caliper rubbing on rotor???

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

devinci

by devinci

having an issue here.

Im using the new shimano m987 brakes with a shimano brake adapter. Can it be possible the adaptor is not compatible? I know it is m985 compatible...

the rear wheel, when installed, will have the rotor rub in the caliper, major rub. I am using a 160mm adaptor and 160mm rotor. What the heck is wrong here?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

quattrings

by quattrings

same problem here on lefty with avid g3 rotor and m820 saint's and shimano adapter.
Solved it by putting a washer in between the caliper and adapter. I'd consider this a temporary hackjob but would like to know the cause and solution.

devinci

by devinci

I put a titanium spacer between the caliper and adaptor, seems to do the work just fine. Though I don't consider it an ideal solution.

DanW

by DanW

I've used different brand adapters in the past and all seem to raise the front and rear by different amounts. I would have thought they should be standard but they don't seem to be. IIRC the KCNC adapter raised the caliper more than Shimano or Hayes adapters I had lying around. Might be worth trying a different brand adapter perhaps?

devinci

by devinci

Thanks Dan

do you think the washer can suffice?

If using a washer under the lower caliper/adaptor bolt, should I also use one on the top bolt to level off the caliper? I think it would push it further out, so far the caliper is not rubbing anymore with the titanium washer under the lower caliper bolt...

dwaharvey

by dwaharvey

I don't think using washers is that big a deal, heck Avid supply a bunch of their brakes with multiple convex-concave washers to allow adjustment of the calliper's angle...
If it were me though I'd definitely want to do it symmetrically, ie have an equally think washer under each bolt. Otherwise the calliper is going to be bending the adapter a bit when you tighten it down. Probably not a big deal, just doesn't seem optimal.
If adding a second washer "pushes it too far out", I'd say you should find some thinner washers.
In terms of what is "too far", I think your limit ought to be when the edge of the brake pad reaches the edge of the rotor - you don't want some of the pad hanging off the edge of the rotor or it'll impact performance and likely cause noise.

DanW

by DanW

I agree with dwaharvey's suggestion. I wouldn't be too worried using washers but would want the same thickness washers with each caliper bolt. You can get a big bag of Hope branded washers of various thicknesses in the right size which might be the best bet.

02GF74

by 02GF74

as already stated, washers are of no concern as Avid use them, and best to use one between adatper and calliper. you can buy shims = thin washers that are used to centralise IS brake callipers.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com