Cockpit: Enve vs. Deda vs. Ritchey vs. Zipp

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

rheosibal

by rheosibal

So I'm currently building up a 2014 CAAD 10-3 (Black) frameset and I was wondering what cockpit would be the best.

Prices aside, I'm debating between 5 combinations. I am a huge sucker for a matching cockpit although my current Evo is mismatched... The three combinations don't differ much in weight, so I'm just looking for other users' opinions.

Feel free to post any other combinations. I do love WW options like Extralite, Tune, etc, but they are really out of my range at the moment.

So you have an idea, the measurements would be
Handlebars: 40cm or 42cm (c-c)
Stem: 120mm
Seatpost: 0mm-25mm setback

Option 1:
Enve Stem
Enve Compact
Enve Stem
Enve Seatpost (25mm Offset)
Combined Listed Weight: 515g

Option 2:
Deda Superleggera
Deda Superleggero
Deda Superleggero RS
Combined Listed Weight: 455g

Option 3:
Ritchey SuperLogic EvoCurve
Ritchey SuperLogic Carbon C260
Ritchey SuperLogic Carbon 1-Bolt
Combined listed weight: 468g

Option 4:
Ritchey WCS MonoCurve Integrated
Ritchey SuperLogic Carbon 1-Bolt
Combined listed weight: 501g

Option 5:
I already own Zipp Service Course SL bars and I would purchase:
Zipp SL Sprint Stem
Zipp SL Speed Seatpost
Combined listed weight: 600g

Again, these are just options that I came up with. Feel free to help me out with input if you've had experience with these parts or if you have other suggestions.

Cheers
Instagram: joserheo

|| Mosaic RT-1 || Cannondale Evo || Cannondale CAAD10 ||

fa63

by fa63

This being WW, of course the lightest combination is the best.

However, knowing that Italians seem to use a different weighing system than the rest of us (everything Italian I have bought weighed at least 10 percent more than claimed), I think the Ritchey combo (#3) might be the best option :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DMF

by DMF

What do you mean "Seatpost: 0mm-25mm setback"?? Like saying I need a pair of shoes, size EUR 40-45/US 7-10...

And kind of like the seatpost, with the handlebar, get the one that fits YOU! If you're uncertain what shapes you like/dislike, buy cheap alu bars with the shape you're most interested in and try them out.

Technically speaking, between the top offers of the brands you name, and most similar brands, the quality difference is just a complete wash. And no one can tell you what shape you like best, and this is the only real (and more critically, important) difference here.

And you make no mention of what specific shapes you like. I presume you don't know yet yourself, so you need to do the dirty work, there are no forum short cuts here. Try out aluminum bars.

martinko

by martinko

What about Pro Vibe cockpit? I have weighed mine:

Stem: Pro Vibe UD Carbon -10° 110mm - 138g (claimed to be 115g, which is correct without the front plate)
Seatpost: Pro Vibe UD Carbon (0mm offset) 27.2x350mm - 195g
Handlebars: Pro Vibe UD Carbon Anatomic 44cm - 218g
Total: 551g

Then comes the problem of matching the rest of the bike :) Pro is Shimano so the groupset should be Shimano. However, CAAD10 is BB30, so which crankset? If I strip all my FSA parts, I don't like to see FSA crankset on my bike. Maybe SRAM crankset + Shimano rest combo, or some other option :)

G60

by G60

Going by advertised weights you could save ~45g and much $$ by using a Zipp service course SL stem instead of the SL Sprint.

lannes

by lannes

New Ultimate is another good cockpit for the weight weenie, the EVO range, a bit cheaper than the other brands.
Their published weights are spot on, as I have the stem and seatpost on my ghisallo build

Carbon EVO Seatpost (117g)
http://newultimate.com/seatpost/evo-2

AL EVO Stem (106g for 100mm)
http://newultimate.com/stem/stem-evo-7050-ti-bolt

Carbon EVO RACE handle bars (170g)

http://newultimate.com/handlebars/evo-race
or just use the ZIPP SL (I'm using that combination as well)

Total is 387g

Extralite as well, but that is more expensive.

