Tools/ bleedkit recomendation for xtr brakes

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

michel2

by michel2

Hi fella's
Im about to buy a bleedkit for my xtr brakes and i am tossing between this :
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Shimano-TL-B ... fe1&_uhb=1

And this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Jagwire-Mineral-K ... B008OHBH6M

My question ?
Has any body any expierence with any of this two kits,its for the 985 brakes, or any of you guys a third option that you have good luck with, ?
Thanks. Mick

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

devinci

by devinci

for 985 brakes, all you need is the funnel in the upper right corner of the first link pictures.

Then you buy 1 or 2 cheap syringes at the pharmacy and buy 30cm plastic tube at the hardware store.

The bleed is super easy and you don't need to pay 60$ for these.

michel2

by michel2

Does that funnel screw in the master cylinder. ?

afalts

by afalts

Neither.

The beauty of XTR's is their simplicity. You need this funnel http://www.jensonusa.com/Shimano-Disc-B ... nelStopper

And then a drain hose to attach to the bleed port on the calliper - should be able to get at any hardware store, small rubber tube. I then drain it into an old disposable bottle or can of some sort. If you are starting from scratch i.e. no fluid in the system you will need a syringe that can attach to said hose.

Different model of shimano brake, but done the same: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2c6ezHY0A4

When just toping up I only do the part shown from about 4.5 min in

devinci

by devinci

yes the funnel screw in the MC

Sjoerd

by Sjoerd

I always fill my system with LHM oil, originally made for Citroen cars and their suspension system. The stuff has the same viscosity and works exactly like the original oil. And the best part of it: 6 euros for 1 litre. You can't beat that.

devinci

by devinci

I would not use anything else then shimano oil

mattr

by mattr

The only reason to use shimano oil is for warranty purposes. Other than the colour it's the same stuff as LHM.

afalts

by afalts

mattr wrote:The only reason to use shimano oil is for warranty purposes. Other than the colour it's the same stuff as LHM.

I would suggest you look at the actual properties before making false statements... E.g. BP of LHM: 240 C, Shimano: 280 C,

I am not saying LHM won't work fine, but it is not the same. Shimano manufactures their oil, they don't rebrand, I'm not sure where that thought ever came from. Considering the cost of bikes the oil is nothing and it would suck to not be able to make a warranty claim because of oil used, especially on an expensive XTR brake. I buy a bulk (1L) container of Shimano mineral oil, will last individual use for years.

mattr

by mattr

Fair enough, but I've watched shimano techs bleed brakes with LHM.

afalts

by afalts

I don't doubt it, that's a nice thing about a mineral oil set up, is you can use many different 'types' if needed. A friend of mine went to bleed his brakes at a race and realized after draining some he didn't have fluid with him, he bought something at the grocery store that worked. Can't remember what it was exactly though.

mattr

by mattr

Olive oil?

That's been used in emergencies.
Trials riders use water.........

quattrings

by quattrings

Got a couple of questions too, hope it's ok if i post here.

After a couple of years on Avids, I've recently purchased some m820 saints.
I thought it would be worthwile immediatly upgrading to goodridge brake hoses.
So Goodridge hoses installed and bled as per the manual but I've encountered the infamous inconsistent bite point.

I want to try some other bleed methods to possibly get a really good bleed but looking for tips.
How to set the lever reach and bite point adjust screws?
Is gravity bleedings the best way?
Can they be vacuum bled with avid syringes? And can the syringes just be cleaned out with isopropyl and used for mineral oil?)

michel2

by michel2

I got my kit sorted bought it of ebay, a fella in the uk called epic bleed solutions, 2 seringys abitt of hoses all ya need (;

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mattr

by mattr

I use epics stuff as well. It's good that you can get a bleed kit, then stock up on extras (the bits that eventually fail)
I can also pop a mini emergency bleed kit in my tool box (couple of syringes full of oil) rather than dragging bottles of oil around with me. Which eventually get punctured/dropped/leak when they've been rattled around long enough.

(Puncturing a nearly full aerosol of chain lube was bad enough!)