Xiamen Far Sports Experiences

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wrcompositi

by wrcompositi

Has anybody used cork pads on Farsports rims with basalt brake surfaces? How do they compare with Farsports' blue pads in dry conditons?

If cork pads can work, it would be a cheap way to shed ~20g. :D

eric

by eric

I use an extra 1mm spacer on my 10s BHS (Bitex) hubs. That puts the cassette cogs in exactly the same position as my White Ind. hubs. No need to adjust the cable tension. The splines engage the small cog.

The freehub on the 10sp hubs seems to be a little longer than other hubs.

Someone here tried an 11sp cassette on one and it's not quite that long, unfortunately.
But I think BHS has 11sp freehub bodies, should you want to switch.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

upside

by upside

So here is my last experience with Farsports. Kyle, as usual was very prompt with emails and several of my questions answered right away. This time around I went with the YuHub with srtaight pull spokes and the new 25 wide rims. I live in a hilly area, so I went with the 38 up front and a 50 in the rear. The quality and finish I feel is on par with all the big companies, ie. Enve, Zipp, Bontrager. I have had just one ride on them so far because of the snow. The bearings are as smooth as the ED hubs and I didn't notice any flex out of the rear, but my legs don't have a lot of ooomf yet. I did weigh them and they are a bit heavier than the 38's I had last year, but those were the narrower rims.

Front wheel
YuHub straight pull with Sapim XRay's and 38X25 599 grams
Rear wheel
YuHub straight pull with Sapim XRay's and 50X25 790 grams

I can't wait to start getting some miles on these. One of the problems I had with the narrower 38's is the tires were a bear to get on and only the Schwalbe's would work. These new rims are perfect and the tires go on quite nicely. I recently sold a set of 6.7 Enves.. had some time on them, for the $$$ difference, I will go with Farsports from now on if they hold up nice this season.

asdf123

by asdf123

Thanks for shearing upside.

crimsonbadger

by crimsonbadger

For those who have ordered and built up the rims, how close is the advertised ERD to the actual measurement?

eric

by eric

Mine were right on.

Method01

by Method01

Does somebody has experience with using tubeless tyres on the Farsports wheels? I assume I need a special rimstrip to make it airproof or..?

crimsonbadger

by crimsonbadger

eric wrote:Mine were right on.

Thanks for the feedback. I just received a set of the 25mm wide, 38mm deep carbon clinchers (28h f/r, matte unidirectional finish) and will be lacing them to a set of White Industries CLD hubs. I'm wavering between Sapim Race and CX-Ray spokes but also wanted to make sure I can trust the ERD before ordering spokes.

eric

by eric

Since you have the rims you can measure them. That is always better than taking someone's word, even mine. :D

Cut the elbows off two old (but straight) spokes and made them exactly 250mm long. Thread nipples on until the spoke end is flush with the slot in the nipple (use thread lock).
Put the two spokes in opposing holes and measure the distance between the ends, adding or subtracting that from the 500mm spoke length to get the ERD.

Measure at more than one place and average.

crimsonbadger

by crimsonbadger

eric wrote:Since you have the rims you can measure them. That is always better than taking someone's word, even mine. :D

Cut the elbows off two old (but straight) spokes and made them exactly 250mm long. Thread nipples on until the spoke end is flush with the slot in the nipple (use thread lock).
Put the two spokes in opposing holes and measure the distance between the ends, adding or subtracting that from the 500mm spoke length to get the ERD.

Measure at more than one place and average.

Extraordinary, thank you!

The advertised ERD was 564 mm and I measured 568 mm with high precision (three measurements of each wheel, front and rear). It could be that the specifications for the rims (again, 25 mm wide, 38 mm deep carbon clinchers) changed slightly, as they are a new model. Regardless, the precision of the measurements is encouraging--and should allow me to order spokes with confidence.

syncmaster

by syncmaster

I've been riding my set of 50mm Farsports Tubular wheels for more than a year now and I love them. I now want to pick up a set of carbon clinchers from Farsports now to replace my aluminum training wheelset. It'd be nice to be able to switch wheels and not have to worry about switching brake pads as well.

I'm looking at Farsports 24mm deep clincher rim and I'm wondering if it'll be too flexy as a wheelset for longer training rides. I weigh 137lbs so I'm fairly light. I just know that my current training wheelset (Kinlin xr200 rims) feels a lot more flexy compared to my 50mm tubs.

These are the farsports 24mm rims:

They are 20/24 spokes. I'm sure they'd be fine in normal riding but am I going to feel these things move side to side in a strong sprint?

Thanks

WheelTester

by WheelTester

WheelTester wrote:I took a dive and ordered the 2014 38mm clincher wheels(1250g +/-30g),23mm wide. I went with the Ed Hub Ceramics and CX Ray spokes. I worked with Kyle and I have to say he was very responsive and answered all of my questions in a timely manner. I will post up a review once I receive them.

Cheers~

Hey guys, I got my wheels last week. I am very happy as they look to be in great shape. The set weighed in at 1229 grams! Well under the estimated 1250 grams. I have put two layers of Stans yellow tape on the wheels and I am waiting for my new tubeless tyres to come in before I take them for a spin. I will be mounting a set of Specialized S-Works Turbo 24mm tyres to them. I will update once I get a few rides in.

I also ordered two bottle cages from them... they are super light!

Cheers~

WheelTester

by WheelTester

Method01 wrote:Does somebody has experience with using tubeless tyres on the Farsports wheels? I assume I need a special rimstrip to make it airproof or..?

I am using two layers of Stans yellow tape with tubeless tyres.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I don't per se have experience with them, buy with Zipp Firecrest rims it's two layers of Stan's tape of the wider, 25mm (mountain bike) variety. The narrower tape may not work.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

WheelTester

by WheelTester

I used the Stans 21mm tape on my FarSports 23mm rim.