Open mold wide profile carbon wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

carbonLORD
in the industry

by carbonLORD

I'm also in the Netherlands currently and am on Enve 6.7 and Zipp 404's. Enve's are a 60mm/70mm and the Zipp are 58mm depth.

Where it's flat, they surely work but I am also 95 kg at 1.9 meters tall so I don't get blown around as much as a lighter rider might.

Fact is, the 50mm will be a better all round wheel but the 45mm will spin up quicker. For this reason I also own a set of ENVE 3.4's but I rarely find myself using them, even on group rides, though I'm always up front and don't yo-yo in the pack.

50mm will look cooler surely but if you are under 63 kilos you may not enjoy them on those windy days.
carbonLORD.com

hna

by hna

There is a 5 mm difference. I doubt anyone will be able to spot any difference from a distance. I doubt you will even be able to feel much of a difference between the two rims.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Sykes

by Sykes

SergeduTemps wrote:Deciding between the LB 45mm and 50mm U-shape.
I'm thinking the 45mm has the better shape (firecrest), but I'm liking the depth of the 50mm.
And will only be using them in the flatlands (Netherlands) so some extra depth is welcome. Don't have the weight of the 50mm, anyone knows?

Which one would you pick?

Just to note, the 50mm diagram is not to scale. I would hope that the written dimensions are accurate and that they were simply overlaid over a larger rims cross section, looks like it could be the image of an 80mm deep rim. If that is the case the 50mm should have a very similar shape to the 45mm, just slightly elongated, but not as much as the image above would have you think. If you look on Zipps site, you will notice that the FC shape is essentially a U shape that has a brake track which is 2mm narrower than the widest point of the rim. Both the 45mm and 50mm L-B's follow those proportions. It's poor when a company can't provide accurate data, and makes it hard to compare rims.

Also, per Nancy, the 50mm weigh 470g +-15g.

pushstart

by pushstart

Who makes the 50mm U shape? (I don't see that on LB website, so assume that is someone else?) I recently built the LB U45 for a disc-brake wheelset and think they are pretty awesome rims.

ImageImage

SergeduTemps

by SergeduTemps

LB also has a U-shape in 50mm & 90mm. They confirmed this to me. I also asked for tubulars, but got no answer. From what I've read they were working on a 45mm tubular, but no confirmation on that received.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met behulp van Tapatalk

QPete

by QPete

pushstart wrote:Who makes the 50mm U shape? (I don't see that on LB website, so assume that is someone else?) I recently built the LB U45 for a disc-brake wheelset and think they are pretty awesome rims.

ImageImage

KILLER Wheelset Pushstart! Looks very similar to my intended build. Happy with yours? Any build details to share?

pushstart

by pushstart

QPete wrote:
KILLER Wheelset Pushstart! Looks very similar to my intended build. Happy with yours? Any build details to share?

Thanks! And, sure, I wrote up a blog post on the build: http://snakesthatbite.blogspot.com/2014 ... build.html

petepeterson

by petepeterson

@Zigmeister

They should (and will likely) send you a new rim. That is not good but hongfu is a legit company that seems to take care of people. It just sucks because it is CNY and nothing happens for two weeks. I had a set of Farsports 24mm tubulars that arrived with the UD delam'd in very small areas at couple of the spoke holes - likely a result of drilling/tensioning.

If I may make a suggestion here is what I did: I got farsports to agree to build me a new wheel, disassembled the wheel and shipped them just the spokes and hub in a small envelope. Much cheaper than paying to ship a whole wheel to china w/ tracking.

sspring

by sspring

the LB45 vs LB50 debate is a good one. personally i don't think you'd notice very much difference at all between the two. I say go with the one that you think of first and find yourself trending towards. if you really like whats under you, you tend to go faster!!!!

ryker

by ryker

Agreed. The discussion becomes more interesting once the LB U-35 is available.

pushstart

by pushstart

I kinda like the 45mm depth -- 60mm valve stems fit fine without forcing me to use a threading pump/co2 hose!

Agreed that 50 vs 35 presents an interesting choice, esp if the 35 are near 400g. I might have gone 35 for my disc wheelset ....

sspring

by sspring

@pushstart
thats a really nice bike!

pushstart

by pushstart

sspring wrote:@pushstart
thats a really nice bike!

Thank you! Yeah, have been wanting to try the road disc thing. Very happy I did. These rims were a great choice, love that I could get them without braking surface.

QPete

by QPete

I second that. Went disc on both my Road and Cross Bikes a couple years ago and would NEVER go back. The only thing better than disc is HYDRO disc. If you haven't tried it I highly recommend. Going thru the whole recall process with SRAM. Prefer to have not (obviously), but its worth it.
And just a quick update..........my rims I ranted about earlier in this topic have actually arrived in New York customs on Friday. Hope it wont be much longer!

bombertodd

by bombertodd

Qpete, please post some pictures and weights. :beerchug:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com