Fave new Trainer: Wahoo KICKR

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

CharlesM

by CharlesM

The review is here: http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/page/latest-news/?id=118846

Really good stuff.
Last edited by CharlesM on Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

wow! good review thanks for sharing!

Nebby

by Nebby

I love mine, especially when paired with TrainerRoad.

by 11.4

Charles is the best.

For an additional confirming opinion, check this:

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/03/fitn ... eview.html

I just got one. Far and away the best I've ever seen, and that includes the SRM, Velotron, Computrainer, professional ergos, and others. Totally worth the money and the software and telemetry interfaces will only make it more valuable over time.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

What's the feel like compared to the Lemond Revolution?
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Love mine as well... They have some growing pains.. But tech support is top notch . I'm on my second one.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Found the answer I was looking for in dcrainmaker's review. I've been on the Lemond and can concur with dcrainmaker's assessment that the Lemond's road feel is very realistic. According to dcrainmaker the Kickr's road feel is "sorta realistic". But damn, the Kickr sure has a lot of fancy features. So, for features... the Kickr. For feel, the Lemond. Downside to the Lemond is most definitely the noise however. No good if you're in an apartment or something.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by 11.4

Calnago wrote:Found the answer I was looking for in dcrainmaker's review. I've been on the Lemond and can concur with dcrainmaker's assessment that the Lemond's road feel is very realistic. According to dcrainmaker the Kickr's road feel is "sorta realistic". But damn, the Kickr sure has a lot of fancy features. So, for features... the Kickr. For feel, the Lemond. Downside to the Lemond is most definitely the noise however. No good if you're in an apartment or something.

I'd rate the Kickr road feel as better than the Lemond's. Hands down. Smoother and longer spin up and spin down, none of that "riding on awful tires" feeling, and very smooth and linear progression of resistance. I think what DCRainmaker noticed was that you can put extremely high resistance onto the Kickr, significantly more than the Lemond. If you turn up the effective resistance higher on the Kickr, then yes, you feel resistance, more than you feel on the Lemond which doesn't get that high. Try them both at, say, 200 watts, and they are as smooth with better windup and wind down on the Kickr.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Interesting. I can't compare the two one way or another, since I've only been on the Lemond. But I do like how it feels, for sure. I like that the resistance is created as a result of your pedaling, and you can run through the gears, just like on the road. I'm not wanting for any more resistance than I can produce through pedaling. I think that's why DCRainmaker may think it feels more "real"... when you get on a bike and start riding, there's little if any resistance. As you pick up speed, it gets harder. Only downside to the Lemond I've found is the noise. DCRainmaker certainly said that you can add resistance to the Kickr, unlike the Lemond, however he also described the feel as "very real" on the Lemond vs "sorta real" on the Kickr. I don't know. But you've ridden both, right? So with conflicting answers, like anything in life with conflicting answers, guess I'll just have to try one myself if I get the chance. Thanks for your input. When you say there's "none of that awful tires" feeling, you must be referring to trainers other than the Lemond, right... since both the Lemond and the Kickr have the rear wheels removed when in the trainer.

by 11.4

Calnago wrote:Interesting. When you say there's "none of that awful tires" feeling, you must be referring to trainers other than the Lemond, right... since both the Lemond and the Kickr have the rear wheels removed when in the trainer.

Correct. But I would also say that if you try to do high wattage efforts on the Lemond, it acts like all fan units and starts to drag because it can't clear the air from the turbine area. With the Wahoo there's no need to clear air so you don't have physical limitations that alter the linearity of the power curve. Again, that makes me favor the Wahoo.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Hmmm, I don't think the Lemond does act like all fan units simply because of the huge flywheel. ?? I'm not sure what you mean when you say it drags with high wattage efforts. Oh well, I'll give it a go just for kicks when I find one. Was just curious about it. Thx. Truth is, I hate stationary trainers of any kind, which is why my Lemond mostly collects dust. :).

commfire

by commfire

Nebby wrote:I love mine, especially when paired with TrainerRoad.

When paired with TR does the wahoo act similar to a computrainer. Is the load generated for you without the need to shift?

Causidicus

by Causidicus

Last edited by Causidicus on Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RyanH

by RyanH

Is this quiet enough to be used in an apartment? Will people below hear?

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

RyanH wrote:Is this quiet enough to be used in an apartment? Will people below hear?

nice thick rubberish type mat and I would think you would be ok
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com