Video camera on Road Bike

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

WheelTester

by WheelTester

I have searched and can’t find any recent threads. What’s a good video camera that can mount on my road bike handlebars and/or seat post for taking video while riding? I am mostly interested in something that will record cars that are aggressive towards me but also want to record some group rides. I see some options on ebay… does anyone have experience with a video camera they can recommend?

Cheers~

shoopdawoop

by shoopdawoop

Shimano just came out with a new one; as did garmin and both look promising.

The industry standard is the gopro though. Tons of accessories and mounts. Battery life isn't that great but it's a good camera and very durable!
Last edited by shoopdawoop on Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rmerka

by rmerka

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

K edge go big mount and a hero3+ go pro...

Other cameras have nice features but none come close on what matters..
The video.....

http://youtu.be/YUbHMDsswjY

Nejmann

by Nejmann

go pro and k-edge mount.

GuyGadois

by GuyGadois

Nejmann wrote:go pro and k-edge mount.

+1. Don't waste money on the GoPro bike mount. It is poorly designed and shake and drops off too easy.

WheelTester

by WheelTester

Hey Guys, thanks for the imput. I ended up ordering a Contour Roam2. I got a good deal so I pulled the trigger. the reviews seem good and I like the size better than the GoPro. I hope I don't regret it but my primary use for this is security while riding. I have had too many close calls as the drivers in my area seem to be getting more and more aggressive towards cyclists.

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

I hate to tell you this, but Contour went out of business. You're not going to find any warranty or tech support for that camera. I know this because I am the proud owner of one that failed after 2 weeks at the Tour de France.

http://www.geekwire.com/2013/contour-cl ... pro-rival/

http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/20 ... ts-too-hot

dgasmd

by dgasmd

It really is too bad they went out of business. I have one of their first generation cameras and has worked very well for me over the years. Never saw any need to get GPS tagging and a lot of the other bells and whistles that seem to get people jumping like trained seals. Good quality video is really what is needed in action camera. Even getting good sound is a distant second in my mind as in true action video the image is king.

I have really liked the quality video of the GoPro, but their ridiculously bulky square shape and size have been the deterrent to me and a lot of other people. They do have a ton of mounts, which is one of the reasons they also became far more popular than the Contour from the beginning. Now, if they could repackage it, that would be a true winner for a long time to come in my book.

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

Maybe I replied too soon. Apparently they re-opened in the last month under new ownership. They are having issues filling stock and responding to warranty and other inquiries so I'm not sure I would recommend buying anything from them until they prove they are a viable alternative. But I'm going to try and get my camera fixed.

WheelTester

by WheelTester

^^ I was just getting ready go say that ;) I hope you gets yours fixed... keep us posted.

springs

by springs

I have a Roam 2 and it works well. The large on/off switch is a great feature, as is the rotating lens/image sensor. It looks more sleek than the boxy GoPro IMO.

Gearhead65

by Gearhead65

2015 Specialized Crux Pro
2013 BMC TMR01 custom build
2013 Cannondale F-Series 29'er, Carbon 3
2012 Cannondale CAAD10-1 custom build, 14.06 lbs
1980 Palo Alto custom build

psycling

by psycling

I have recently been exploring the same thing. Right now I'm leaning towards the new Garmin units. Excellent quality video, better battery life than GoPro, and compatible with the GoPro mounts (such as the nice ones from Kedge). Also they have some fun cycling specific features.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

shoopdawoop

by shoopdawoop

Interesting new comer to the camera game!

http://www.360fly.com/

Could give some really cool video from the middle of a bunch!