ee cycleworks brakes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Lemule

by Lemule

An old topic I know but does anyone have any long term use of these brakes?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

I've had them for about 4 years. They remain the best brakes I've ever used in terms of weight vs power vs modulation. I've never had any isues with them in tersm of reliability, they are a bit of a pain to clean, but other than that they're great.
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

nismosr

by nismosr

same here my first pair is about 3 years old and bought another one last year ..no issue and easy set up and centering.
2020 Colnago C64 Mapei-SR12 EPS-WTO 60
2021 Basso Diamante SV-SR12 Disc EPS-WTO 60
2023 Colnago G3X-SRAM AXS Force-Levante

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

As someone mentioned, they might be a pain to clean, but they still work really well when dirty.
Speedplay is the devil!

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

had my set for over 10000kms, awesome brakes. took me a while to warm to the look of em but that was put to rest as soon as i had them in my hot little hands..
worth every penny and the new ones with the black pivots are so nice!! do need to be cleaned a bit more than a set of DA brakes for instance but who would let a WW bike stay dirty for long any way?

eric

by eric

Two years and still working fine. Mine don't get cleaned that often- I ride much more than I clean.

Compared to my previous benchmark tuned 7800 brakes they're way better- more power and modulation. I'm using Sram 2012 red levers.

I did have some problems with the return springs being too stiff. I've had some nerve problems in my left (front brake) hand after doing 5 hour rides up and down very technical descents. Actually it started when I was using a set of KCNC CB1s... The newer EE return springs were stiff enough to trigger it. So I asked Craig for a set of the softer original springs. They work fabulously- the brakes are very light, have even better feel and zero problems with brake return. The Sram levers have their own return springs and while I don't clean the bike that often I do maintain it well.

rmerka

by rmerka

They're great brakes. The only cons I see to the ones I have are price of course, and maybe clearance as the arms are fairly short and fat. I had one incident where I broke a spoke on the rear wheel and when it went out of true it rubbed ferociously on the pads. I was 50 miles in to a 95 mile ride. I opened the back brake up all the way thinking that would be fine to get home. When I opened the caliper up all the way I didn't realize that the tire would then rub directly on the arm of the caliper and ended up cutting through the tire about 15 miles later. Then I just repaired the flat and tire, and took the brake off the bike and rode home with just the front brake. I don't think I would have had this problem with a brake that had longer thinner arms.

As to cleaning, yes they are more difficult to clean but I feel this is offset with not having to worry about lubing the pivot points. I think it's a wash that way. I'd buy the same brakes again if I was building a new bike.

Lemule

by Lemule

Thanks for all the replies.Always good to get real life long term reviews.

Think that's made my mind up.Better get saving.

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

excellent brakes. only downside is looks.

Lemule

by Lemule

I don't mind the lo[quote][/quote]oks.[list=][/list]

Got that partisan bike build raw industrial look.

Maybe not the smoothest slickest looking brake but suits certain builds.

barsook77

by barsook77

Great brake. No issues and I'm not exactly lightweight @ 175.

Looks???

EVERYBODY comments on them to the plus side.

Tip on cleaning. I use my home steamer and they are factory fresh clean in under two minutes with just a trace of water vapor. Actually I started to use the steamer on the entire bike. No caustic chemicals or disassembly needed and now the shop has to look elsewhere for revenue.

Lemule

by Lemule

That's a good tip.I'm going to try that.

bura

by bura

@ barsook77: I am here with mike that these brakes do look like they are designed by some ambitious new graduated "here is what I can do different" guy.
IMO best designed brakes are the DA 7900.
Kuota Kom Evo
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=111825&p=955235#p955235" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SOLD

Lemule

by Lemule

Each to their own but I quite like the look of the ee brakes so that isn't an issue for me.

I can understand why people don't however.

Hopefully I can get this bike build done and prove they look good.

barsook77

by barsook77

bura wrote:@ barsook77: I am here with mike that these brakes do look like they are designed by some ambitious new graduated "here is what I can do different" guy.
IMO best designed brakes are the DA 7900.

Ya know, when I look at a new product, the first thing I ask is: How much better does it function than what I currently use?

These brakes are awesome when I'm looking for controlled bleed off of speed ripping down my Cat 1 mountaintops.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com