AndreLM

by AndreLM

I personally gave up on matching parts. This is for pros with contractual obligations :)
On my next build, I will go with Extralite stem and Omni seatpost. I currently have a Zipp Service Course SL handlebar, but would like to try a Thomson Carbon for a change.

project3

by project3

How about 3T?

elfuinha

by elfuinha

Since money don't seem an issue why don't you wait till next month and do a MCFK, combo:

Stem - 75g (120mm -????)
Handlebar - 165g

Offset seapost - 115g
355g
And you will spend almost the same if you went for ENVE.

Even if it weights 10% more, because there isn't any accurate weight of the 120mm stem, it will be the lightest combo.
Regards

drainyoo

by drainyoo

I'm building up a CAAD10 as well, and I went with a Ritchey WCS carbon cockpit. Here are the real weights:

Ritchey WCS Carbon Curve 40mm: 207g
Ritchey WCS 4-Axis Carbon 100mm: 117g
Ritchey WCS Carbon 1-Bolt 27.2x350 tuned with a Ti bolt: 180g

Total weight: 504g

Photos of the setup are below. It's a nice looking setup, but since it's about making things light, I am thinking of scrapping this setup and mixing parts up to get the lighter option:

Zipp SL or 3T Ergosum LTD Bars: 168g
Extralite Road OC Stem: 83g
Ritchey Superlogic Carbon 1-Bolt Seatpost: 148g

Total weight: 399g

drainyoo

by drainyoo

elfuinha wrote:Since money don't seem an issue why don't you wait till next month and do a MCFK, combo:

Stem - 75g (120mm -????)
Handlebar - 165g

Offset seapost - 115g
355g
And you will spend almost the same if you went for ENVE.

Even if it weights 10% more, because there isn't any accurate weight of the 120mm stem, it will be the lightest combo.
Regards

I priced out the MCFK cockpit because I love it, and it would cost around $1,200. That's nutty. You can get close to that weight with much more affordable parts, as I listed above.

rheosibal

by rheosibal

DMF wrote:What do you mean "Seatpost: 0mm-25mm setback"?? Like saying I need a pair of shoes, size EUR 40-45/US 7-10...

And kind of like the seatpost, with the handlebar, get the one that fits YOU! If you're uncertain what shapes you like/dislike, buy cheap alu bars with the shape you're most interested in and try them out.

Technically speaking, between the top offers of the brands you name, and most similar brands, the quality difference is just a complete wash. And no one can tell you what shape you like best, and this is the only real (and more critically, important) difference here.

And you make no mention of what specific shapes you like. I presume you don't know yet yourself, so you need to do the dirty work, there are no forum short cuts here. Try out aluminum bars.

Yikes, don't jump to conclusions and act as if I'm clueless.

1. 0-25mm setback are the "OPTIONS" that I included. My fit on the bike can be established despite the setback, I'm sorry if that was not stated. It has nothing to do with how a shoe fits...

2. I chose bars that are compact. All that I have listed have similar drop/reach to bars that I already have. I have always used aluminum bars, hence the reason why I chose carbon bars with similar geometry.

All I'm asking is user preferences. There's nothing that I asked that has to do with how something fits, I already know those measurements.

tinozee

by tinozee

I have both the full carbon zipp and ritchey WCS setups on two different bikes. Both perform great! I seriously can't find any issue with those parts. The only issue with the Ritchey post - 0mm setback is pretty stiff and brutal on long rides, while the 25mm version is plush and comfy.

I have the luxury of access to a lot of Ritchey parts. I prefer the carbon curve bar, WCS carbon one bolt 25mm setback, and the wcs 260 carbon stem (but it's a pain in the butt to switch bars). As for the look, I like UD carbon black in either Ritchey or Zipp. I think they are both a good match for a Sram red group and a sporty frame like a S-Works, C-dale or Scott with Zipp wheels. These parts seem to clash with Italian or German brands which look better with Campy or Shimano. I also wouldn't mix zipp and Shimano in an ideal setup. Of course, if something breaks or cost is a concern, then a mix of parts is fine. Hell, anything is fine if it keeps you riding.

