Trek Domane alloy version 2.3 weight?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

hjb1000

by hjb1000

Hi WW!

I'm looking for an 'endurance' road bike, and the Domane seems to be a solid option. My partner has the BMC Grand Fondo GF02 alloy version and that's really nice too, but I'm thinking of trying something different. I basically want something I can put large 28-30mm tyres on, yet not have the geometry of a CX bike.

The Domane 2.3 is the alloy version, and I kinda like it. But the question is, how much would you expect the frame and fork to weigh? I can't find any data on this. I have a fear the fork as it is 1 1/8 straight, will have an alloy steerer, which sucks.

Am I wasting my time with this model to try and make an affordable WW endurance bike?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I love Trek (as you can see from my signature), but not this one. Honestly, I can't find a single redeeming quality for this bike. The best you get is some 105 components sprinkled in amongst lower quality parts. If you're looking for an entry-level bike, sure, it's alright. Then again, you probably wouldn't be here if that were the case.

And as for weight, if it is less than 20lbs (size medium), I'll eat my hat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

totoboa

by totoboa

But the question is, how much would you expect the frame and fork to weigh?

Anyone ?

Not much info here for common alloy frames and the listings are useless in that regard.

fa63

by fa63

They had the whole bike weighing in at 9.27 kg here:

http://road.cc/content/review/85900-trek-domane-23

Should be able get a rough estimate of the frame/fork mass from that with a little bit of research and math.

hjb1000

by hjb1000

Thanks for the replies guys.

Totally understand this ain't going to be a sub 6 kg bike.
The intention was to purchase the frame as I like the geometry and comfort factor, strip it down, and then build it up with some decent bits. The end result I hope, would be a good bang for buck alloy grand fondo bike. I can't quite afford the carbon Domane, hence why I'm looking at the alloy version.

If the frame was in CAAD8-CAAD10 weight territory, that would be fantastic, however I'm suspicious the fork will have an alloy steerer which will add a bit of weight.

fa63

by fa63

I don't think the weight will be in the CAAD10 territory. I imagine it is about 2 kg for frame/fork.

hjb1000

by hjb1000

fa63 wrote:I don't think the weight will be in the CAAD10 territory. I imagine it is about 2 kg for frame/fork.

Whereas a CAAD10 is 1250g + 400g fork.
Hmmm, so not great

grover

by grover

In a 58cm there is 600 grams difference between the aluminium and 4 series carbon bikes with identical spec. So you can pretty safely say there is 600 grams difference in the frameset weight. In Australia the retail price is $700 different. That's just over a dollar per gram. Very good value weight savings when you consider the added bonuses that are likely to come from the material change.

Based on that I support the estimated 2kg frameset weight of the alloy version...and I highly recommend you save a few more pennies and go the 4 series carbon model.

hjb1000

by hjb1000

Okay, sounds like either I save up for the carbon Domane, or I was thinking the cheapest Specialized Roubaix SL4 which is actually cheaper than the alloy Domane! But it comes with Sora which of course will be immediately removed!

MajorMantra

by MajorMantra

Be warned that the Domanes won't take terribly large tyres. You might want to confirm, but IIRC 28mm is about as big as you can go.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com