Campy BB30 cup adaptors vs Parlee BB30 cups for Campy

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

r_mutt wrote:Forgo the cups entirely and get a Campagnolo Over-Torque BB30/PF30.BB386 cranks. done and no adapters to muck things up!

Just the endless problems with BB30 that keep getting reported. And the investment required in special installation tools for the OT crank.

Let's face it, the idea of pressing bearings directly into a frame was a bad one from the beginning. And encasing them in a plastic ring before pressing them into a PF30 frame is just as bad. The narrow stance of both these systems adds to the forces acting to stress the bearings and their stability in the frame.

If I had to choose a pressed-in system it would be BB386 EVO which at least puts the bearings further apart as well as using a 30mm spindle.

But nothing really beats BSA. All the other systems are a solution looking for a problem.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

r_mutt wrote:Forgo the cups entirely and get Campagnolo Over-Torque BB30/PF30/BB386 cranks. no adapters to muck things up!

Now I see what i'm missing with my English Threaded bottom bracket
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

https://praxiscycles.com/product/conv-bb-campagnolo/

If you have to use bb30 this is the system worth using..
It would be nice if the frame mfgs went back to one system but that's never gona happen as it's just another way to push proprietary crank systems on us all...

But I'm real sorry bikerjulio, you may have had good times with campags woefully inadequate bb30 cups but I wouldn't be going around advising any one else to use them when there are much better options avaible

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

sugarkane wrote:
If you have to use bb30 this is the system worth using..
It would be nice if the frame mfgs went back to one system but that's never gona happen as it's just another way to push proprietary crank systems on us all...

But I'm real sorry bikerjulio, you may have had good times with campags woefully inadequate bb30 cups but I wouldn't be going around advising any one else to use them when there are much better options avaible

Not arguing at all. Last time I wrote about this, someone had asked Praxis when the Campy adapter was coming out, and got the answer that they were no longer going ahead with it. If it is indeed going to be available, then it looks like an excellent solution.

I'll have to go find that other thread now.

here's one. If you manage to sort out the endless confusion between PF30 and BB30, you find that the 4 or so users of campy cups in BB30 frames are all happy.

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=115195&start=15

lots of reading here! Although the original issue was a BBRight system which is basically PF30 on the DS.

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=93006&start=135

I found my source for the comment as to whether or not Praxis was going to make a Campy adapter. Here it is from 3 weeks ago:

Unfortunately Praxis won't be designing a conversion bb that will be Campagnolo compatible. I sent an email several months back and Praxis said they've decided it was no longer in the works. I'm pretty sure it has to do with Shimano being their primary OE partner.

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/components-wrenching/pf30-english-317005.html

One.

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

Interesting my country's praxis importer beleaves they'll be avaible in a month or so..
And it's listed on the praxis website. I'm also not sure where the shimano partner thing comes from as while they are ome for a number of company's shimano is defiantly not one of them.
I'll call the importer tomorrow and get the lowdown :wink:
Orthough not for my self as the M3 cranks I'm using are pretty awesome and I can't see my self going back to campag cranks any time soon

BRM

by BRM

Its a joke. :?

Contacted Praxis Works myself the other day, but they still can't tell when the Campy adapter will come.

I NEED a solution for my new bike.
Should I wait? how long? When I go for other solutions, I bet the Praxis Works will be suddenly available.
If I wait I bet we can wait in vain.

When they are finally available (if they ever become available), season is over I guess.

uraqt

by uraqt

anyone worried about the weight?

last time I looked the Praxis type Campy bb solutions add 100grams and that puts the solution around the same weight as old school square taper...

C

Pugrot

by Pugrot

I've been using the campy cups in a BB30 bb for about 10 months (11000km) on this bike, in all weather and I am not light.

It has not been smooth sailing, initially the drive side cup worked it's way out a few times, but loctite 609 with a primer has fixed it. I've had to build a tool to press the cups in and a buy a park bb30 removal tool.

There has been a bit of creaking recently but an overhaul and good clean of the hirth joint seems to have fixed it, I've also bought some loctite 680 for the cups in case the creak returns. The bearings are not as well protected as square taper but seem to be holding up ok so far, although I don't expect to go 25000km without touching them.

Overall so far not much more stuffing around than square taper, who in reality didn't used to have random bb creaks, clicks and issues? It is an incredibly hard working joint given it's conditions and problems requiring attention are to expected...

I will definitely by buying the praxis adapter as soon as available though, looks a much better solution.

BRM

by BRM

BRM wrote:Its a joke. :?

Contacted Praxis Works myself the other day, but they still can't tell when the Campy adapter will come.

I NEED a solution for my new bike.
Should I wait? how long? When I go for other solutions, I bet the Praxis Works will be suddenly available.
If I wait I bet we can wait in vain.

When they are finally available (if they ever become available), season is over I guess.

I see today that Praxis Works has changed info about this Campy adapter on their website.
Its now stated: Coming LATE spring 2014

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Just to liven things up, I have been reading quite a few negative comments about the Praxis solution as well.

If it was my bike, I'd be using the SRAM PF30 to BSA inserts, with Loctite 609.

See BSNY's piece as an example http://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.ca/2013/06/dont-have-cow-man.html

One.

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Not exactly the most descriptive discussion of the problem. He says it started "wiggle waggling". My experience with the praxis conversion bb's for shimano very good. No issues. No noises. Rock solid after 2 seasons and 4 installs.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

Waiting for Praxis Works is like waiting for Garmin Vector. I'll pass, since I would rather be riding with creaking than none at all. Just think, in two more years maybe a couple of more 'standards' will be out.
Last edited by Butcher on Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

As far as I know the praxis campag bb should be avaible in my country at least in the next week or 2.
I've also installed a number of the shimano units and had nothing but good times from those.

AptosBigRing
in the industry

by AptosBigRing

Hey guys,
Adam here from Praxis. Wanted to chime in here to give you info straight to the point from Praxis.

We too are VERY excited about getting our Campy ULT Conv BB out, but we've had a couple delays. That's all.
The straight up reality is we are a very small engineering firm with limited resources and we have to have the BB perfect. It simply can't come out of the oven until it's ready.
We are very close but basically making a few design tweaks. Being small and new if a product is not perfect, we're not releasing it. I hope you can all understand that and also respect it. Delays hurt for sure...but manufacturing something this precise sometimes has delays and they are unexpected many times. We can only thank you for your patience as we grow as a brand and engineering team. Believe us, we know big time how much people want this BB....we're doing all we can.

We have always planned on this BB...along with the GXP/ISIS2 version. It was never canned like some have said, and also we do not have any type of OE relationship with Shimano. That was a fun rumor to read. :D

Hope that helps clarify...
Again...we know the delay sucks... we're just trying our best to get it out and launched as soon as possible. It just has to be perfect.
Thanks!
Adam@Praxis
Praxis Works
Manufacturer
Santa Cruz, CA
www.praxis-works.com

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Thanks Adam,

It's always good to get the right story. I only wish more manufacturers would show up here to answer questions as you have.

One.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com