Dura Ace 9000 changes to 9001

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

campagnolo321

by campagnolo321

Hi all

I've still no satisfactory answer from the bike importer regarding the shifter issues, Are there any updates yet from other members with warranty claims either positive or negative ?

Are there users out there logging thousands of K's without any issues ?

Worried about using the bike just yet until its sorted, just to make the matter worse the bike has internal routing so roadside fixes would be very interesting to say the least.

All help or info regrading updates are very much appreciated.

Thanks

Richie

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

GT8

by GT8

I don't think Shimano/importers will warranty the 9000 - in my email with Madison they assured me there was nothing wrong with 9000. if they let anyone change to 9001 then they will open themselves up to a flood! Most annoying considering we are paying for the top of the line gear

UncleJamsArmy

by UncleJamsArmy

Are the new groups being shipped with 9001 shifters?

Nebby

by Nebby

I don't know about groupsets sold by retailers, but the latest cdale evo that came in to my LBS had 9001 shifters on it.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I think you're going to have to wait for dealers to clear out their ST-9000 inventory. Most places still list ST-9000 as the part number.

campagnolo321

by campagnolo321

Two more emails sent in the last 10'days, both unanswered.

I think its maybe time to forward on all corispondance to their HQ in Germany, shame realy as I did'nt want to be a bitch about this, but as the bike did'nt come with the shifters that the UK office said I was going to receive then I think its about time to go direct to the organ grinder, or trading standards ?

Other fellow WW's coments most welcome.

Richie

JeffWarner

by JeffWarner

GT8 wrote:After fitting the 9001s and having studied the manuals over and over the cable still seems to follow the same route as the 9000. Doesn't feel like the path of least resistance taking the cable through 90 degrees but I have yet to ride the bike to see how it feels.

The most significant differences seem to be the lever shape and the way in which the lever attaches to the body - there is significantly less of the insides exposed on the revised shifter units.

Anyone else have any comments on the 9001 "fixing" cable routing issues? I've got a set of the 9000 Shifters picked up on sale over the holidays. Since 9001 shifter have not entered the US retail channels, I'm weighing the time-cost-pain of returning the 9000 and waiting for the 9001. I can live without the new body shape; but if the cable routing is improved, I'd like it.

All is can find is looking at the 9001 parts diagram is posted on the Shimano Tech site. The 9001 has a different shape "cable cover" (same as the 6800), but the cable guide (the curved piece, part # Y63X63000 (right) and Y63X55000 (left)) are the same. This seems to indicate, to me at least, that the cable routing between the 9000 and 90001 is the same.

Interestingly, the 6800 shifters use the same cable guide so chances are its got the same routing (and any issues with snapping cables) as the 9000/9001 shifters. Comments from another forum are that the 6800 does have "better" cable angles into the lever body than the 9000, so I assume that would be part of the 9001 design.

9000 STI parts (EV-ST-9000-3331.pdf)
9001 STI parts (EV-ST-9001-3647.pdf)
6800 STI parts (EV-ST-6800-3603.pdf)
* (don't have enough posts for links, so just the document number)

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Has anyone tried running "better" cables? I think someone mentioned that they had run Yokozuna cables, but I can't seem to find any mention of that. I recently picked up a set of shifters, and have a set of Yokozuna cables that I was thinking of throwing in there, to see how they handle the stress.

thanks!

campagnolo321

by campagnolo321

Finaly after a few weeks of waiting the consumer direct bicycle supplier ( thank you Canyon ) has at last agreed to replace my 9000 shifters with the updated 9001 version, will have to send the old ones back.

So if anyone else is planning on getting a new 9000 equiped bike please confirm with the supplier beforehand that you will be getting the 9001 shifters, could save you a lot of cash in the long run.

Just my 2 €'s worth !

addicted

by addicted

Any other updates on this?
I ordered a set of 9001 levers from Ribble a week ago, very clearly listed as 9001 on their website. Received them today, in an OEM baggy, clearly labelled with a big white sticker saying '9000'. Grrr...
I've already paid $70 in import taxes (Canada). I've emailed them about it. I don't feel like paying $40 to ship them back, wait for a refund to show up, then file a ton of paper work with Canada Customs showing said refund to some day get my $70 back......pain in the ass...

Mccaria

by Mccaria

Addicted are you sure they are 9000 ?

The reason I ask is that I ordered some 9001 from Ribble, and got the same package as you did, however although the bag is labelled 9000, the levers are actually 9001.

Before I ordered the levers I checked with Ribble to make sure they had the 9001 in stock and they confirmed that all their stock was now 9001, so I would be surprised if they are the older style levers. Have a look at the levers and if the gear guide is angled upwards rather than horizontal, then you have the 9001. Worth checking !

VNTech

by VNTech

The changes to 9001 have nothing to do with the cable issues. They were cosmetic, adding a cover on the inside of the shifter, between the hood and the brake lever.

Shimano does not believe it has a problem except in select, long-mileage cases. That's the quote. We had one break here at VN and they sent someone over to add a notched housing ferule to the right hand shifter housing, and greased the hell out of the cable. They also made a running change to the cables, adding more of whatever slickening agent they had been using before.

But that's it. They said the only reported cases had come from high mileage users who had not changed the cables.

More later.
VeloNews Magazine/VeloNews.com tech

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

How much mileage was on the one which broke at VN?

addicted

by addicted

Mccaria wrote:Addicted are you sure they are 9000 ?

The reason I ask is that I ordered some 9001 from Ribble, and got the same package as you did, however although the bag is labelled 9000, the levers are actually 9001.

Before I ordered the levers I checked with Ribble to make sure they had the 9001 in stock and they confirmed that all their stock was now 9001, so I would be surprised if they are the older style levers. Have a look at the levers and if the gear guide is angled upwards rather than horizontal, then you have the 9001. Worth checking !

Thanks, I haven't checked, will do so first thing in the morning!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

addicted

by addicted

Hey all, quick update - even though the packaging was labelled as 9000, the levers were in fact 9001's. And kudos to Ribble as they responded to my inquiry very quickly saying the same thing, that the packaging was incorrect, but that the levers were 9001. Verified by checking under the hoods.
Good price too, about $357 shipped after their online discount code (12% I think).
Cheers