Moots Disc Road

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

solarider

by solarider

Earlier this year I took delivery of a Moots Psyclo X RSL with disc brakes. I am not about to rekindle the debate (again!) about disc brakes, but for me and the type of riding that I do, they offer the best in braking both on and off the road. I don’t race anymore, so I don’t care what the UCI think. I ride for fitness, to push myself, for enjoyment and to be sociable. At 190cms, 95kgs and living in Hong Kong, disc brakes have been a revelation. Hong Kong is either up or down, and I am not built like a mountain goat. I have experienced severe brake fade with carbon rims, and discs are absolutely worth the very small weight penalty in terms of performance. I can’t wait for Campagnolo to produce a hydraulic system. Mechanical discs are a step change from rim brakes, particularly on long steep descents, but hydraulics will move the bar even higher again. Whilst they offend the obsessive weight weenies and traditionalists, unless you race and encounter the shortfalls of UCI regulation and wheel swaps, who wouldn’t want more dependable, consistent braking in their cycling life?

I don’t yet have a complete bike weight, but it feels and rides light. It isn’t as light as the Vamoots RSL with rim brakes that it replaced, but there is something somewhat reassuring about the stability and comfort that the bike generates. I have ridden titanium bikes for the past 25 years. I have ridden many during that time (2 Merlins, 9 Sevens, 3 Moots, 2 IF, 1 Serotta), and I have to say that my least favourite bikes have always been the lightest. My Moots RSL and my Seven Aerios (now the Axiom SLX) were both stiff and very light, but quite harsh as a result, and lacked the ride quality that I enjoy so much that keeps me coming back to titanium. This one is not heavy by any stretch of the imagination, but despite an oversized top tube and seat tube it has that buttery ride quality.

Using ENVE tubular XC rims (which are actually their lightest rim of any sort on or off road), the wheels weigh just 1,160 grammes, they are super strong and are light where it counts, at the rim. The rims are testament to what can be achieved where there is no need for a brake track, and I am sure that as disc brakes catch hold, rim technology for the road will continue to evolve even more without the need for reinforcement at the outside of the rim. I have run Chris King hubs for years, but I have been tempted by the weight of Tune this time around. They were a custom option direct from Tune. A King/Kong mountain bike pairing coupled with a Campagnolo freehub. The hubs are appreciably lighter than the King R45s on my other bikes. I didn’t weigh them individually, but my rule of thumb is if I can feel the weight difference in my hands, it is worth it.

The frame is of course immaculately welded as all Moots are. I had it customized with a PF30 bottom bracket, a 30.9 seat tube instead of the standard 27.2 on the stock Vamoots DR, and routed for electronic shifting and an internal battery. It is a bit of a hybrid between a Vamoots and a Vamoots RSL. It is noticeably slimmer in the rear wishbone than the Psyclo X RSL, but the rest of the tubes look a similar diameter.

It has the new post mount brake caliper mounting, which is reckoned to be an improvement over IS. I have IS mountings on my Psyclo X, and I agree that if you want to run the size of rotor that the mount is made for (in this case 140mm front and rear), it is neater. However, running anything other than this still requires an adapter, and I am running 140mm rear and 160mm front (and might potentially move to 160mm at the back too depending on performance, requiring adapters both ends).

I know that it has electronic shifting, disc brakes, a press fit bb, a 44mm headtube, 2cm of spacers etc. which will give the forum trolls plenty to troll about, but to me this lot are perfectly suited to my riding. So much so that my CX bike (Moots Psyclo X RSL), my winter bike (Genesis Equilibrium Disc) and my road bike (Moots Vamoots DR) are all now disc, and both Moots are identically equipped with SR EPS. Now, hurry up Campagnolo and produce some hydraulic disc brakes!

Here’s some shots of the new bike, plus the updated final fleet. A bit dark since they were taken in the lift lobby of our apartment. Will try to get some better shots in the sunshine tomorrow.

