Show me Your Tuning!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

totoboa wrote:Andreszucs, what where and how did you drop the mass on the carbon seat post ? Tools I have at my disposal are steel wool, sandpaper and elbow grease !! - Thanks :mrgreen:

Major drop was from taking the titanium head. After cutting the tube I had to figure it out how to shape the slot to fit the carbon cradle :?: After checking what I had available on my garage I had the idea to use a 27.2 seatpost with 3 or 4 lawyers of sand paper (grade 120 or 140) :idea: So I fixed the seatpost to the table and started to run back and forth the new after-cut carbon tube until the round shape was enough to mount the cradle...you see...I don't have any fancy tools either....BUT the final work ended up perfect! I had to pay attention to the angles to avoid an uneven sable...at the end of the sanding I use a square to make sure everything was straigh/90 degrees...and VOILA!!!

yep about the pin...home made! found a 10mm alloy rod...made the wholes, lighters then the original too. I used a dremel to make all the wholes using a 7/32" Grinding Stone in slow speed to avoid burning the carbon.

craddle also home made, full carbon, I had a 30mm carbon tube at home, cutted in half and made the slots for the seatpost :thumbup: ....everything ended up pretty good...as of today everything is working just fine! :beerchug:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bazmac

by bazmac

weeracerweenie wrote:To start off ill put forward my contributions, i being 17 / 18 years old and having little money :( So to get my ride under the magic 5.00kg i took to it with a small range of power tools! Here goes:

Tuned Sram Red Rear Derailleur, 11 hours worth of work on it, final weight = 104.67 Grams. Saving of just over 40 grams. Have ridden over 5000km on it with no major failures (bar jockey wheels, see "AFC Pulley Wheel Review" Thread). Light and functional, and i think its pretty too... Plans to go under 95 Grams yet!

Tuned Sram Red Levers, 18 hours work in the pair, with continual research on hoods underway, waiting on some Clamps from Berk, Final weight will be under 210 Grams, originally weighed 298 Grams, so saving of around 90 Grams all up! Put 3000km on them with absolutely no worries at all!

Tuned Pedals that i will not say the name of (see "Tuned Pedals called PlaySpeed if you reversed the name..." thread for more info), 30 hours work in these, took a standard pair of Chromoly PlaySpeeds and took them down to 117.80 Grams from 208 Grams, 80 Grams gone, Handbuilt all of the alloy parts in it, and tuned the Ti axle, (boring and milling it), Second version plans are underway!

Custom Built Barrel adjuster and Nut, made out of Delrin, for the rear derailleur and down-tube adjuster as well, functions perfectly, and significantly lighter than what i've seen available for purchase here in NZ.

Home Made Areolite Pedals, on a Stainless Axle for my first Generation versions, have devised a system that can fit these to any existing axle (Titanium, Steel, Stanless... etc), Delrin barrels, lightest version i built (Stainless Steel Axle) = 65.6 Grams a pair!

I've also built ISP seat clamps and Toppers, my current version i ride now weighs a total of <20 Grams. All custom built Yokes, Thru Rod and Cradles! Pics to come!

Now Show me what you have all built! Hopefully im not the only one!! :beerchug:

Hi mate, I have been reading your threads for a few years and your work is inspiring, both your work ethic and your creativity. Well done and keep it up.

I do remember reading a while back you were developing a lightweight set of hoods similar to the BTP Carbon one. How are they going?

I love your sr shifters. I'm keen to copy your but am not great with my hands any chance of you tracing over your leavers so I can maybe copy the cut outs?

Great work, keep it up.
Baz, in oz.

P.S if you head over to oz, let me know, I'm based in Brisbane, 1 hour from both the gold and Sunshine Coast, your welcome to a free bed as we have 5 and only use 3 as our 5 and 7 year olds have one each. We built extra for relatives to stay when they come thru.

Baz

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

Hey Bazmac,

Bugger i was on the Gold Coast for New Years with my friends! Hoods were a success but they had limited use, becasue i ride on the top and drops (unless im climbing) they lasted a few weeks before they looked rank. I never really made a pattern though, ill see if i can come up with something for you!

Thanks for the words too, unfortunately ive kind of given up riding for the mean time, the bikes gone, i broke my wrist really really good mid November and haven't been interested in pedaling lately. i still keep an eye out here occasionally, but if anyone needs to reach me just PM me as it comes to my emails. Happy to help anyone with anything i can!

Ride on!

wrw
I guess there's worse hobbies than making a bike light? Right?

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

We got to find something to do right?! Fun of the day; home made pad on my carbon saddle. Bought this one cheap on eBay from China, it was the first time trying hard shell and I hate it ! Made this pad Inspired by speed needle saddle...looks good?ImageImageImage
Last edited by andreszucs on Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wrcompositi

by wrcompositi

andreszucs wrote:We got to find something to do right?! Fun of the day; home made pad on my carbon saddle.

Looks neat :thumbup:

The padding doesn't add too much weight. What kind of material did you use and how did you shape it?

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

original weight was 103, so glue and pad was only 10g....no biggy! Still need to check on durability after a couple of rides, but I like the result so far. I used a 'Weldwood Contact cement' from Home depot, its a great glue and should hold up...but will see. The pad I also found very cheap... about $3/foot square...but again, still can't tell on durability. Look good at least...lol

As for shaping, while gluing I used a hair dryer for some heat to make a better shape and maximum bonding, then with a dremel and took off the extra material from the edges and finished with a 1200 grade sand pater, so the pad is not around the edge and glued on the bottom, its actually over the saddle shell ending right at the edge.
Last edited by andreszucs on Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

Looks great, I actually thought it was a recovered speed needle!
I guess there's worse hobbies than making a bike light? Right?

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Hey andreszucs I have one of those saddles at home myself. I agree, it's so flicken hard to sit on! No give or flex at all so nice work on the padding

djay001

by djay001

I also got this saddle for 1 week and resold it after. It was just too stiff.

I'm on a slr with the padding stripped now, that's nights and days.

drainyoo

by drainyoo

Has anyone tuned the current SRAM Red Shifters? From what I've read, the BTP carbon clamps don't work on the new shifters, so has anyone been able to tune them in any way?

RyanH

by RyanH

I've ridden a stripped slr, that was terrible. A good, high end saddle like the Mcfk is as comfortable as a good padded saddle.

Lemule

by Lemule

Those shifters in the original post look amazing.

Paint jobs are over rated anyway plus your saving some grams.

Takes some balls to take power tools and go diy on top range gear.

Good work mate.

richysticky

by richysticky

I am loving this thread :) just joined up and wanted to add a couple of my contributions, yup, I havent got a light bike but I am a bit of an
engineer and love making things better/ lighter. I know that light sometimes in that beautiful lol :)

top cap ...

WP_20140116_003 by rpic - rich webber, on Flickr

WP_20140116_015 by rpic - rich webber, on Flickr

And seat ...

WP_20140203_007 by rpic - rich webber, on Flickr

TimmS

by TimmS

Light is beautiful

Why don't you try a countersunk bolt with you topcap?

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

Got a bolt for your topcap, fully forged (Not CNC) Ti bolt...http://www.proti-bicycles.com/product-p/m6l30-ot03.htm

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com