KCNC titanium brake cables

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bazmac

by bazmac

Hi, is anyone using titanium brake or derailer cables? Powercordz?

I'm fairly new here and keen to hear what really lightweight cables are being used for your road bikes?

Thanks baz

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

drainyoo

by drainyoo

I've done some searching because I was interested in using the KCNC Ti cables for my build, but it doesn't seem like many people use them. My guess is the price. They're ridiculously expensive. For the price of a set, you can get a full set of AICAN Bungarus with cable and housing. Also, there's concern that they might stretch more than steel cables, but I haven't found any info from real use.

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

I've used both Kcnc ti cables and Powercordz in a lot of builds.

Stretch isn't an issue. We've lately been testing cables and housings in our brake fixture and I can't yet give away the results. I will say that when you look at just cables without housing the differences are small and only really show up in the higher load tests which in my opinion don't matter much. We tested cables up to 125 pounds of force on the cable, but with a good brake the wheel will lockup at about 75 pounds of cable pull, well less than the max of our preliminary tests.

So the short answer is that both work well and stretch isn't a problem. The Cordz are a couple grams lighter but are limited in application. They don't work with some of the lightest housings and the lightest brakes. The Ti really seem to fit every application and work really well but he drawback to them as mentioned is the price.

bazmac

by bazmac

Why are the Ti cables so expensive? Is there extreme gouging happening or is there significant costs involved in the manufacturing process plus the raw materials are dear? The fact that they are not yet very popular also probably adds to the cost as economies of scale are yet to kick in?

I'm trying to build a special project and want to shed grams wherever possible but I'm also concerned with the costs. $90 per cable set for the Ti cables is crazy dear and I won't justify this so am looking at other options.

Thanks baz

jpanspac

by jpanspac

I'm using the KCNC Ti brake cables. I haven't noticed any stretch with them. I'm sure they're expensive for the same reason Ti bikes are expensive.
My favorite components are the ones I never have to think about.

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

I wonder if anyone has thought of using something like this to develop carbon fibre cables? Wonder how it would compare price and strength wise to ti and Powercordz?

http://www.fibraplex.com/ProductPages/Carbon%20Fiber%20Rope%20String.asp

bazmac

by bazmac

I'm not an engineer so don't what all the strengths mean in real life. Seems strange that none of the carbon experts like Fiber lyte or BTP have not developed carbon into this type of application.

Cheers baz

vlastrada

by vlastrada

just got a ti set for shifting (will use with campy) from FWB - will they work equally well with Nokon and mini-i-links?

any specific issues with internal cabling?

drainyoo

by drainyoo

madcow wrote:I've used both Kcnc ti cables and Powercordz in a lot of builds.

Stretch isn't an issue. We've lately been testing cables and housings in our brake fixture and I can't yet give away the results. I will say that when you look at just cables without housing the differences are small and only really show up in the higher load tests which in my opinion don't matter much. We tested cables up to 125 pounds of force on the cable, but with a good brake the wheel will lockup at about 75 pounds of cable pull, well less than the max of our preliminary tests.

So the short answer is that both work well and stretch isn't a problem. The Cordz are a couple grams lighter but are limited in application. They don't work with some of the lightest housings and the lightest brakes. The Ti really seem to fit every application and work really well but he drawback to them as mentioned is the price.

Is there a lightweight housing that would work well with the KCNC Ti cables? What are the options?

jpanspac

by jpanspac

The Aican Bungarus housing works well with the Ti cables.
My favorite components are the ones I never have to think about.

drainyoo

by drainyoo

Thanks, but is the housing sold separately? I've only seen it sold with cables. Does that mean they also work with the Powercordz Swift housing?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com