Carbon Front Derailleur Clamp Stiffness?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

esfrost

by esfrost

Hey there!

As the title says, i was wondering about the stiffness of a front carbon derailleur clamp (in size 34.9mm)... I read that they tend to be flexy under load, which can make the front shifting to the big ring kinda hard... I have a carbon frame, and i'd like to protect it by using a carbon derailleur clamp. I did a search on the forum for this question, but could not really find any satisfactory answer, maybe there's none, but let's see!

So, anyone using this type of carbon clamp in 34.9mm, please, shed some light on this!

Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Beancouter

by Beancouter

One of my friends used one ( was a parlee clamp on a caad) and it snapped.

Having looked myself for my latest build, I didn't bother. From my research, the simple carbon bands (eg mcfk) have very tight tolerances and you should order the one that is
perfect for your actual frame (ie a band sold as 34.9 will not necessarily fit perfectly at the correct torque). There are now adjustable carbon ones, but I thought they were fugly!

TimmS

by TimmS

I'm using a mcfk clamp for 3 or 4 years now.

Not problems at all, there is more flex in the derailleur (Force) than in the clamp!

shoemakerpom2010

by shoemakerpom2010

I bought a parlee clamp on this board 34.9 for my SystemSix and the shifting is no affected at all.

esfrost

by esfrost

Thank you guys for all the help! I've ordered a carbon clamp and will see how it works! Thanks!

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

I have a Parlee one on my Parlee (surprising I know) I don't notice any flex whatsoever
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

nickf

by nickf

I have been using the omni racer carbon clamp for about a year with no issues. Installed on a caad9 with a sram red fd. Seems to shift fine. I'm in the big ring most of the time. No hills in Florida. I see no visible flex when it's on the stand. Check them out on eBay.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

I too use a Parlee version. Originally with a SR11 and now with a SR EPS [with the derailleur stiffening piece] and I never thought I had a problem. I always wondered if I would before I bought it.

Dammit

by Dammit

I killed one of the eXotic ones really fast with Di2.

excremanwu

by excremanwu

I am using that from Parlee and x cross (copy cat from PRC?) with 7900 and 9000, both fine without any problems

esfrost

by esfrost

Just got the clamp on the mail. Looks better than in the photo... You just simple open it up, and slide it onto the tube?

esfrost

by esfrost

Okay, thanks. Will see how it fits, and works, and let you guys know...

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

FYI, With my Parlee, they also gave me a piece of plastic clear tape to 'shim' the clamp due to the minute size differences of the tube. I still had issues with the clamp slipping. Cloth tape worked much better and it had never slipped since then.

esfrost

by esfrost

I'll be using Ritchey's Liquid Torque paste under the clamp area.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

brearley

by brearley

let us know how you get on. I have one of these clamps ready to go on for this season when I build my bike.
Bought one last year but felt it flexed too much however I didn't overly torque it or use any carbon grip paste.