Frame - Moots Vamoots RD
Fork - ENVE Tapered RD
Aheadset - Chris King Inset 7
Chainset - Campagnolo Super Record Ti Compact
Bottom Bracket - Campagnolo PF BB30
Pedals - Look Keo Carbon Ti
Front Derailleur - Campagnolo Super Record EPS
Rear Derailleur - Campagnolo Super Record EPS
Shifters - Campagnolo Super Record EPS
Brakes - Avid BB7 SL Road
Chain - KMC X-11 SL
Cassette - Campagnolo Super Record
Wheels - Tune King/Kong disc hubs, ENVE XC tubular rims, Sapim CX Ray spokes, DT titanium skewers
Tyres - Continental Competition 25mm
Stem - Moots RSL
Bars - Zipp Service Course SL
Seatpost - Moots Cinch
Saddle - Fizik Arione CX
Bottle Cages - King Titanium
Grips - Deda Mistral

Frame - Moots Psyclo X RSL
Fork - ENVE Tapered CX
Aheadset - Chris King Inset 7
Chainset - Campagnolo Super Record Ti Compact (46/36 Campagnolo CX Chainrings)
Bottom Bracket - Campagnolo PF BB30
Pedals - Shimano XTR
Front Derailleur - Campagnolo Super Record EPS
Rear Derailleur - Campagnolo Super Record EPS
Shifters - Campagnolo Super Record EPS
Brakes - Avid BB7 SL Road
Chain - KMC X-11 SL
Cassette - Campagnolo Super Record
Wheels - Chris King R45 disc hubs, ENVE XC clincher rims, DT Aerolight spokes, DT titanium skewers
Tyres - Vittoria Cyclocross XM
Stem - Moots RSL
Seatpost - Moots Cinch
Saddle - Fizik Arione CX
Grips - Deda Mistral

Frame - Genesis Equilibrium Disc
Fork - Genesis Equilibrium Disc
Aheadset - Chris King NoThreadset
Chainset - Fulcrum R-Torque RS
Bottom Bracket - Campagnolo Record
Pedals - Look Keo Carbon CroMo
Front Derailleur - Campagnolo Chorus
Rear Derailleur - Campagnolo Athena
Shifters - Campagnolo Chorus
Brakes - Avid BB7 Road
Chain - KMC X-11 SL
Cassette - Campagnolo Chorus
Wheels - Chris King R45 disc hubs, Mavic Open Pro CD rims, DT Aerolight spokes, DT titanium skewers
Tyres - Vittoria Open Corsa CX
Mudguards - SKS Chromoplastic
Stem - Zipp Service Course SL
Seatpost - Zipp Service Course SL
Saddle - Fizik Arione CX
Grips - Deda Mistral

So, along with the pimp’d Brompton, that’s the stable for the foreseeable future. Future proofed, reliable, beautifully made and just right for me.

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

Butted titanium tubes would have been nice. But if Moots started using that stuff non-one would be able to afford them - they are already overpriced for what they are.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mattythemod

by mattythemod

Good looking fleet ...

by 855

very, very, very good bikes! in particular both moots bikes :D

i would require myself a constantly light at the Genesis...

by 855

ah, and the DR needs white bare tape and saddle!

gravity

by gravity

Love the ENVE fork with the lettering at the foot of the fork. Is that custom decal or stock?

TimmS

by TimmS

"my rule of thumb is if I can feel the weight difference in my hands, it is worth it"

Love the statement (and the bikes).

crimsonbadger

by crimsonbadger

Absurdly nice.

AndreLM

by AndreLM

Really nice! I also liked your Psycho X.

theStig

by theStig

nice rides.. but what I really find amazing is that you have room to store those in a land where the flats are 2m x 4m

solarider

by solarider

Thanks all.

I also had an issue with the Vamoots not being butted (the RSL is). But I honestly can't notice the weight or ride quality penalty, which was a pleasant surprise.

Yep, storage can be a challenge, but fortunately we have a maid's room (that really isn't as unusual or ostentatious as it sounds, in fact it is the norm) and no maid. Just these!

The weather here can get wet continuously from February to June, although admittedly we don't suffer anything like a UK winter.

The fork decals are stock. Not sure why they use smaller decals further down the legs on their disc forks when they use larger decals higher up their rim brake forks. Nice though. A bit more subtle.

mattythemod

by mattythemod

How you finding the riding there , some good hill training lol .

oreoboreo

by oreoboreo

Great looking family shot!
Let's finish the ride with a 20% grade.

2011 Scott Addict R1 DA 7900 Matt black
2012 Scott CR1 Pro Ultegra 6700
2015 Specialized SWorks Tarmac Da 9000
2016 Specialized SWorks Tarmac DA 9100

Roel W

by Roel W

What mounts do you use for your Garmin? Bar Fly??

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

solarider

by solarider

Barfly 2.0. Great way to mount the EPS junction box.