tune spokes

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

qwerqz

by qwerqz

hello

Does anyone know if the spoke length would be the same on a mag 170 and a mag 190?

i need to buy a new hub ( as no one seems to want to be paid to service my old hub)
I have new spokes and rim on my old mag 190 and hope to transfer them over to the new mag 170.

Any help would be great.

: )

( p.s for those interested. I changed the rim, the spokes and even the freehub last year to try and get rid of a squeak and click on the wheel but nothing worked, no one wants to change the bearings on the mag 190 and i would have to buy a tool set to do so myself, with fingers crossed it would work. $$$$££££) so i am just gonna buy a new hub and relace it. : /

Razor

by Razor

qwerqz wrote:hello

Does anyone know if the spoke length would be the same on a mag 170 and a mag 190?

i need to buy a new hub ( as no one seems to want to be paid to service my old hub)
I have new spokes and rim on my old mag 190 and hope to transfer them over to the new mag 170.

Any help would be great.

: )

( p.s for those interested. I changed the rim, the spokes and even the freehub last year to try and get rid of a squeak and click on the wheel but nothing worked, no one wants to change the bearings on the mag 190 and i would have to buy a tool set to do so myself, with fingers crossed it would work. $$$$££££) so i am just gonna buy a new hub and relace it. : /

You can't find someone to service the Mag 190? Where do you live?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

qwerqz

by qwerqz

Razor wrote:You can't find someone to service the Mag 190? Where do you live?

hello, i am from England.

Razor

by Razor

qwerqz wrote:

I have the Mag 170 and the guys at Fairwheelbikes (in the U.S) worked on my hub, they do great work if you don't mind sending your hub there.

qwerqz

by qwerqz

Razor wrote:
qwerqz wrote:

I have the Mag 170 and the guys at Fairwheelbikes (in the U.S) worked on my hub, they do great work if you don't mind sending your hub there.

thank you , I remember one guy from faireheels helped me out on a forum a while back , i did search today to see where the shop was, but i think the import fees are just too high. but yes they have the right idea on building customer relations.
wish they were in the UK.

legs 11

by legs 11

Give me a PM if you need it sorted in the UK.
What exactly do you need? Hub service.......bearings, lube?
Just let me know and I'll sort it if you want. :thumbup:
It's not a complex hub or anything, quite simple design. For some reason most shops etc. don't want to touch them..lol.
The only issue is the wide bearing (you can replace that with doubled up standard bearings BTW?)
If it's just a creak/click issue it can be fixed with a strip and re-build using the old bearings (presuming they are in good condition etc.)
The old 190 was a real PITA for noises, but if it works ok I'd advise to just ride the thing. I've had quite a few, some creaked, some didn't, some creaked for a while and then it disappeared, some it just came back for no reason.
Pedalling Law Student.

qwerqz

by qwerqz

thanks for your offer.

The bearings are very rough and notchy now. I have had no fun at all trying to arrange a serivce. no info on time or cost. just bad vibes from the dealers regardng repair.

So i think I would just like to buy a new hub , but i am unsure if i can simplly buy a mag 170 as a direct replacement ( as my spokes cx ray and rim are new) i could relace the mag 190 and have the wheel trued.

ive asked tune but they push me onto poshbikes who i will not deal with now.

krzysiekmz

by krzysiekmz

Here are the dimensions of Tune Mag 170 if it helps any:

Tune Mag 170
Left Flange Diameter 41 mm
Right Flange Diameter 54 mm
Left Flange to Center 36.0 mm
Right Flange to Center 18 mm
Orbea Oiz - xxxx
MSC Koncept Carbon Di2 - 6955g
Leichtkraft Team Carbon - 6868g.

qwerqz

by qwerqz

thank you krzysiekmz, that is very kind of you : )

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

Since this is mtb when you say 190 I assume you mean an actual 190 (non disc brake hub) in a 135mm spacing and that you'll want to replace it with a 170 (again non-disc brake hub) in a 135mm. If it's the kong that you're talking about you can ignore the rest of my post as it will not be correct.

The 190 is quite a few years old so my memory isn't perfect but glancing at some old notes it looks like flange diameters were 41/54mm which is unchanged from the 170. Center to flange has changed but not so much that it dramatically changes the spoke length. I plugged them both into the spoke calc, on a 26" (541 erd) 32 hole, 3x and the old spokes should be 264.6/261.2 with the new hub requiring 264.2/261.1 Less than .5mm of difference.

qwerqz

by qwerqz

madcow wrote:Since this is mtb when you say 190 I assume you mean an actual 190 (non disc brake hub) in a 135mm spacing and that you'll want to replace it with a 170 (again non-disc brake hub) in a 135mm. If it's the kong that you're talking about you can ignore the rest of my post as it will not be correct.

The 190 is quite a few years old so my memory isn't perfect but glancing at some old notes it looks like flange diameters were 41/54mm which is unchanged from the 170. Center to flange has changed but not so much that it dramatically changes the spoke length. I plugged them both into the spoke calc, on a 26" (541 erd) 32 hole, 3x and the old spokes should be 264.6/261.2 with the new hub requiring 264.2/261.1 Less than .5mm of difference.

thank you very much fairwheel bikes, (i wish you were in the UK)

yes it is a non disc, mtb (135mm) mag190 (2006) 32 hole 26 inch rim that i hope to direct replace with a new mag170 mtb 135mm.
this gives me confidence at last to go ahead and finally get this sorted, as I can lace up myself and have it trued at a local shop.

Thank you very much, you rule !! : P

njee20

by njee20

Seems a very expensive way of replacing some bearings, I'd take Legs 11 up on his offer first, that'll cost you hardly anything in comparison!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com