Inline Adjuster hot or not

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

gaisdergerman

by gaisdergerman

I want to install some new cables on my cannondale supersix.

I am running Sram force with a red yaw front derailleur.

Is it recommend to install inner adjusters? Now I have but I never use them. But probably it is easy when you do the setup.

What is your opinion?

eric

by eric

For the front you need an in line adjuster if you are going to have any way to adjust the cable tension besides loosening the clamp and repositioning the cable. That's a difficult way to get the adjustment just right.

I'd recommend at least an in line adjuster for the front. Since the rear derailleur has an adjuster on it, an in line adjuster just means that you can adjust the cable while riding. I like that in case something goes out of adjustment or just needs fine tuning during a race. But my current bike doesn't have it and I haven't missed it much.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Twinning

by Twinning

My bike has an inline adjuster for the front derailleur which you can see and also a quick release/ inline adjuster for the rear brake which is hiding behind the stem. Is my bike hot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rick

by Rick

I went without an inline-adjuster on my SRAM-RED-YAW, and it took a lot of adjustment to initially get it right. I think I readjusted about a half a dozen times in the first week to get it "perfect". But since then it has been holding (about 9 months now) It does make me nervous.

nagge

by nagge

Once the cables have stretched I've rarely had the need to adjust during a ride, so no. Plus they don't look good.
SuperSix EVO III Ultegra 8070

Svetty

by Svetty

Twinning wrote:Is my bike hot?

Not to my eyes but YMMV ;)

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

Twinning wrote: Is my bike hot?

... any bike with SRAM is very un-hot.

I would go with in-line adjusters for both gear cables; they are very functional and convenient.

carbonLORD
in the industry

by carbonLORD

Twinning wrote:
Is my bike hot?

If you have to ask.... :noidea:

I believe that bicycles do not put enough force on the shifting cable that it is possible to stretch, but I do believe that housing compresses.

That said, I do not use those barrel adjusters as you can adjust when necessary without them, using your rear derailleur. It's rare I'll ever adjust my FD as I never use my FD.

Or, get Di2/EPS and leave replacing shifter cables and housing behind, indefinitely.

Oh and my bikes are hot. (Statement VS question) :beerchug:
carbonLORD.com

ChiZ01

by ChiZ01

it looks more like a tt bike with a dropbar

Twinning wrote:Image

My bike has an inline adjuster for the front derailleur which you can see and also a quick release/ inline adjuster for the rear brake which is hiding behind the stem. Is my bike hot?

upside

by upside

It's hot, there is always a bit too much jealousy around here. :up: :up: :up:

Twinning

by Twinning

upside wrote:It's hot, there is always a bit too much jealousy around here. :up: :up: :up:

Ha thanks. I was just trying to make a point that you can barely notice an inline adjuster.

stcact

by stcact

I've found mine very easy to use. Instead of reaching down towards the frame to make adjustments, they are closer to the bars and stem. Jagwire makes them in lots of colors also. I go with hot.

mattr

by mattr

All the ones I've had to work on have slipped out of adjustment over time. Making them necessary.

My bikes, whilst not hot, don't seem to need anywhere near as much adjustment. Typically a couple of goes at clamping the front mech and all is fine

mattr

by mattr

Just had a look at jagwires latest offering, look like a bit of thought has gone into them!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

upside

by upside

You will need a in-line barrel adjuster with the Yaw derailleur and the 9000 Dura Ace. You need to really ratchet up the tension to get those to work like they should. I have used Sram and Jagwires...and those work nice and are quite small.