Felt 2014 AR1

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

SuperDave
in the industry

by SuperDave

emartin wrote:I just received my AR2 with Ultegra DI2. Love everything about the bike so far but I only used it indoor a couple of time, here in Quebec it's -25 Celcius with 3 feet of snow.

I said I loved everything, well almost. First, with the attention to detail FELT usually does, the cheap aluminum headset look out of place on this bike. Also, I'm having somme issue with the rear brake. First there was zero information about how to adjust it so I ad found the info on the web. The actuation show alot of resistance when compare to the front brake or other BB caliper I used on a Giant Trinity for exemple. The ducumentation I found show that the tension spring can be adjusted with a 2mm allen, mine does't have this feature. I wonder if the Dura-Ace is smoother, any advice is welcome. I also saw two versions of the Ultegra/Dura-Ace direct mount brakes, the other I saw look alot like standard calipers...would tose fit on the AR?

A last, the Ultegra DI2 hoods show a major design flaw. The end of the brake cable doesn't fit deep enough so when the lever is depress, the top of the round part of the cable end rub at the top so the lever doesn't return by itself. Yes it installed properly, I had to grind the top of the cable end to give enough clearance. I assumed I'm not the first to experience this but didn't found anything about it... Should I ask my lbs to contact Shimano about this issue?

That being said the rest of the bike is superb, I'm 5'8" and the 54 fit me perfectly...cannot wait to hit the road.

BTW, I was wonder why the is no UCI sticker on this bike, is it "illegal" in any way? Will I have trouble to use it for national event where bikes are checked?

The headset was designed with a dual-stack position that allows the taller 25mm cone washer which mimics the fit of our Z series models or you can remove the upper bit and use the super shallow 4.3mm cover which allows a similar fit to our F-series models. To make production dates we opted to make these parts in aluminum which shortens lead time considerably because they are simply lathe turned. Molding custom carbon parts is expensive to tool for and requires many months of lead time. There are FSA and other carbon bearing covers you can use although I'm not aware of anyone making a 1k weave version to match your frame.

Are the Ultegra cranks cheap because they aren't carbon?

We don't buy the UCI decals for any of our road models (AR, F, Z, ZW, CX, B-series) so you won't find the decal on your AR2 either. Of course you'll still see our bikes at the races :)

-SD

SuperDave
in the industry

by SuperDave

emartin wrote:
Twinning wrote:
emartin wrote:I just received my AR2 with Ultegra DI2. Love everything about the bike so far but I only used it indoor a couple of time, here in Quebec it's -25 Celcius with 3 feet of snow.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On another note, a question to Dave probably, my bike came with this super black bar tape with super small hole exposing green color and a super "suede like" texture. Can this tape available for retail?

Nice stuff, eh? This is an evolution of our DEVOX tape that was well liked. We developed this new tape by removing the silicone gel based backing from the DEVOX tape, added the perforations and used an EVA (Ethylene-vinyl acetate) closed cell foam backing which is much lighter. An adhesive strip helps keep it all in place. The outer surface is very tough and resists tearing, important when pierced and wrapped over the AR2 and AR FRD sprinting shifters which require a hole to be made in the tape whilst wrapping.

It would be horrifically expensive if we sold it as an aftermarket item, probably ~$40USD. I do not expect it will be available except for a few select OEM bicycles.

-SD

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

emartin

by emartin

Thanks for the reply dave.

My posts may suggest that I'm not happy with the bike but it't really not the case. Overall, one of the best looking bike a owned and the fit and finish is superb...the headset thing is minor, I already order a carbon one. My main concern is about the rear brake clearance with the STAGES pod. Any suggestions from FELT... I would be very disappointed not being able this unit as it is our team sponsor this unit and I which ti stick with my Shimano crank.

And yeah the sticker...I was just asking because we see them almost everywhere so I thought something was not legal if the sticker was missing.

Thanks again Dave to give inside presence from FELT. I rod alot of Giant FRame lately but this year, I'll be a FELT "ambassador" from FELT canada to give exposure of the brand at races and training sessions.

mitchgixer6

by mitchgixer6

emartin wrote:the headset thing is minor, I already order a carbon one.

