Look Keo Blade 2 2014

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

kdogg32

by kdogg32

LoggingMiles wrote:
lippythelion wrote:Do the pedals spin freely on the axles? I sold my Keo2 Max Carbon because the pedals didn't spin very well & didn't 'fall' to the same position when I unclipped.
Nice bike btw :thumbup:

I have a pair of Keo 2 Max Carbon's that spin freely, and a pair that do not. I have also tried the old, and new version of the Keo Blades. Both did not spin freely. However, I have a riding buddy that has the new ones and they do spin freely.

Seems hit or miss with Look. I went to PD-9000 and will not (ever) look back.

Second that. Built to last forever. :thumbup:

gitsome

by gitsome

spartan wrote:just received mine. excited. placed on scale left was 92g right 108. on closer inspection i noticed the axle hex was different. someone at look installed a steel axle on the ti labeled pedal.
very annoyed. quality control is slipping.. sending them back for a new set ;(((

WOWOW -- I really think LOOK has slipped off the quality scale since they moved manufacturing to North Africa for whatever reason they are no longer the high quality brand they were and are now resting on their laurels and charging same high prices but are more like a French Trek or Specialized at best. I say this as a happy 595 owner but watching them over the past years my opinion has changed and this is another example.
My wallet is the lightest thing on my bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eajohnson

by eajohnson

gitsome wrote:
spartan wrote:just received mine. excited. placed on scale left was 92g right 108. on closer inspection i noticed the axle hex was different. someone at look installed a steel axle on the ti labeled pedal.
very annoyed. quality control is slipping.. sending them back for a new set ;(((

WOWOW -- I really think LOOK has slipped off the quality scale since they moved manufacturing to North Africa for whatever reason they are no longer the high quality brand they were and are now resting on their laurels and charging same high prices but are more like a French Trek or Specialized at best. I say this as a happy 595 owner but watching them over the past years my opinion has changed and this is another example.

?? I thought these pedals were made in France. Actually Look's web site says 100% Made in France. They say this for the vast majority of their pedal models (I think there was maybe one exception when I looked).

lippythelion

by lippythelion

^ Morocco maybe?

gitsome

by gitsome

I just mean LOOK the brand in general, not sure if its even true but its a gut feeling based on my own experience that seems to be confirmed by others. Maybe they've just branched out too much, clothing, stupid little things like that, I could be wrong. Not trying to bash LOOK or north african manufacturing at all, or french, the failures in pedals seem structural and engineering-related not manufacturing, it just seems like they're spreading themselves too thin and more interested in profiting off their brand name etc and maybe quality is #2 these days or at least somewhat AGain I could be imagining all of this in my head. I dont want to start a fight here. Maybe they pushed the boundaries weight-wise in previous blades and Im just paranoid or something.
My wallet is the lightest thing on my bike.

bdb

by bdb

Put on my 16s last night, the Ti version, they don't swing freely in position which takes a little getting used to, only rode them to work
will ride a but longer in the morning, both weighed in at 92..

Replacing an older worn out pair of Keo Carbons which were 124. They feel very solid when you clip in.

I use the zero float cleats so this is a very nice tight fit.

G6612

by G6612

Ok I have not rode with my new pedals as I yet, but I did sit in the bike and clip in and out of them to get a feel. I have the Ti version with the 12nm blade. What I have noticed is clipping in is very easy and nice click to let you know your in. Now my question is I am and have always used the look red cleat with the 9 degree float previous pedal is the look keo carbon. It appears to me that I must really twist my ankle to unclip a lot more than my previous pedal will this loosen up over time or will I just get used to it or should I maybe think on going over to the gray cleat? Just seeing if anyone has the same experience as me.

SolidSnake03

by SolidSnake03

Any more impressions of these? Have yet to see too many reviews and I'm quite curious...
Looks like I made a new 90 Proof friend

Rick

by Rick

I am going to try a pair of these.
For the Look experts: Should I use the standard cleats or the "Grip" cleats ?
I don't really care much about grip while walking, but squeaking cleats will definitely annoy me.

michaelten

by michaelten

Standard cleats are really slippery to walk on, I bought a set by mistake. I much prefer the grip version

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I second the "grip".. worth the extra cost
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

Grips cleats are good. I only had one cleat that ever had squeaking problems, I guess it was just a dud one - I cut some of the grip rubber away with a sharp knife, job done. Just wipe a drop on the metal plate on the pedal every time you oil your chain and you'll have silent pedals.

shoopdawoop

by shoopdawoop

+1 on oil on the metal plate for keo's; has kept my few pairs of classics and blades relatively squeak free for years. The grip cleats are also worth it, same relative connection but you can really move off the bike too, which can be huge if you have a flat or something like that. I want to get some of these but I cant decide between the cromo and the ti.

eurperg

by eurperg

^ Silicon spray is better than oil, it does not attach dirt but repels it...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Rick

by Rick

Thanks for the cleat replies.
With all my prior cleats I have habitually used cleat covers whenever I know I will need to walk significantly.
So is there ANY advantage to the non-grip cleat ? They claim to be made with "bi-material". So it looks like they have teflon inserts at some contact points. Do the non-grip cleats actually float any easier or anything ?