Making the transition to tubulars

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
barsook77

by barsook77

fdegrove wrote:Hi,

The "best bet" is to ALWAYS CARRY A GLUED SPARE in your rear jersey pocket if you don't like hiking back in your 500 buck lightweight carbon soled cycling shoes! Sealant as a prophylactic is a great solution to start with BEFORE you flat out. And you WILL flat out. It is only a matter of time because in the end it is only a tire. We should have thought about injecting liquid latex 30 years ago! Stan's works great and is cheap protection. When you mount a new tire...put it in! And carry a pump and a spare!!!

Just have to reply to this....
Do as you like but putting a shot of liquid latex ( no matter what magic formula) is ruining a tubular before even starting.
I'd never do this with any high-end tub (i.e. the ones with at least a latex inner tube in them) as this will also require you to keep the tyre inflated at all times. If not the liquid latex will effectively glue the inner tube together making it nigh impossible to inflate again without ripping it to shreds.
The same thing happens with butyl inner tubes and, god forbid, Tufos sans inner tube.
Not to mention clogged up valves and the fact that it's only going to work for a couple of months, it will always tend to solidify at spots where the wheel is already out of dynamic balance and, after all that all you have left is dead weight.

As said, do as you like but please don't spread it as gospel without mentioning all the caveats first. Thx.

Ciao, ;)

I always have some air in the tires so I never have to worry about the inner tube. I also never had one "shred" from the inside. Ever.
Although I heard all kinds of horror "stories" none of these concerns has proved true for me or anyone else using high end Veloflex, Vittoria or Conti's.

Clogged vales? Keep the valve at the 12 o'clock position when storing. Tires should be re-injected after a couple of months ... but by that time, our tires have already performed to their maximum life anyway so that concern is a non issue for us. I thought there might be a balance issue with the liquid...but it never reared its ugly head, so that is why I never mentioned it.

Guess you don't use thus stuff or you would have known about it. Don't like tape or sealant? That's cool. Do it the old fashioned way.
My guys set up all their high end rides with this system and have zero complaints. But they are always happy to glue!

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Caveat #1:

I always have some air in the tires so I never have to worry about the inner tube.x

Guess one of your guys does the rounds with a compressor to keep the pile of tubs inflated then?

Caveat #2:

Although I heard all kinds of horror "stories" none of these concerns has proved true for me or anyone else using high end Veloflex, Vittoria or Conti's.

Those so called stories are actual fact. Why else do you keep those tubs inflated? Good looks?

Caveat #3:

Clogged vales? Keep the valve at the 12 o'clock position when storing.

Same as #2

Caveat #4:

Tires should be re-injected after a couple of months ... but by that time, our tires have already performed to their maximum life anyway so that concern is a non issue for us. I thought there might be a balance issue with the liquid...but it never reared its ugly head, so that is why I never mentioned it.

Money no object, extra weight no object. When done throw in the skip.
Surely after a couple of fillings that extra weight must go somewhere? Oh yeah, in the skip...

Caveat #5:

Guess you don't use thus stuff or you would have known about it. Don't like tape or sealant?

No, I don't like it. Then again I don't have any guys nor cash to throw around either.

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dual

by dual

@petepeterson:

Bought them here: http://superlight-bikeparts.de/Tune-Cor ... pim-CX-Ray

Like the wheels mucho so far. Stiffness is very good side to side and torsionally. Cornering and agility are very good, as is braking with Reynolds blue pads. Unfortunately they seem to make a bit of a creaking noise when in the largest cog and heavily loaded, like going steep uphill standing on the pedals. Anybody got an idea what that might come from?

TwiggyTN

by TwiggyTN

I would guess it's the pawls creaking. Put a little lightweight oil in there and see if it goes away. That has been my experience anyway.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

dual

by dual

Thanks for the tip. Put a bit of oil there and on every spoke crossing and they're silent now. All good... :D

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I always go out with a can of pitstop and two glued tubs. I may seem excessive but you never know on 100+ mile rides.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

I always go out with a can of pitstop and two glued tubs. I may seem excessive but you never know on 100+ mile rides.

Me I take two spare tubs with a butyl inner tube + 2 12g threaded CO2 canisters for those occasions, never needed the second tub and I hate that Pittstop* thing as its so unreliable.

* It often seems to work for a while then later on when you reinflate it leaks again, slowly but surely. Never had such problem with Tufo (the old version or the Extreme one). It's pretty bulky too.

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

dual

by dual

I carry a 160 Gr. Tufo as a spare under my saddle. It got me home twice during the last 5 or so years. I'd not put that latex stuff into my tubs even in case of a defect. If the defect is small, i can fix the tub at home and have a perfect tire afterwards without any mess in it. If the defect is too big for the tub to be fixed, the latex stuff will most likely not seal it and be useless anyway.

Geoff

by Geoff

Ok, it probably makes sense to carry 2 spares (I know I have had a couple of double flats myself), but they are really bulky. Personally, I just carry one.

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

i carry a small bottle of stans, a core remover, a straight bobby pin ( unblocking extenders ), a core remover, a small length of rubber tube ( to help get the sealant in ) and a bottle of loctite power flex super glue. plus at least $50 more on longer trips.

i only use the sealant if i have too and not a lot. never had a tire shred its tube and only have to use the sealant towards the end of its life when they square off and become fragile.
plugging the hole with the rubberised super glue was a revolution for me.. it took my ride home with a puncher from 70% to 95% and allows me to ride my veloflex carbons into the cords ( once the tire become thin i use the glue to fix any holes and cuts that i find..

normal super glue will get you home but it becomes brittle and falls out..

i took a spare glued tub to Cali with me on my trip but even on the solo rides well over 100kms that i did into places unknown i didn't bother to take it out with me.. in the 700+ kms i did the only puncher i got was on the san fran rapha cc ride where my very worn rear tire objected too the ensuing gravel bashing those boys love to do.

Geoff

by Geoff

Oh yeah, forgot. Don't forget the BB :oops:

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

BB?

dual

by dual

BottomBracket? :shock:

Geoff

by Geoff