I agree that it looks best to have a matching cockpit on a race bike. I also don't have much interest in boutique parts on my racing bikes. Maybe on a snazzy uber-light climbing bike or a high end steel bike.

rheosibal

by rheosibal

fa63 wrote:This being WW, of course the lightest combination is the best.

However, knowing that Italians seem to use a different weighing system than the rest of us (everything Italian I have bought weighed at least 10 percent more than claimed), I think the Ritchey combo (#3) might be the best option :)

Note taken, thanks for your input!

martinko wrote:What about Pro Vibe cockpit? I have weighed mine:

Stem: Pro Vibe UD Carbon -10° 110mm - 138g (claimed to be 115g, which is correct without the front plate)
Seatpost: Pro Vibe UD Carbon (0mm offset) 27.2x350mm - 195g
Handlebars: Pro Vibe UD Carbon Anatomic 44cm - 218g
Total: 551g

Then comes the problem of matching the rest of the bike :) Pro is Shimano so the groupset should be Shimano. However, CAAD10 is BB30, so which crankset? If I strip all my FSA parts, I don't like to see FSA crankset on my bike. Maybe SRAM crankset + Shimano rest combo, or some other option :)

No offense, Pro just never appealed to me. I will be using sram, but I don't mind mismatching the gruppo with the cockpit. I will be using a SiSL2 crankset with a quarq spider and Exogram chainrings. Thanks for your input though, I really do appreciate it.

G60 wrote:Going by advertised weights you could save ~45g and much $$ by using a Zipp service course SL stem instead of the SL Sprint.

You're absolutely right! I do love that stem though...it looks fantastic, especially in longer dimensions. Thanks for the heads up!

lannes wrote:New Ultimate is another good cockpit for the weight weenie, the EVO range, a bit cheaper than the other brands.
Their published weights are spot on, as I have the stem and seatpost on my ghisallo build

Carbon EVO Seatpost (117g)
http://newultimate.com/seatpost/evo-2

AL EVO Stem (106g for 100mm)
http://newultimate.com/stem/stem-evo-7050-ti-bolt

Carbon EVO RACE handle bars (170g)

http://newultimate.com/handlebars/evo-race
or just use the ZIPP SL (I'm using that combination as well)

Total is 387g

Extralite as well, but that is more expensive.

Hey thanks for that! I totally forgot about New Ultimate...hmm that's possibly another option. Thanks again!

project3 wrote:How about 3T?

I had 3T before, I kind of want to try something different.

tinozee wrote:I have both the full carbon zipp and ritchey WCS setups on two different bikes. Both perform great! I seriously can't find any issue with those parts. The only issue with the Ritchey post - 0mm setback is pretty stiff and brutal on long rides, while the 25mm version is plush and comfy.

I have the luxury of access to a lot of Ritchey parts. I prefer the carbon curve bar, WCS carbon one bolt 25mm setback, and the wcs 260 carbon stem (but it's a pain in the butt to switch bars). As for the look, I like UD carbon black in either Ritchey or Zipp. I think they are both a good match for a Sram red group and a sporty frame like a S-Works, C-dale or Scott with Zipp wheels. These parts seem to clash with Italian or German brands which look better with Campy or Shimano.

I agree that it looks best to have a matching cockpit on a race bike. I also don't have much interest in boutique parts on my racing bikes. Maybe on a snazzy uber-light climbing bike or a high end steel bike.

Thank you! I absolutely agree with boutique parts not on racing bikes...lol

Thanks for the input. I plan on having 404 Tubulars, but I don't really mind having the cockpit mismatching with the wheels. Thank you though, this really helps me out.

project3

by project3

Personally I will go for Deda. I do not have a good reason. I think it match your 2014 caad better. Nicer and newer graphic to see compare to others options :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com