Sub 1300g "everyday" clinchers. Can it be done?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

caballero

by caballero

Are you running 2 or 3x on that build ?

Thanks for the reply !

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

I'm running 2x front and rear
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

Mattias Hellöre
in the industry

by Mattias Hellöre

If you mean M5 33 grams front hubs like I have are not durable, they are light and good looking but durable for everyday riding. No.
Experimental Prototype

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

caballero wrote:Hey all,
I live and ride in the mountains of Japan, especially the Japanese alps and would like to build a set of tubulars for everyday riding which includes lots of mountain passes and descents.
I want to avoid carbon rims on this build due to high possibility of wet conditions or snow in the early/ lat parts o the year.

What do you guys recommend ?

I'm thinking ambrosio cronos 28f 32r laced 2 or 3x front and rear, sapim laser or a mix of revolution front, comp and rev mix rear, al nipples on tune mig70 mag 170.

I weigh around 65-69kg depending on the time of year.

Don't have personal experience, but it seems to me there's probably not a lot of choice. BHS have been good to deal with and they carry an alloy tubular rim http://www.bikehubstore.com/category-s/171.htm
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

adam6540

by adam6540

I am looking to buy a light weight clincher wheelset OR make one. if anybody has ideas I highly appreciate it.
getting tired of going to oem websites and not really finding what I would like to have, the goal would be to
find a 700c clincher wheelset that is under 1200 grams at a reasonable price under 1k bucks.

eric

by eric

I have seen some low profile chinese carbon clinchers that are below 1200g. Check light-bicycle and farsports.
Extralight makes the hyperclinch wheels which are also in that range, using Stans aluminium rims but probably won't meet your price.

But unless you are doing an uphill only race, reasonably light aero wheels will have a greater speed benefit.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Well from Bikehubstore.com you can put together a 1,234g wheelset for $275.

Kinlin XR200, Lasers, alloy nipples and their lightest hubs will get you there.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

The problem is that most 1200 gram wheels are not going to be suitable except for the lightest of riders. Unless your 120 pounds or don't care about performance you should look closer to the 1300 gram range.

JackDaniels

by JackDaniels

While I'm aware they may not weigh under 1300g, Dura ace c24 is really the answer to this entire thread or anyone looking for a lightweight reliable clincher.

F45

by F45

If you could take the C24 rims and lace them to some light hubs, it would be perfect. The heavy DA hubs ruin that wheelset.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

The biggest "damage" is done on "paper" or the scale, though. 100g difference of hub weight is not the same as 100g of rim weight.

F45

by F45

Did you just marginalize weight on weightweenies in a thread about lighter weight clinchers? Perhaps you should post on roadbikereview and leave us alone.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Considering a light build that needs to be able to survive travelling and racing in Belgium, Australia and possibly Asia.

What sort of strength can I expect from the bikehubstore offerings? Enough to withstand the uses I have in mind?

vdrey

by vdrey

I built a set of 24/28 kinlin xr-200s and dati hubs w/sapim laser on all but the drive side, where I put races.

It has been very durable, and very light, but given that you are a pro, you might want to go full cxray and xr-270 to make it a bit stiffer.

I do fully recommend BHS, Brandon is a great guy with great prices.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com