Consenus Expander Plug Recommendation

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I'm upgrading the parts on my Madone, and the next thing I want to get is a new expander plug. I've searched through the threads and can't find a consensus on what people run. I've seen a lot of people running Extralite Ultrastar 2, but some are running the Mcfk Expander Plug. There are also others out there.

Can someone make a recommendation of which they think is the best for the job? Also, are there any issues with durability or damage potential between the lot?

Thanks!

bricky21

by bricky21

Extralite gets the job done with the least amount of weight ime. MCFK is heavier and has more surface area, but I don't think it's needed.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jpanspac

by jpanspac

You should also consider the Cannondale plug.
My favorite components are the ones I never have to think about.

drainyoo

by drainyoo

I've got the Extralite, seems to work fine and it's light. Make sure to check the size of your tube because it only works with certain sizes.

There is also the Tune GumGum, but I haven't used it.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

thanks for the suggestions. I'll be measuring the inner diameter of the tube tonight, and I'll order something. I saw the gum gum, but Fairwheel is sold out. Any suggestions on where else to get them in the US? I saw a comment somewhere about the Extralite possibly damaging the carbon, which is not something I want to do. The MCFK looks most like the stock plug.

As for the Cannondale plug, any idea on weight for it?

rmerka

by rmerka

twohubs.com sells some tune stuff. They have the gum gum in their online store.

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

I went to the Extralite on all mine, after the GumGum started slipping. Apparently the "gum" piece tends to take a set over time and lose its pressure against the steerer. But I only speak for my own experience.

juanacity

by juanacity

Top cap + expander plug was 14 grams for the cannondale set for me. I've had a persistent and recalcitrant creaking since I installed mine though. I also put on new bars at the time, so I'm not completely sure what the exact genesis is.

G60

by G60

Does your plug/top cap creak right after tightening everything up? Ever since I installed a Zipp stem on my CAAD10, I get creaking from the top cap after riding for a couple hours after tightening everything to spec (I've got a in-lb torque driver). If I loosen the top cap up a little bit where I can turn it by hand, the creaking goes away completely.

I'm going to try running a spacer above the stem to see if things improve (yeah, yeah, I know Cannondale says not to), as the zipp stem looks like it has a very small contact area between it and the top cap, which I think might be contributing to a very minute amount of flex and noise.

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

I like Extralite stuff, it is beautifull machined, but I had to drill one of those expanders out after the threads siezed. It was a PITA.
Went with the MCFK and Carbon Ti versions. Both holding well. MCFK is very nicely made and a solid design.

I would not use these lightweight plugs to set the headset though. Use your standard compression plug to set, tighten everything up, remove the standard plug, insert the lighteright expander (and lightweight top cap, I assume) and then tighten everything up again, checking the torque on the stem bolts a second time is not a bad idea.

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

+1 on the extralite ultra star. Works on my current madone as well as my previous BMC.

Some question the need for an expander plug even, so I don't think the choice requires much thought - just get the lightest!

Wcl4

by Wcl4

My gum gum slips before I can compress the headset stack. Also it doesn't provide good "outward" pressure for the stem to clamp to the steer tube so my stem tends to slip. This is especially true with ultra light weight parts where the nm on the bolts are low.

VTBike

by VTBike

I've been running the gum-gum for past 3 years, no issues at all. I would definitely purchase again - such a simple and effective design. Not sure why other people had slipping issues - perhaps a chance in manufacturing materials?

Like another poster said, if you really are worried about getting the right level of compression - use a traditional expander to set; then switch to the lightweight.

lannes

by lannes

G60 wrote:Does your plug/top cap creak right after tightening everything up? Ever since I installed a Zipp stem on my CAAD10, I get creaking from the top cap after riding for a couple hours after tightening everything to spec (I've got a in-lb torque driver). If I loosen the top cap up a little bit where I can turn it by hand, the creaking goes away completely.

I'm going to try running a spacer above the stem to see if things improve (yeah, yeah, I know Cannondale says not to), as the zipp stem looks like it has a very small contact area between it and the top cap, which I think might be contributing to a very minute amount of flex and noise.

Try some carbon paste on the section where the top cap sits on the stem and grease the top cap bolt were it goes into the expander.
the expander may need to be a lit bit tighter in the steerer tube

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

Stolichnaya wrote:I like Extralite stuff, it is beautifull machined, but I had to drill one of those expanders out after the threads siezed. It was a PITA.
Went with the MCFK and Carbon Ti versions. Both holding well. MCFK is very nicely made and a solid design.

I would not use these lightweight plugs to set the headset though. Use your standard compression plug to set, tighten everything up, remove the standard plug, insert the lighteright expander (and lightweight top cap, I assume) and then tighten everything up again, checking the torque on the stem bolts a second time is not a bad idea.

So you didn't use grease on the threads of your extralite expander and it seized :roll:
Sounds like a serious case of user error...

1. Gum gums are not as good as the extralites that's a WW fact.
2. Extralite expanders work.. Well and well enough to get your headset set properly also a WW fact. I reckon at least 70% of bikes on WW under the 6kg mark have extralite expanders maybe more
3. Carbon paste should always be used as should Ti prep or good quality grease.
4. I haven't heard of extralite expanders damaging steerers if used properly
5. They are still the lightest set up and if prepped right there is no need to first set the headset with a 'heavy expander first'

These points are of course IMO but if you do the research you'll see I'm telling the truth