Quarq upgrade, what to do...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

audiojan

by audiojan

I have one of the older Quarq Rotor 3D's that has started to act up (the battery drains within days, even if I don't use it), so perfect timing with the recently announces Quarq upgrade program.

Big question though is to what… I have a Parlee Z5 that I'm in the process to add Campy Record EPS (yes, electronic shifting on a frame not designed for it… won't look super pretty, but not that bad either..), so 11 speed. The two options that makes sense to me would be the Elsa 10R or the Red22, either would be BB30 (which means I can get rid of the Parlee adapter I'm currently using for a PF30 frame). Weight wise, the Elsa 10R is 10gr lighter, probably within error margin, in essence the same weight. With Campy 11 speed, would a Red22 shift better than the Elsa, which is designed for 10 speed? To add to it, right now, I'm riding Q-rings, so eventually, I would probably switch back to that...
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

r_mutt

by r_mutt

I believe the Elsa and Red are essentially the same thing- Elsa being named as such for people who ride Shimano and Campagnolo and don"t want to mix groups. Get the Elsa and USA Stronglight CT2 or Praxis Works rings (non-clover model). those are both good with Campagnolo 11, but you should confirm that they both work with EPS.

audiojan

by audiojan

Thanks! That's kind of what I thought… bet the 10gr weight savings comes from the lack of SRAM logos and the red paint on it...
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin

aaric

by aaric

The red 22 is going to use the hidden chainring bolt as well - probably not what you want with a normal chainring...

tinozee

by tinozee

I can't wait to get rid of Sram and my Quarq. I think my upgrade will be like this - sell Red quarq on ebay, apply money (~1K) from that sale to SRM campy power meter. My quarq has battery issues as well, and the data just seems to sway over time randomly. The t6hing is less then a year old and very ho-hum. I'm also not interested in Sram hydro at all. It just feels like Sram is playing catchup all the time. The only thing I liked about it is the light weight, which hasn't changed too much since the first version of Sram red. Seems like this upgrade offer is a ploy to keep people locked in with Sram products.

drmutley

by drmutley

tinozee wrote:I can't wait to get rid of Sram and my Quarq. I think my upgrade will be like this - sell Red quarq on ebay, apply money (~1K) from that sale to SRM campy power meter. My quarq has battery issues as well, and the data just seems to sway over time randomly. The t6hing is less then a year old and very ho-hum. I'm also not interested in Sram hydro at all. It just feels like Sram is playing catchup all the time. The only thing I liked about it is the light weight, which hasn't changed too much since the first version of Sram red. Seems like this upgrade offer is a ploy to keep people locked in with Sram products.

You won't feel guilty about selling a dodgy quarq to some unaware buyer on eBay?

tinozee

by tinozee

That's a good point I guess, but not that relevant. I wouldn't do that to anyone. I guess i'd have to warranty it first, so even bigger pain in the ass. Thanks Quirq!

r_mutt

by r_mutt

Swap out rings and you can use that PM with essentially any group.

boysa

by boysa

r_mutt wrote: or Praxis Works rings (non-clover model)

Why would you need to use the non-clover model? I've been using the Stronglight rings with my Campy 11 and Elsa, but was looking to give Praxis a try. Wouldn't these work the same?
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

audiojan

by audiojan

Wondering the same thing… Have the clover 52/36 that will be installed on my wife's Parlee Z5 SLi as soon as I can get the connector tool out of the chain stay (yeah, long story… the special Campy EPS wire/magnet/connector tool is stuck in the chain stay… will get it out eventually I'm sure… plus the winter storms right now puts this project on the back burner)

r_mutt

by r_mutt

boysa wrote:
r_mutt wrote: or Praxis Works rings (non-clover model)

Why would you need to use the non-clover model? I've been using the Stronglight rings with my Campy 11 and Elsa, but was looking to give Praxis a try. Wouldn't these work the same?

I called Quarq direct and this was their recommendation. for whatever reason, the calibration for the Riken (and I'm assuming the Elsa as the difference is mainly the hollow crankarms) for the standard looking rings work better than the clover type.

boysa

by boysa

I wonder if it has to do with the stiffness of the rings? FWIW, when I bought my first Quarq you couldn't use Praxis at all due to calibration issues. That is how I ended up with the Stronglight rings.

Don't get me wrong, the shifting has been nothing short of superb. I've just been itching to give Praxis a try from their debut.

r_mutt

by r_mutt

boysa wrote:I wonder if it has to do with the stiffness of the rings? FWIW, when I bought my first Quarq you couldn't use Praxis at all due to calibration issues. That is how I ended up with the Stronglight rings.

Don't get me wrong, the shifting has been nothing short of superb. I've just been itching to give Praxis a try from their debut.

i have bent 2 Stronglight CT2 53 tooth chainrings in 3 years on my Quarq. very odd. shifting is ok, but not as nice as Campagnolo chainrings. I have the Praxis rings on my new Riken, and thus far they have been underwhelming. the change from the 39 to the 53 is a bit slow, and sometimes it refuses to budge. i had 3 different mechanics diagnose it to no avail. i called Praxis and they were as perplexed as i was and to their credit, they sent me a new set. initially, i still had the problem (thought it was somewhat alleviated), and it seems to have gone away somewhat but i haven't ridden the bike this winter as i have a CAAD10 (with a Cinqo and bent Stronglight CT2's) for winter duty. it's not as perfect as i was hoping it was going to be.

nothing beats the original Campagnolo rings for smooth shifting.

boysa

by boysa

Thanks for the follow up. Perhaps I'll give up on the Praxis idea and stick with the Stronglights. I really have no complaints, and in truth haven't experienced any noticeable degradation from the Campy rings. I'll count myself lucky!

r_mutt

by r_mutt

boysa wrote:Thanks for the follow up. Perhaps I'll give up on the Praxis idea and stick with the Stronglights. I really have no complaints, and in truth haven't experienced any noticeable degradation from the Campy rings. I'll count myself lucky!

i wouldn't count them out. it may be an issue with my Quarq rather than the rings. who knows. most everyone i talk to has nothing but good things to say about Praxis rings. but if it ain't broke...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com