DI2 vs Rear Derailleur Hangers

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

aosty

by aosty

DaleRider wrote:Update:

Just called Shimano tech support and spoke with Justin (great guy BTW). He said that the 7900 and 7970-RD use the same cage, but the assembly process is slightly different. He also said that the 7970 cages can still be ordered, they just don't have any instock in the US, but the total for both plates is $366. So I have 2 options:

1. Spend $366 on new cages
2. Take one of the 7900 rear dreailleurs I have in the basement at strip the cage from it.

I think I'll be going with option 2 and ordering a few 7900-RDs from Fleabay should this happen again.

DaleRider - Did you successfully swap the cage? Just curious.

TIA

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

carbonLORD
in the industry

by carbonLORD

You think thats fun, my Di2 swung up and punched a hole in my S-Works Venge resulting is a €180 repair, but at least it came out flawless, (650Km ridden since without a hint of issues). Why my RD needs to swing that much without a stop is beyond me. Reported the incident to Specialized and Shimano for the record.

carbonLORD.com

bombertodd

by bombertodd

I don't have a solution but I used to use WheelsMFG hangers and bent quite a few. I switched to 925 Engineering hangers and they seem a little better. They are also only $10, yet a little more crud looking. If I bent many hangers I'd buy a hanger alignment tool. They work great!

Jere

by Jere

shoopdawoop wrote:Yes, I thought I was the only one. I have a cervelo s5 with ultegra di2 and it absolutely shreds derailleur hangers. I've replaced 3 in the last 6 months and it never stays tuned up perfectly like di2 should.

Hi
I to had trouble with my S5 deraileur hanger.
The frame mount is so far out of aliment I had to twist the hell out of the hanger with the aliment tool.
Plus how tight you make the wheel shewers changes the derailer setting.
One thing I,ve noticed that people who shift will out pedaling are twisting the hell out of the hanger
because the deraileur motor stronger than the hanger ! They got in the habit of pre shifting before exiting a sharp turn which is no trouble with mech shifting.
Jere

DaleRider

by DaleRider

aosty wrote:
DaleRider wrote:Update:

Just called Shimano tech support and spoke with Justin (great guy BTW). He said that the 7900 and 7970-RD use the same cage, but the assembly process is slightly different. He also said that the 7970 cages can still be ordered, they just don't have any instock in the US, but the total for both plates is $366. So I have 2 options:

1. Spend $366 on new cages
2. Take one of the 7900 rear dreailleurs I have in the basement at strip the cage from it.

I think I'll be going with option 2 and ordering a few 7900-RDs from Fleabay should this happen again.

DaleRider - Did you successfully swap the cage? Just curious.

TIA

Yes I did. Worked perfectly.