Decisions:CAAD 9 vs. CAAD 10

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

rheosibal

by rheosibal

Here I am again..with another dilemma, help me out

There are 2 framesets that I have the opportunity to get at the exact same price, and no there's no way I can get both :(

My dilemma is strictly between the framesets, they would get build up with the same parts anyways.

1. CAAD 10 - Dura Ace Link

2. CAAD 9 - Custom Orange Pictures

So besides the obvious differences in weight, technology..I have a bunch of pros/cons so feel free to add to the list. The bike will be used in racing/training. I have "downgraded" from my Evo, but I feel like I'm making a good decision. I know that I want a CAAD.

CAAD 10
Pros:
- Lighter?
- Stiffer
- Better handling?

Cons:
- Black Color
- Everyone seems to have a CAAD 10
- Non 2014 (Internal cabling)

CAAD 9
Pros:
- BB30, Made in USA
- Heavily sought frame?
- Awesome color

Cons:
- Heavier
- Less Stiff?
- Enve 2.0 fork? (Not sure if better or worse than premium fork)

Try not to be a snob, I just need a bit of input.

Cheers
Instagram: joserheo

|| Mosaic RT-1 || Cannondale Evo || Cannondale CAAD10 ||

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

martinko

by martinko

CAAD10 should be also with BB30, even if it is with Shimano crankset.

drainyoo

by drainyoo

CAAD10 is BB30, and to me the black looks much better, not a con in my opinion. And everyone rides one for a reason, it's a great frameset.

rheosibal

by rheosibal

martinko wrote:CAAD10 should be also with BB30, even if it is with Shimano crankset.

Yep you're right, I should have been more clear. I only stated "BB30" as a Pro for the CAAD 9, because there were 2 CAAD 9's produced. One with BB30, and the other without. So the CAAD 9 BB30 is more sought after.

Thanks for the heads up though!

drainyoo wrote:CAAD10 is BB30, and to me the black looks much better, not a con in my opinion. And everyone rides one for a reason, it's a great frameset.

Yeah you're right, it's not that much of a con. It's basically between CAAD 10 (performance factor) vs. CAAD 9 (appeal/bling factor)

Thanks

davidalone

by davidalone

The caad 9 May end up lasting longer. If I'm not wrong it uses slightly thicker tubes. The caad 10 is a great bike but underbuilt imo. The ttubes are so thin they are easily dented. I've seen dents just from guys accidentally dropping Allen keys on them.

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

I love the color of the 9, but I think the performance factor of the 10 wins. You could always get the 10 anodized/power coated a different color.

drainyoo

by drainyoo

rheosibal wrote:Yeah you're right, it's not that much of a con. It's basically between CAAD 10 (performance factor) vs. CAAD 9 (appeal/bling factor)

Thanks

Get the 10 and do a sick stealth build.

rheosibal

by rheosibal

davidalone wrote:The caad 9 May end up lasting longer. If I'm not wrong it uses slightly thicker tubes. The caad 10 is a great bike but underbuilt imo. The ttubes are so thin they are easily dented. I've seen dents just from guys accidentally dropping Allen keys on them.

Yeah, if I were to get the CAAD9, I would keep it forever. If I were to get the CAAD 10, it would most likely be temporary for a season or two. I will eventually go back to carbon, but not anytime soon. I've seen alot of that! Dings everywhere, especially the top tube.

Thanks for your advice!

btompkins0112 wrote:I love the color of the 9, but I think the performance factor of the 10 wins. You could always get the 10 anodized/power coated a different color.

Yep, that's pretty much my debate. I would love a different colored CAAD 10, but then again that's another $200+

Thanks!

drainyoo wrote:
rheosibal wrote:Yeah you're right, it's not that much of a con. It's basically between CAAD 10 (performance factor) vs. CAAD 9 (appeal/bling factor)

Thanks

Get the 10 and do a sick stealth build.

Stealth builds are everywhere! Although I have nothing against them, I wanted something different. My LOOK 586 was kind of stealth, then my Evo had a splash of Red.

Not too sure to do stealth again, or something that stands out like a sore thumb (but in a good way?) :noidea:

ToffieBoi

by ToffieBoi

My decision would be better looking bike.
If you love your frame, you won't mind if it is 300gr heavier (I made up the number) or a bit less stiff. It is all about emotional connection with your bike :)

Anders

by Anders

The caad9 has a great color, but it's a pitty that the decals are not original. It just doesn't look right.
I would either find a NOS Caad9 frame or buy the cheapest caad10 you can find and upgrade as budget allows it. Stock bikes are just not very WW and kind of borring.

roadieboy

by roadieboy

Though I'm a CAAD10 owner, I would get the CAAD9. I think the 9's look better than the 10's, for some reason the more traditional tube shapes really do it for me, and how 'nice' a bike is, never seems to effect my enjoyment of it (unless it's really bad). Also, that paint job on the 9 is SICK!

rheosibal

by rheosibal

ToffieBoi wrote:My decision would be better looking bike.
If you love your frame, you won't mind if it is 300gr heavier (I made up the number) or a bit less stiff. It is all about emotional connection with your bike :)

I absolutely agree. I feel like I would love either bike, but at the same time I think that between the two, the CAAD9 may be kept forever.

Anders wrote:The caad9 has a great color, but it's a pitty that the decals are not original. It just doesn't look right.
I would either find a NOS Caad9 frame or buy the cheapest caad10 you can find and upgrade as budget allows it. Stock bikes are just not very WW and kind of borring.

I kind of like that the decals are different. It keeps things simple, which I do like.

I definitely agree, stock bikes are pretty boring.

roadieboy wrote:Though I'm a CAAD10 owner, I would get the CAAD9. I think the 9's look better than the 10's, for some reason the more traditional tube shapes really do it for me, and how 'nice' a bike is, never seems to effect my enjoyment of it (unless it's really bad). Also, that paint job on the 9 is SICK!

thanks! I definitely agree. I do wish I could have both, but I just can't afford 2 bikes. I would feel like I'm neglecting one.

drainyoo

by drainyoo

rheosibal wrote:Stealth builds are everywhere! Although I have nothing against them, I wanted something different. My LOOK 586 was kind of stealth, then my Evo had a splash of Red.

Not too sure to do stealth again, or something that stands out like a sore thumb (but in a good way?) :noidea:

Most stealth build are ugly and done wrong. You can also add a touch of color.

BTW, you Evo is sick. Why the hell are you selling it??

rheosibal

by rheosibal

no need to quote above...

Hey thanks dude, appreciate it! To be honest, I made a mistake of getting a proper bike fitting AFTER getting the bike. I replicated my position on the Evo from the LOOK, so I thought it was perfect. I got a Guru bike fit after, and found out that my most efficient and comfortable position is quite low..so the measurements equaled up to a 52.

I was never able to get that perfect position on a 54 Evo, so even though I loved the bike, there's this voice in my head saying it needs to be fixed. Fast forward, and I'm getting a 52. Decided on a CAAD because of liability. Bikes are difficult for me to replace if crashed, so with something at low cost, it would be easier to replace.

My Evo is pretty sick, but I'm pretty sure my next build is going to be pretty awesome :wink:

GuyGadois

by GuyGadois

I had a CAAD10. It was a balls out race bike. Super stiff and responsive. I don't really see much of an advantage of the CAAD9 being made in the USA over a far east CAAD10. These bikes are primarily made by machine, no? The quality of both is quite amazing for the price.

GG

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com