Carbon fiber disc road forks

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

pushstart

by pushstart

Spot makes a full carbon 'cross disc fork for straight 1 1/8". That might work for some ... It is lighter than 600g. (I imagine there is a headset that will step down the 1 1/4"?)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

anj

by anj

Hey UpFromOne - I think we found our lightweight 1 1/8-1 1/4 disc fork (even with internal cabling!) thanks to bm0p700f's kind hint: http://www.burls.co.uk/titanium_stock.php#carbonForks. I asked them about weight, but it should not be too heavy given that it's full carbon. Even the price is not too painful (although given that I've paid 300 USD for my Defy frame, it will hurt to spend an equal amount on the fork alone... :)).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

anj

by anj

And there go our dreams of having finally found an easily available 1 1/8 to 1 1/4 tapered lightweight disc fork... Justin Burls just wrote back to me saying that the fork was wrongly listed and really is 1 1/2 at the bottom. Have to keep on searching, I guess...

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

Another article on the Mares:
http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/02/ ... les_316278

I might contact my local Focus dealer for them to ascertain whether the factory will sell a Mares fork a-la-carte.
I agree this seems to be the only lead right now for a 1 1/4" taper. But the proprietary axle is almost a turn-away.

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

pushstart wrote:Spot makes a full carbon 'cross disc fork for straight 1 1/8". That might work for some ... It is lighter than 600g. (I imagine there is a headset that will step down the 1 1/4"?)

Appreciate the suggestion, but that Spot is a CX fork with 400mm axle-to-crown. Doesn't really work for road frames.

Seems there's still a shortage of road disc forks for both the 1 1/8" straight and 1 1/4" tapered head tubes.

pushstart

by pushstart

UpFromOne wrote:Appreciate the suggestion, but that Spot is a CX fork with 400mm axle-to-crown. Doesn't really work for road frames.

Seems there's still a shortage of road disc forks for both the 1 1/8" straight and 1 1/4" tapered head tubes.

Yeah, I agree. It feels like the 1.125-1.5" tapered is the de facto standard now -- esp for road disc forks. I am considering the Spot fork as an eventual upgrade for my cx/commuter rig.

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

quick question for anyone currently viewing -
how about a disc fork for 1 3/8" tapered (ie Cervelo)? any suggestions or links pls?

maddog 2

by maddog 2

if 1 1/4 are rare then 1 3/8 will be even worse :shock:

the only possible option on both of these, from what I've seen, is OE stuff, taken straight from a manufacturer's full bike.

No aftermarket stuff. Ad I've never seen a 1 3/8 disc fork on anything.

I looked for ages to see if I could find a 1 1/4 disc fork and the only one I found was a Boardman OE fork, now not specced on their current range, so only available s/hand. Like hen's teeth.

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

so taiwan says 1 1/2" taper for road too, because that's what the tooling already was from the mass produced mtb frames, then the rest of the world follows? say it aint so bro! :cry:

tharmor

by tharmor

UpFromOne wrote:quick question for anyone currently viewing -
how about a disc fork for 1 3/8" tapered (ie Cervelo)? any suggestions or links pls?

Nothing. I've looked and looked. I've even emailed Enve...they said no.

Hugo7

by Hugo7

A friend has a frame with a 44mm headtube and is after some carbon road disc forks. I suggested Enve, but the problem is that he will want clearance for 28mm tyres plus mudguards (aka fenders in the US). I know you can get around the lack of mudguard holes by having them epoxy'd on after, but I'm pretty sure even 25mm + mudguards will be a tight fit.

Any suggestions?

I think he'd rather not spend Enve money if possible.

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

How about either the ENVE CX version or the Ritchey CX fork....plenty of clearance if he can get the geometry to work. You will have a tough time finding a "road disc" fork with those types clearance in carbon.

EDIT: Try Whiskey too....they may have something. Wound Up also makes carbon disc forks if the aesthetic works for the build, it may be an option.

Hugo7

by Hugo7

Cheers.

I know some people like wound-ups, but other than a few colour-coded ones I think they look grim.

I started to look at Whiskey. They actually have a really wide selection. I guess the thing that initially put us off a full cx fork was that it means more of a geometry change (guessing?) and that he doesn't need tons of clearance.... just enough.

The NO.9 CARBON THRU AXLE ROAD FORK http://whiskyparts.co/catalog/forks look like an option. For some annoying reason Whiskey don't seem to show any side on pics of their forks.

I guess ultimately it comes down to crunching numbers...

pushstart

by pushstart

I think clearance for 28mm tires and mudguards might require a cx fork. Yeah, geometry could be affected, but if there are spacers below stem already, may not be too bad (basically another 30mm axle-to-crown length)? The Whisky fork claims to clear 28mm on wide rims, but that does not sound like enough clearance for mudguards with 28mm tires. And the Whisky no 9 is pricey!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jooo

by jooo

@Hugo7 - what tyres and what guards? Specific models of both could make a huge difference in regards to what works. Tyres can be much larger/smaller than stated sizes. The space needed for guards can vary hugely - CrudRacers will fit on just about everything but if you're trying to run hammered Honjo's, a little more room may be required you know?