Soda blasting carbon fibre: will it work? Or not?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

I recently purchased a 2005 Scott CR1 SL frameset which I plan to use for a lightweight bike that I am currently building for a friend of mine. He is on a tight budget, so I am trying to loose a much grams as possible for the least amount of money. One of the things I have been thinking about, is stripping the clear coat of the frame. I tried this before a while back with Carbolift but it didn't do the trick for me. I don't feel like sanding it down or using a razorblade, so that is why I am considering to get the frame soda blasted.

I know of two forum members who had there frames soda blasted: 'johnymac' (Dean) and 'stumpys' (Scott Plasma). I sent a PM to both, but no replies so far. Does anybody have any experience with soda blasting on carbon fibre? From what I have read online so far it should be safe to use on carbon fibre...

Krull

by Krull

meanwhile any experiences with soda-blasting??????

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

v0coder

by v0coder

I got a litespeed c1 soda blasted, the results were not good. There were so many deep gouges and the finish looked so bad that I ended up having to use a ton of bondo and just did a cheap rustoleum spray paint. Whether this was because the blasters were not skilled with doing carbon fiber (they said they had done a lot of cf car parts), or because of the workmanship of the frame, I don't know.

But I wouldn't do it again for any frame I actually cared about, luckily I didn't for this one.

Krull

by Krull

thanks for answering.
i sent a stevens slc carbonframe for soda-blasting to Company "Mr. Soda Blaster" in Berlin/Germany.
Just talked to the owner, concerning potential damages in the frame-surface. He said, he is always starting at the bottom bracket area-if there show any problems, like yours, he stops and sends the untreated frame back, if paint-removing works without any damages, frame can be stripped.
lets see, i will report when frame is returned to me.

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

For info, my Ti frame was soda blasted when it was repaired. Not sure I'd be keen on doing carbon though.

964Cup

by 964Cup

What will you do to protect the frame if you remove the clearcoat?

NiFTY

by NiFTY

I would not soda blast a carbon frame. Just get a razor and sandpaper, its easy. No harsh chemicals, you can keep an eye on the depth.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fuchspk

by Fuchspk

The razor is the best way to do it! But a skilled blasterguy should not have any trouble with soda. You van even use normal fine sand if you just watch out and be careful. I toke some parts once and tried to destroy them with my sandblaster and it really took a long time for some parts.

964Cup - you do not need to protect the frame. Works fine without anything.
Last edited by Fuchspk on Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

P3PO

by P3PO

I used a razor blade to remove all the paint from a 2000 Trek 5200 carbon frame, it took me about 3 hours start to finish and it shed 80g. The finish turned out pretty good, its hard to get the paint off the cable stops so I left them and I did knick the carbon a little deep in two spots but I have ridden the frame for a whole year since I did this and have had absolutely no problems with it. I am a commercial painter by trade and I choose this method over using a chemical paint removal method because of simplicity and I didn't want to take a chance damaging the carbon with a solvent.

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

P3PO wrote:I used a razor blade to remove all the paint from a 2000 Trek 5200 carbon frame, it took me about 3 hours start to finish and it shed 80g. The finish turned out pretty good, its hard to get the paint off the cable stops so I left them and I did knick the carbon a little deep in two spots but I have ridden the frame for a whole year since I did this and have had absolutely no problems with it. I am a commercial painter by trade and I choose this method over using a chemical paint removal method because of simplicity and I didn't want to take a chance damaging the carbon with a solvent.

Is that how it's done? and I'm assuming we shouldn't be concerned to use this same technique on carbon?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqDNFvj4WqM

P3PO

by P3PO

if you scape your frame the way the guy in your video does it the blade will dig into the frame, when I scraped my frame I dragged the blade backward at a steep angle and that peels a thin strip of paint off without digging into the carbon.

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

Good call, thanks, better ask...BEFORE!

P3PO

by P3PO

you need a light touch, too much pressure and you'll peel a strip out of your frame, and go length wise down the tubes, BTW you can throw your warranty away as soon as you do this to your frame.

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

Of course! It's a second hand 2010 Scott spark, old paint.

ToffieBoi

by ToffieBoi

I am riding on a 2009 Tarmac frame and I am a bit bored of the color scheme now.

Peeling off all the paint sounds like a good idea. Totally different frame for free :D
But, do you guys recommend to ride a frame naked like that?
I am living near seaside, which means salt. Also strong sunlight can be a problem I guess?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com