Wahoo Kickr won't register speed properly - anyone help?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

new kickr is in, but similar issue ?

I don't get Zero Offset during the spin down like kickr1 was giving me…. kickr2 give me around 850 for zero offset… but after peddling for a few seconds… back to hard as hell to pedel.

For those who speak of the optical sensor.. where is that ?

Waiting to hear from Wahoo on this one… really getting bummed out about this. First kickR worked for a couple months without a hitch.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

since I still had my defective kickr (spin down zero) tech support told me it has a deep problem and not user serviceable .
I stole the optical sensor from it and put it on the new one they sent me that showed signs of a bad optical sensor.. and bam.. new one is working

apparently QC with the optical sensor is still not very good, since my new one was faulty.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2023 Pivot E-Vault

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jan erik

by jan erik

Ive still got problems. After redoing the spinndown procedure in the wahoo utility (not the wahoo fitness app) I managed to get proper result. I think spinndown offset was around 600. I needed to move my kickr so therefore i realigned spinndown with now the result 703. And now its to heavy again!
anyone else could post their figures?

julianrh

by julianrh

I'm having the same spin-down problem and I'm waiting for Wahoo Support to reply. I'm concerned that this seems to be a common problem and for a piece of equipment that is so expensive I'm not impressed. If it doesn't get sorted quickly I'm going to send it back and revert to using my Cycleops - at least that works.

Horacio

by Horacio

Hey Wahoo!!
Get this thing right!
I want to buy one, but no way in hell am I dropping $1,100.00 for the problems others are experiencing.

jan erik

by jan erik

Horacio; A new bike? New shoes? A family Holiday to Arubia? If you google whatever you want to buy you are destinied to find threads like this...

Nebby

by Nebby

jan erik wrote:Horacio; A new bike? New shoes? A family Holiday to Arubia? If you google whatever you want to buy you are destinied to find threads like this...

Indeed. People that don't have any problems with a product don't tend to post about their lack of issues :)

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I'm all sorted out now … 2nd one needed recal and slope adjustment using that special app that tech support links to you.. about a 5 minute procedure. 700 does not sound right Jan.. you need to have the recal done and a slope adjustment, it's a special app with all kinds of crazy stuff, you need to give TS your UDID number for your phone and download the app after they link it to you. Mine was 800 something before and crazy heavy.

Just tell TS to look at your spin down numbers on the server..they will know what to do from there. They are really helpful.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2023 Pivot E-Vault

Horacio

by Horacio

^^
^^^
Very true

jan erik

by jan erik

I have posted a request to the support.
Last night I did a 90 minutes training. During that session I did 3 spinndowns. Kickr was getting heavier after each spinndown and giving me higher numbers.
What is the "normal" spinndown figure anyone?

VTBike

by VTBike

Horacio wrote:Hey Wahoo!!
Get this thing right!
I want to buy one, but no way in hell am I dropping $1,100.00 for the problems others are experiencing.

That's odd you say this. Based on this thread, i'd be way more likely to buy one. Here's a few people (no doubt a fraction of the total number of buyers of the Kickr) that are experiencing problems and getting tremendous customer support to get them resolved. What more could you ask for? As one other posted pointed out, there is not one product in existence that does not have a percentage of failures. It's all about overall quality, customer service, and experience. So far, Wahoo has proved top notch. You should re-think your reasoning.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

jan erik wrote:I have posted a request to the support.
Last night I did a 90 minutes training. During that session I did 3 spinndowns. Kickr was getting heavier after each spinndown and giving me higher numbers.
What is the "normal" spinndown figure anyone?

since 400w is the target cal value.. your spin down should be close to 400w Last one I did was 386w.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2023 Pivot E-Vault

julianrh

by julianrh

Wahoo sent me a replacement sensor and I've installed it and the spin-down worked first time. Kickr is great now but... the flywheel is making a rattling noise. Anyone else have that? Also, the Blue SC cadence sensor is not picking up - perhaps because there's no wheel magnet. How do you fix that? Any suggestions gratefully received.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

rattling ? no idea…

I find the blue sc cadence sensor flaky.. you really have to have the crank magnet and the big sensor lined up properly. I just slapped it on eyeballing it like I did with my garmin on the other bike and I had to go back and actually read directions.. you might try forgetting the sensor and re-find it… but I'd adjust position first. Also make sure you have the ap settings are correct, in that it's using the SC Blue for cadence .
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2023 Pivot E-Vault

by 11.4

julianrh wrote:Wahoo sent me a replacement sensor and I've installed it and the spin-down worked first time. Kickr is great now but... the flywheel is making a rattling noise. Anyone else have that? Also, the Blue SC cadence sensor is not picking up - perhaps because there's no wheel magnet. How do you fix that? Any suggestions gratefully received.

Are you talking about the cadence-only sensor, with the accelerometer rather than a magnetic pickup? It's an ingenious application of inexpensive technology -- same accelerometer chip as in the iPhone and other devices -- but for some reason I've been having problems with it too. I think the problem is actually with the Wahoo Fitness software. In settings I turn off the cadence sensor and then turn it back on again, but as the speed/cadence sensor combined. The software seems to like that sensor a lot better than the cadence-only one. You do have to switch the speed reading back to the Kickr or it'll just read zero (there's no wheel magnet actuating the speed-cadence sensor for a speed reading, after all). Then it works just fine, even though you are pairing it with what is supposed to be the speed-cadence sensor in the software.

I do also find that all the sensors are slow to pick up. The cadence-only sensor is the most problematic in this. I find that sometimes the blue LED in the sensor starts blinking right away; other times it doesn't seem to light up, and I'm not sure whether that's a problem or not (the LED would be a hardware problem of course not software). Once everything connects, it is very stable, but the slowness is greater than for ANT+ sensors I have, which again makes me think the Wahoo Fitness software could stand some improvement. I'd recommend you check both your bluetooth pairings in System Settings -- you should see heart rate monitor, cadence sensor, and Kickr -- and then do the Wahoo Utility, and then the Wahoo Fitness program. You might need to disconnect and reconnect a balky sensor, but then it works immediately. If your Kickr doesn't show, be sure that you have power and speed set to read from the Kickr and not from the speed sensor or other sensor that isn't installed. Again, once going, it's very stable.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com