PowerCordz Swift cable housing

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

deermatt

by deermatt

Its hard to say which is actually lighter. Ilinks are vague about the length, the weight they give on FWB is heavier than the powercordz swift housing for the weight they list.. Talking to the guy from powercordz on the phone told me theirs were lighter.

lechat

by lechat

The price is alluring. Hard to decide between it and some Aican Ultralight (aluminum/kevlar traditional look housing) for steel cables. The Aican is lighter at 24gms/m and a little cheaper at $34.50 shipped, cables included. Guess it comes down to aesthetics and ease of installation. Too bad the beads aren't smooth like Bungarus. Not crazy about the lumpy looks of Nokon and iLinks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

PowerCordz
in the industry

by PowerCordz

This tubing is not for sale, only demo, I think 14 grs a meter. It is rideable, not so good for shifting as not really compression-less. It will shift but we a few misses, I had it on a road bike for a few months, testing. Another one of us rode it for over a year on V brakes, he is still alive ;=)
It is not a liner, it is a real plastic tubing which was special ordered a while back (not the hardware tubing as I read somewhere...)

deermatt wrote:http://fairwheelbikes.com/c/custom-bikes/worlds-lightest-bike-revisited.html/attachment/1035_worlds_lightest_bike_2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; like in this picture, theres no hard housing, looks like just a liner over the power cordz and a end piece?

brearley

by brearley

before i commit to buying can the housing be used for both brake and gear or is it specific to one?
if both I will buy enough length for both.

darnellrm

by darnellrm

I just finished a build and used the PowerCordz housing. The housing is slightly lighter than I-links ( but heavier than the minis ) and can be used for brakes.

FYI,

Roy

pawnii

by pawnii

pic plz
2012 Scott Foil Premium

brearley

by brearley

ordered a 3m length for my new frame. happy days

MNX1024

by MNX1024

It's been a while since these were released. So, can anyone comment on these in terms of performance and weight?

I've been thoroughly disappointed with the AICAN Bungarus, can not for the love of *insert whatever you want* get it to work with the rear shifting, even with the help of three different mechanics from three different shops. Which all points to the AICAN being the culprit of the rear not shifting properly.... Anyway, enough with my ranting. Before I go back to the excellent performing and "HEAVY" Yokozuna cables, as a weight weenie I have the duty to give light weight cable system a try again before going back to something I know will work. And these caught my eyes. :lol: It'd be nice if people can chime in on these. :D
Last edited by MNX1024 on Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NiFTY

by NiFTY

MNX I can concur with you re: bungarus rear shifting. Tried multiple times with aican with both ti and steel wire, couldn't get it to work. Now running standard Gore housing with KCNC ti wire for RD. And hybrid gore/ for the rest of the cables. I find wherever there is a tight bend or much tension (FD near cable stop a short section of standard housing to take the twist prior to the barrell adjuster stops the delrin liner in the bungarus fracturing. I am about to try the same but with a brake noodle for the rear brake frame cable entry (tight frame connection on evo).

Aican works okay, but has limitations.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

lannes

by lannes

I'm using the Swift outers and inners on Dura Ace 9000 brakes and derailleurs, so far no problems at all, shifts well and is very light.

For my bike about 45gms in outers, liners and inners.

Install is a bit messy, the trick is not to crimp the inners to tightly when checking shifting, only tighten completely when finishing adjustment.
Inner cable sheath is very soft and can tear from too tight crimping. I have wrapped the inner around the bolt in the both the dreailleurs

MNX1024

by MNX1024

Ordered these for my derailleurs already. Lets hope they'll work properly unlike the AICAN I got. Spent too much time and money trying to get those to work that it took away the last two months I can ride for my season.

NiFTY wrote:MNX I can concur with you re: bungarus rear shifting. Tried multiple times with aican with both ti and steel wire, couldn't get it to work. Now running standard Gore housing with KCNC ti wire for RD. And hybrid gore/ for the rest of the cables. I find wherever there is a tight bend or much tension (FD near cable stop a short section of standard housing to take the twist prior to the barrell adjuster stops the delrin liner in the bungarus fracturing. I am about to try the same but with a brake noodle for the rear brake frame cable entry (tight frame connection on evo).

Aican works okay, but has limitations.

Surprisingly the the AICAN works fine for me on my FD, except for that one time that I got this crazy cable stretch that caused a miss shift and threw off my chain while going uphill. This'll probably happen with all metal cables anyway, can't really fault them for it. Can't say much for the brakes because I haven't really use them enough to make an evaluation of it. Might actually keep the the AICAN for the brakes, but derailleurs will have to go. Maybe I'll leave the front on until they wear out, cost way too much for me to just replace.

Krackor

by Krackor

except for that one time that I got this crazy cable stretch that caused a miss shift and threw off my chain while going uphill.

That sounds like a bit of housing finally falling all the way into a cable stop.

brearley

by brearley

used mine for almost a full racing season.
brakes and shift feel were good.
I may have installed the rear inner cable wrong as the inner slowly moved into the lever due to not having a piece butted up against the lever.
I'll be reusing the cables again this season.
only issue I have with them is that when you turn the handlebars and the cables move out of position they will stay in the new position.
Also for the rear housing into the rear derailleur I use a small piece of electrical tape so it doesn't flap about.

MNX1024

by MNX1024

Anyone used these or at least PowerCordz cable with Dura Ace 9000 brakes and how's the performance on them??

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

lannes

by lannes

MNX1024 wrote:Anyone used these or at least PowerCordz cable with Dura Ace 9000 brakes and how's the performance on them??

Haven't notice much of a difference with the 9000 brakes power wise, I think the only real issuse is the crimping of the powercordz, which may damage them over time.