The wheelbuilding thread

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
legs 11

by legs 11

Yeah, I'd go along with that. :up: Nice little diagram, thanks for sharing.
Pedalling Law Student.

legs 11

by legs 11

So, I have a brand new pair of 36h Mavic Reflex tubular rims with the old Ceramic coating?
I'm thinking about building them up possibly on new shape Record hubs......but having a few problems finding 36h drillings. :noidea:
Ideally I'd build them on the old silver Campagnolo hubs, but this is not an option given the mental prices recently.
Anyone got any ideas apart from the old Ambrosios? Maybe PMP, but where can you get them these days?
Many thanks, Rob.
Pedalling Law Student.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jooo

by jooo

White Industries?

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

jooo wrote:White Industries?

Exactly my thoughts. Similar quality and durability as the Campys, and IMO just as beautiful. Plus you can get them in a 36h.

djay001

by djay001

Hi there,

I putted my hand on a sram S60 wheelset with a powertap pro+ 20 holes hub on the rear.

This wheelset is nice but really heavy, i will ride it like that this spring but i'm thinking about changing the powertap on a more standard wheelset.

I already have a front wheel alone, 20 holes xr270 with alchemy elf, cx-ray, alu nipples that i think can be a nice front wheel for this powertap rear. But the problem is the 20 holes only hub. For the moment i'm thinking of a kinlin xr-380 20 holes with the powertap. This will fit nicely with the front xr-270.

But is a 20 holes xr-380 rear wheel stiff enough for a 155 pounds guy? If not, someone got a suggestion for a rim with 20 holes in alu for this purpose?

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

@djay001- First off I'm not sure I"d go with the XR380. That rim is pretty porky and I think in the real world its less aero than it shallower XC279 counterpart. Yeah it's definitely the stiffest of the Kinlin lineup but if you don't have enough spokes to support it then its a lost cause really.
If you were on the new Powertap then the 20h would be doable, but the flange spacing of the old Powertaps is so horrendous that a 20h will build up to be super soft no matter what the lacing pattern, or the rim for that matter.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Legs 11 give me a bell in my shop I should have another set of athena 36H hubs silver 9/10/11 speed next week.

To add to Zens last post even a Archetype 28H rim on a powertap SL hub with Sapim Racer spokes was a bit of a noddle. Terrible terrible hub.

jooo

by jooo

The old PowerTap hubs may have pretty lame dimensions, but they're almost the same as a DT240 (which again is pretty poor). Many people have perfectly functioning rear wheels using that hub so why do people have so many issues using a PowerTap? I don't get it?

djay001

by djay001

Zen Cyclery wrote:@djay001- First off I'm not sure I"d go with the XR380. That rim is pretty porky and I think in the real world its less aero than it shallower XC279 counterpart. Yeah it's definitely the stiffest of the Kinlin lineup but if you don't have enough spokes to support it then its a lost cause really.
If you were on the new Powertap then the 20h would be doable, but the flange spacing of the old Powertaps is so horrendous that a 20h will build up to be super soft no matter what the lacing pattern, or the rim for that matter.

The powertap pro+ got better geometry that the SL+ (15.9mm DS), the Pro+ is 17.4mm DS and 32.4 NDS.

So basically, with a 20hole powertap like this one, it will just be fine with deep carbon rim? The sram s60 where is actually the hub got 60mm.

eric

by eric

jooo wrote:The old PowerTap hubs may have pretty lame dimensions, but they're almost the same as a DT240 (which again is pretty poor). Many people have perfectly functioning rear wheels using that hub so why do people have so many issues using a PowerTap? I don't get it?

It depends on wheel build and riding style. Flange dimensions are only one factor in wheel lateral stiffness. Wheels with more spokes or stiffer larger cross section rims will be stiffer no matter the flange spacing.

Riding style has a lot to do with whether a given stiffness of rear wheel is enough. Some people ride in a way that puts more lateral force into the rear wheel. Either when sprinting out of the saddle or climbing out of the saddle. For example I'm a skinny 145 lb climber who doesn't make much power but I break a lot of rear wheel spokes. It's because I do a lot of climbing, climb out of the saddle often, and rock the bike side to side when I do. I've tried keeping the bike still and but feels weird and unnatural.

If you put enough lateral force into the wheel then the NDS spokes at the contact patch go slack momentarily. That causes them to flex and eventually break at the elbows. When I was using my old style PT wheel all the time I had to get it rebuilt every 9 months or so (about 6000 miles) after more than 2-3 spokes had broken. Its been rebuilt six times. I finally started doing it myself, then got crank based PMs so I could spread the load across more wheels (and also could build stronger wheels).

It's not recommended by Saris but you can lace the older PT hubs 1x heads in on the DS. I do that on BHS hubs and the PT hub's larger flange will work better with 1x heads in than smaller flanges do. It increases the effective DS bracing angle by a significant amount.

nismosr

by nismosr

I have a pair of Ambrosio Nemesis and a set of Campagnolo Record hubs lying around and wanted to have a lbs do the build for me.
Thought I ask which spokes should I use, it will be an all around wheels and a heavy rider 198lbs. Through the prowheelbuilder website spoke calculator .. I need 303.6mm length Front and Rear - L - 302.9mm and R - 301. DT Comp length is only up to 300mm.
what do you guys think of wheelsmith spokes ?

thank you
2020 Colnago C64 Mapei-SR12 EPS-WTO 60
2021 Basso Diamante SV-SR12 Disc EPS-WTO 60
2023 Colnago G3X-SRAM AXS Force-Levante

ryker

by ryker

Buy spokes from your builder/lbs and let them sort it out? Wheelsmith are just fine.

TheGMan

by TheGMan

Hello All,
Advice please.
I am building a pair of wheels and would like advice on whether to use 2x or 3x on front.

Disc wheels for use on winter/touring cross bike with some use on forest un-surfaced roads rider 75kg (light touring no more than 2 rear panniers)

Rear 3x DT Swiss 465D 32h on BHS disc hubs (I'm happy with this)

Front DT Swiss 465D 28hole on BHS MTB162 Disc Hub (2x or 3x) ??

All Alpina ACI DB spokes

If I build 3x is there a chance the first x over will be too close to the spoke heads, 28 hole? and is a 2x less able to handle the braking forces??

Thoughts appreciated.

Thanks

G

kavitator

by kavitator

3x front will be good
also 2x
(FRM factory build wheelsets has 2x all over )
Last edited by kavitator on Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bombertodd

by bombertodd

Gman, I'd go 2x up front and 3x in the back.