campagnolo spacer or no spacer

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

andyhunter

by andyhunter

I have a campagnolo 11speed cassette 11/23 that came with no spacer and previously 12/25 that came with a spacer which is for mavic kysrium sl wheels, but is the spacer required or not? The spacer goes between the start of cassette body and spokes.

any help be appreciated in finding this answer.

tommasini

by tommasini

Campagnolo 11 cassettes are not provided with extra spacers beyond the plastic ones between the indiviual cogs.

I don't believe any wheels require a spacer behind the largest cog of 11 speed Campy Cassettees.......although Mavic might be the exception.........and if so that spacer would come from Mavic

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

It would not be a Campy spacer as Tommassini says.

I have a Mavic Campy freehub on my Ksyriums that does not need a spacer for either 10 or 11-speed cassettes, so I'm a little puzzled by the question.

I thought it was Shimano cassettes that needed the spacer.

Campy 10 and 11-speed cassettes measure the same width.

Will the cassette not tighten up without the spacer?
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

andyhunter

by andyhunter

After looking on the net it contradicts itself from you dont require one to bike shop stating you must use this campagnolo spacer on campagnolo 11 speed cassettes which is why I am posting the question on this.

The old cassette campagnolo chorus did come with a campagnolo spacer and never had a problem shifting or anything, this new campagnolo chorus cassette does not come with one.

I have fitted it and rode it but I am not sure if I actually need it ?

The freehub is ed10 is that makes any difference ?

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Sorry but you are getting misled.

I can tell you without a doubt that Campy does not supply spacers that go behind the big cog, and never has done.

If the cassette will tighten up OK without the spacer then you don't need it.

I believe we have the same Mavic freehub. I have never used a spacer behind the cassette.

One.

Causidicus

by Causidicus

Last edited by Causidicus on Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lannes

by lannes

+1 if the lock ring can grip the end of the cassette and tighten sufficiently without spacer then go without it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Causidicus wrote:The transition from ED10 to ED11 began with the addition of a 0.55mm spacer. Mavic part number 10603401. Probably more useful if using older hubs that had larger DS flanges with the then new 11s cassettes. After Mavic shaved any large flanges down and settled upon a common flange envelope across the range it all became a bit unnecessary to use the spacer, but it's useful to have in the spares box as it works well with other freehubs on wheels with limited clearance.

http://glorycycles.blogspot.com.au/2009 ... heels.html

If you buy a new ED11 freehub it comes with the spacer so you can use the freehub on the older wheels. If you buy a new Mavic wheel with Campagnolo freehub it doesn't come with the spacer as it doesn't need it.

I found that linked document pretty confusing. This part especially:

The 11 speed cassette is designed to fit on regular ED10 freewheel bodies. However, to fit 1 more cog and spacer, Campagnolo not only had to make the cassette parts narrower, but also to “cheat” on the bigger cog and “bend” it toward the spoke bed.

That's just not true, since 10-speed cassettes also "dish" the biggest cog towards the wheel. This was not a new thing with the introduction of 11-speed. There is a difference of about 1/2 a mm however.

The Mavic freehub that I have is about 10 years old at least on a Ksyrium SL. No problems and no spacers. Both an 11-spd and 10-spd cassette mount and spin fine.

Edit.

Did a bit more research. Looks to me like although Mavic don't like to admit it, they had a problem with a specific run of certain wheels that only lasted a matter of months. Those wheels require a 0.5mm spacer for the Campy cassette to clear the hub.

Other than this batch, Mavic wheels with Campy freehubs do NOT need a spacer whether it's a 10 or 11-speed cassette.

If your cassette spins OK without hub interference, you don't need a spacer.

One.