SoCal - Route 1

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

RippedUp

by RippedUp

Hi guys,

I’m currently in LA on vacation and loving the local rides.
My wife and I will be going on a road trip and driving North through route 1 all the way to SF. Will be taking my bike along.
Are there any places you would recommend to stay and eventually go on some nice rides along the way?

Any recommendation would be great!

Thanks!
8)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eric

by eric

I can't help with places to stay but I know about riding:

Once you get on 1 north of Cambria there's not much in the way of other roads. Except Nacimiento-Fergusson road which I am told is very nice. Its a climb up in the mountains.

when you get to monterrey carmel valley rd is good, especially once you're out of the populated area in carmel valley.

a little east of there, San Juan Canyon rd out of San Juan Bautista is a nice climb up Fremont Peak. SJB is a nice funky little tourist town, worth a visit and there's a big old spanish mission there too.

Once you hit Santa Cruz there's more stuff off 1. From Cabrillo (south of SC) you can take Freedom rd to Corralitos, then up Eureka Canyon, highland/summit and down San Jose-Soquel rd. That's a popular local loop.

There's tons of stuf north oc SC in the SC mountains. Check the Climb By Bike book for some of them.

LardLover

by LardLover

Not a riding recommendation but just wanted say if you are stopping over en route to SF that you have to stay in The Madonna Inn in San Luis Obispo (spelling? Sorry!). Be sure to request The Caveman Suite....... :shock:

You must stop off off in Solvang too :thumbup:

Oh, and visit the aquarium in Monteray.

And, if in Santa Cruz, be sure to visit the boardwalk.........

We drove from San Francisco to San Diego a couple years back. It was THE best holiday I've ever had. Would love to do it again..............one day.............. :(
Schnice :cool:

RippedUp

by RippedUp

LardLover, thanks for the recommendations! Will look into them!

kode54

by kode54

there is some riding in Solvang...and into Ojai. i've ridden in the Solvang Century last year when i happened to be in LA at the time. took a 2 hr drive up there to ride the century. was really nice area. also in LA, there are several climbs off of PCH, like Latigo. when i've been there, it was typically cool...but the climb was very nice. i'm not much of a descender, but i enjoyed climbing the hills up in that area.

yes, Monterey Aquarium is a must stop. also, if you have kids, the tidal pools nearby are quite nice.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

djconnel

by djconnel

eric wrote:Except Nacimiento-Fergusson road which I am told is very nice.

Ooooh.... on my must-do list.

djconnel

by djconnel

djconnel wrote:
eric wrote:Except Nacimiento-Fergusson road which I am told is very nice.

Ooooh.... on my must-do list.

Also, Santa Rosa Creek road out of Cambria is very cool, but the horse trailers going way-too-fast are a downer. I've descended it (toward the coast) 3 times now but I've never climbed it.

Out of Santa Barbara: Painted Cave Road (via Old San Marco Pass) to Gibraltar along Camino Ciel, or vice-versa: fantastic!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com