Need a recommendation for bar tape

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

RyanH

by RyanH

I had Specialized micro-suede tape (it was on the heavy side 60ish grams wrapped) that was great for leaning on. Lizardskins were generally okay if I wasn't moving around too much, but I had to retape after 2 months. I now have Deda Elementi cork which has been holding up a lot better (and is lighter than the Lizardskins race tape) but is definitely on the slippery side. I haven't been leaning on them nearly as much as I used to. I may go back to the Specialized tape just because it works so well, even though it's almost twice the weight.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

redhed18

by redhed18

Have to recommend the SRAM "SuperSuede" tape...

Might be a little harder to find, but has a nice brushed feel somewhat like suede - still synthetic.
Good padding, probably on par with the other SRAM cork tape (used that too) but just a different feel and finish.
I imagine it would do well in hot conditions.

Been riding LizardSkins recently, but it's not cheap and it's bollocks how you get wear holes in the top layer of the tape.

The SuperSuede is almost half the price of LizardSkins and should last twice as long.
Zoom in on the pictures here, and you'll see the finish:

http://www.sram.com/sram/road/products/ ... e-bar-tape

1415chris

by 1415chris

What size of Lizard Skins is comparable to Cinelli cork gel? Is it 2.5mm or maybe it is more, 3.2mm?
Asking cos I want to try something new and at the same time avoid the thickness of Cinelli cork, which I had a chance to try out. It was not to my liking, too thick. In other words I am between LS 1.8 and 2.5mm.
Now I am on Deda Traforato, I like it very much, but as I said, desire to put my hands on something new, literally :)

TK421

by TK421

+1 for Lizard Skis, having it now installed on my second bike. I have big hands and used the 3.2mm think tape on the bars. Soft, yet comfortable and grippy..

Oswald

by Oswald

Frankie - B wrote:Lizzard skins for me. I like the fact that i dont slip.

Also, do you wear the same socks everyday?

No?

That is the reason why you should change tapes more often when you are sweating more.

I agree, some people ride around for years with the same bartape. Disgusting!!
I just buy whatever is on sale. Always cork. Since a couple of months I've been using Fizik gel pads too. It makes a bit of difference but not much.

mattythemod

by mattythemod

Lizard Skins DSP for me as well but only on my best bike as lets be honest its a little pricey , Arundel Gecko tape quite good as well .

LoggingMiles

by LoggingMiles

S-Wrap Velvet.

NJBiker72

by NJBiker72

eric wrote:+1 for cinelli cork.
Sram also makes a nice cork tape.

I will second the Sram cork tape, but not really different from other cork tapes I have tried (Giant, Bontrager). I like the Sram more but might just be that I have a Tarmac with Sram components so it matches.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk

barsook77

by barsook77

Silva Forello Perforated Road Handlebar Tape from Italy. One of the best I've ever ridden. Great look!

Fantastic grip. Cleans up easily compared to Lizard Skins and 1/3 the price. Cushy!

bombertodd

by bombertodd

I've got a little bit of time on ESI's new silicone tape. I love it so far. It's very cushy and grippy, also it can be wrapped inside out when one side gets dirty. Weights coming up! I can't find my scale right now.

PSM

by PSM

Pro or BBB.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

barsook77 wrote:Silva Forello Perforated Road Handlebar Tape from Italy. One of the best I've ever ridden. Great look!

Hey that could be exactly what I'm after. Really liking the feel of Fizik Performance, but am after a classic perforated white tape. Most are either unpadded and slick, or spongy plastic. Thanks for the tip!

barsook77

by barsook77

wassertreter wrote:
barsook77 wrote:Silva Forello Perforated Road Handlebar Tape from Italy. One of the best I've ever ridden. Great look!

Hey that could be exactly what I'm after. Really liking the feel of Fizik Performance, but am after a classic perforated white tape. Most are either unpadded and slick, or spongy plastic. Thanks for the tip!

You're welcome!

Silva Forello Perforated is very difficult to find in the states, however the UK has it in quite a few places.

sadisticnoob

by sadisticnoob

I am using the standard fizik microtex bar tape. Don't have a problem during wet weather

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

1415chris

by 1415chris

Guys, are these vertical dents normal on this tape, or it is imperfection?