look at fitting a shadow+ clutch into it as well. Will post some pics once its all finished off.

Deev

by Deev

Sounds interesting - have you finished it yet?

CulBaire

by CulBaire

I've been thinking something along the lines of a Di2 build for the proposed 650b XC race hardtail. I am wondering, and assuming the answer is yes - but can the climbing shifter remote be used w/o the actual brake / shifter unit plugged into the junction box or is there some electronic trickery required to get it to work?

krzysiekmz

by krzysiekmz

You need to splice the cables and solder in the climbing shifter buttons. That's for shimano climbing shifter on 7970 di2.

Chris.
Orbea Oiz - xxxx

EvoUltimate

by EvoUltimate

It's quite easy to mod the 7970 climbing shifter. I've been using it for more than 2 years on my MTB.

CXTony

by CXTony

There are riders doing 1x setups with Di2 in cyclocross (Ben Berden for one), so it is definitely doable. With the new XTR Di2 coming out now, you might just go for that route and run the 2x since it does the shifting in a sequential off the single shifter.

CulBaire

by CulBaire

Without getting too far OT, can those that have done the Di2 MTB conversion can you share some pictures?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com