What type of chainlube do you use?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

What type of chainlube do you normally use?

Wax based
22%
Parrafin drip
4%
Thin oil
49%
Thick oil
10%
Oil with solvent
14%

Total votes: 90

kac

by kac

dmp wrote:
willieboy wrote:
Razor wrote:Dumonde Tech Original. Doesn't clog up, very quiet chain and long lasting.

+1. This is the best I've found so far. One drop on each link, work it in and wipe off the excess. Wipe down chain after every ride and apply every 100-150 miles as needed. Keeps thing quiet and smooth.

me too- great stuff. But I am not sure which category it fits into for Frankie's survey. I always thought of it as kind of thin, but it leaves a plastic residue.

Me, too!

Gearjunkie

by Gearjunkie

bura wrote:
xnavalav8r wrote:I am a big fan of PEDRO'S Ice Wax.

This one especially tried as a dry lube and it may lube well but IAPITA to clean off your chain.
If you have a hollow pinned and some light weight drilled linked chain like the chains nowadays all are, then I would stay away from Pedro's Ice Wax.
Or cleaning each pinhole and links is a habit you just do not want to miss. :roll:

I think it's a matter of getting the thickness of Ice Wax right. If it's too thick then it does gum up badly, but if the consistency is right then it's very easy to clean (chain and cassette stay looking very clean) although you do need to apply it regularly.

You need to aim for milk like consistency, not thicker like, say, cream.

Thin sparingly with mineral turpentine.

Cheers
GJ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dcaspira

by dcaspira

+1 Rock 'n Roll Gold

djm

by djm

Anyone have suggestions for winter use?

The Morgan Blue syn stuff holds up nicely except for in the conditions we have now with salty slush. It seems to eat the lube off the chain instantly :-)

Trying to find something that holds better but also doesn't turn into a thick, greasy paste that doesn't come off when I try to clean it..

Kastrup

by Kastrup

I have had good luck with the Finish Line green variant. If you make sure not to apply too much and take away excess lube after having changed the gears for a little, it will come off with some basic cleaning remedies.
"Stay cool and try to survive" A. Klier to the other members of the Garmin classics squad the night before P-R.

S1mmo

by S1mmo

Finish line Wet in the winter (heavy synthetic)
Rock n Roll Extreme in the summer (wax)

Same for all bikes. Road, XC, Downhill

vlastrada

by vlastrada

Rock n Roll Gold here too... its quite thin and requires careful dosing...but pretty happy with it

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

Been trying a new polymer lube made by wd40 thanks to the praxis importer in Australia that's amazing..
It doesn't build up on the jockeys or the chain at all and runs pretty clean.
It's the apply and leave to set type. Ok really impressed with it. They are also doing a range of bike cleaning products that From what I've heard are really good too

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

Rock n Roll Gold gets my vote for anytime barring winter.

djm wrote:Anyone have suggestions for winter use?

The Morgan Blue syn stuff holds up nicely except for in the conditions we have now with salty slush. It seems to eat the lube off the chain instantly :-)

Trying to find something that holds better but also doesn't turn into a thick, greasy paste that doesn't come off when I try to clean it..

Know what you mean. UK normally has similar conditions (wet & salty this year!). I'm using Muc Off Wet Lube. For those conditions I've found it to be the best.
It's very tenacious and stays on the chain for the whole ride but is easy to degrease and clean off afterwards.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

sugarkane wrote:Been trying a new polymer lube made by wd40 thanks to the praxis importer in Australia that's amazing..
It doesn't build up on the jockeys or the chain at all and runs pretty clean.
It's the apply and leave to set type. Ok really impressed with it.
I presume you are using either WD-40 Bike DRY LUBE or WD-40 Bike WET LUBE? http://www.wd40bike.com/products/Which one are you using, under what conditions, and how long does it last? Does it clean the chain as part of the lubing process, as does ProGold Prolink, for example?

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

I'm using the dry lube. In Sydney On the coast. Wet lube is a no go cause there is a fair bit of sand on the roads. Once a week 200+Kms per week and yea it cleans the chain too..

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Do you have comparison with other products under the same riding conditions, in terms of how clean the drivetrain stays and how long the lube lasts?

icebreaker

by icebreaker

MileHighMark wrote:NixFrixShun has been working well for me.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk

And me as well.

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

I've been using tri flow Teflon spray. It produces much more build up on the chain and jockeys than the wd40 polymer I'm trying now. Same conditions coastal city roads not too much water
Re applying once a week/200kms.
Both work well but the tri flow gums up the chain more

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com