New Ciamillo GSL Micro

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

drainyoo

by drainyoo

Thanks for the info. So about what you posted about, you can use Shimano type pads with these? I thought they were Campy type?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

carbonLORD
in the industry

by carbonLORD

You can use either one. The only difference between Shimano's cartridge type pads are an indent for the screws (that you do not use on Ciamillo brakes anyway).

carbonLORD.com

drainyoo

by drainyoo

So they fit snug and don't move around or slide out? I thought Campy type pads had a different shape.

carbonLORD
in the industry

by carbonLORD

drainyoo wrote:So they fit snug and don't move around or slide out? I thought Campy type pads had a different shape.

Dude, you gonna keep asking me the same question? :wink:
carbonLORD.com

drainyoo

by drainyoo

Take it easy there, butterscotch. Don't get all bent out of shape. Just making sure before money gets spent.

caadmium

by caadmium

I tried Shimano pads (R55C3) with these last week and they don't fit. The pads don't slide into the carrier - carrier is curved and the pads are straight so they cannot be pushed in even with considerable force. I'll be going with Campy pads.

@drainyoo, advise you do the same

carbonLORD
in the industry

by carbonLORD

caadmium wrote:I tried Shimano pads (R55C3) with these last week and they don't fit. The pads don't slide into the carrier - carrier is curved and the pads are straight so they cannot be pushed in even with considerable force. I'll be going with Campy pads.

@drainyoo, advise you do the same

Sigh... You remember putting rubber MTB grips on aluminum handlebars? Dab a little rubbing alcohol, they slide right in and the alcohol evaporates?

You can use water as well.

I've been riding Ciamillo brakes for 11 years. They fit.

And don't be a sensitive Sally, I'm just giving you a hard time because I already answered the question a few times now.

Take the brake pad, start sliding it in, take some saliva if you like, find an edge of a table and press it in the rest of the way.

Why would I say I use Shimano pads on both of my bikes if they didn't work?

Hey, if you want to spend more on Campy pads go right ahead.

Just being straight with ya. They take a little more effort but they'll work.
carbonLORD.com

NoiseBoy

by NoiseBoy

They definitely fit. Ive done 1000 miles with shimano pads in my Ciamillos. I found the black prince I just fitted a little trickier to fit but all OK now.

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

For a little bit more money you can have ee brakes. All these band aid upgrades to the gsl brakes are just that. They need a major redesign. They lack power and unless you have the housing perfect they are a constant pain in the ass, the service is fu@king terrible, you can't even buy a spring upgrade kit from Ted, he wants you to send them back cause it's supposedly tricky to replace the springs on the out dated poor performing design and in the process have no brakes for 2-3 months because he can't get his shit together.. In this day and age given the other options out there you'd have to be a little stupid to even consider buying these things unless your getting them for next to nothing. :noidea:

carbonLORD
in the industry

by carbonLORD

sugarkane wrote:...rant /rant

Purchase them from a dealer, problem solved.

As far as the spring update, if you have silver springs, they will be a design prior to wide rim spec and will not clear 25's anyway, nor will they fit a Micro Cam upgrade kit and yes, that level of upgrade is difficult without proper tooling so it may be better to upgrade your brake entirely, assuming you do require the micro adjustability, clearance for a wide rim or the capacity to run 25mm tires at full PSI.

It's certainly nice to have options like EE, but they retail $200-$250 more then Ciamillo products. Hardly a few dollars more and while subjective, they are not aesthetically pleasing to my eye. In my experience, with that many pivots = more potential for slop and something to break but truth be told, I have no experience with them and am only basing that comment on my experience with other multi pivot over-engineered designs. I'm sure they stop wonderfully but again, I'm 95 Kilo and stop just fine using the Ciamillo product with carbon clinchers, personally.

From the 2 second research I did on Google, EE seems to have between 7-10 employees where Ciamillo has one. It certainly is easier to facilitate warranty and upgrades when you have a staff consisting of 10 which is why Ted depends on his dealer network. While that may not help when requiring something as complex as a spring upgrade, I can't say enough that point of purchase and warranty are better managed through distributors.

I agree with you Sugar, Ted needs to work on these issues but comparing EE to Ciamillo is not apples to apples and if it's worth it to some to spend %40 more for a comparable product, well, we have our prerogatives.
carbonLORD.com

drainyoo

by drainyoo

Does anyone have real weights for the 2014 Micro and Non-Micro versions? I've found weights for the Non-Micro version, but they've all come in at around 175g. I assume that these are older versions, since the 2014 version is "tuned" and claimed to be 155g without pads.

Rascal

by Rascal

My scale says 162g w/no pads...
-Giant TCR
-CAAD5
-Klein Rascal

drainyoo

by drainyoo

Thanks, which version? Micro?

Anders

by Anders

I have used NG Ti and the GSL. They brake ok but nowhere as good as Shimano brakes. The most irritating is the constant need for centering of the brakes everytime you change wheel etc. There is some friction and twisting between the parts as there are no bearings. This leads to a not so smooth lever feel and you need to be carefull how your tighten the main bolt as it will influence this as well. My advise is to not be tempted by the deals and get yourselves a nice pair of TRP. You will add 40g and get a much nicer and well engineered pair of brakes. You will also save yourselves a lot of time.

drainyoo

by drainyoo

I will never be changing wheels, would you still not recommend them?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com