Just out of interest do you have a link to the carbon headset cover that you ordered?

Thanks.

emartin

by emartin

Me again...
I search about the eebrake and didn't found a online source for the dual mounts model, any suggestion?

For Dave, even at 40$, I would purchase this tape in a heartbeat!

I did not found a carbon cover only (except those chinese version on ebay that may not fit), I ordered a complete new FSA headset.

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

emartin wrote:On my Giant TCR ADV SL, I used Shimano Pro Vibe Carbon handlebars and stem. Super stiff and quite light, best cockpit so far. I kept my stem and handlebar and wait to see how the 3T components perform, back in the days, about 20 years ago when I began racing, 3T was THE big name for stem/handlebars... We'll when the temperature allowed me to ride outside.

Agree with this. Just switched from 3T ergonova compact bars to Shimano Pro Vibe Compact Carbon. T800 UD, much stiffer than the 3T. But the curve to the hoods in increased, where I liked the slightly shorter/sharper turn of the 3T.

Pro Vibe carbon stem also...for carbon, really stiff setup yet you still get a bit of vibration dampening over aluminum.

From a stiffness standpoint of carbon bars/stem, the Shimano setup is improved along with internal routing partially of the cabling. From the ergonomics of the bars compared to the 3T Ergonova compacts, I still favor the 3T.

I just wish 3T offered a -10d stem, would have stayed with them.
Last edited by Zigmeister on Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cyclenutnz

by cyclenutnz

DM eebrake not available until the end of February, assuming no production delays.

The good thing about an under bb rear brake is that the commissaires won't notice if it's not there... no problem with stages then ;)

Mize

by Mize

Got my AR1 today (coincidentally my birthday). Comes in at 15.6 lbs with pedals...I can nudge that down a bit with a different rear brake (I have ultegra) and saddle (testing a Fisik Kurve now but it's not the lightest). Here are a couple quick photos with poor backdrop and lighting:

rats...imageshack no longer lets me link directly to images...grr...off to dinner, photos late tonight or tomorrow. Only ride for days will be rollers thank to polar vortex 3.

emartin

by emartin

Mize wrote:Got my AR1 today (coincidentally my birthday). Comes in at 15.6 lbs with pedals...I can nudge that down a bit with a different rear brake (I have ultegra) and saddle (testing a Fisik Kurve now but it's not the lightest). Here are a couple quick photos with poor backdrop and lighting:

rats...imageshack no longer lets me link directly to images...grr...off to dinner, photos late tonight or tomorrow. Only ride for days will be rollers thank to polar vortex 3.

Ah the polar Vortex, here, with 3-4 feet of snow, it was -32 Celcius and it's like that since monday...Our cycling season begin in march and end in november and yes I have tones of different clothing from shoe cover to neoprene jacket.

Unfortunatly my roller is my good friend:(

And btw, let me know if you change your rear brake.

mitchgixer6

by mitchgixer6

There's something unjust about all this. There's all you guys in the US with your bikes ready to ride, but not the weather. And here's me in the UK waiting (probably until March) for my AR1 with pretty mild weather for the time of year, perfect for testing a new bike!! :roll: :D

Twinning

by Twinning

mitchgixer6 wrote:There's something unjust about all this. There's all you guys in the US with your bikes ready to ride, but not the weather. And here's me in the UK waiting (probably until March) for my AR1 with pretty mild weather for the time of year, perfect for testing a new bike!! :roll: :D

Haha Southern California for the win. Perfect weather. Frame arrived before the new year and was Built and ready to ride on the first. :) just had the steer tube cut last night

emartin

by emartin

Bike ready, poor weather...Vive le Quebec!

Mize

by Mize

mitchgixer6 wrote:There's something unjust about all this. There's all you guys in the US with your bikes ready to ride, but not the weather. And here's me in the UK waiting (probably until March) for my AR1 with pretty mild weather for the time of year, perfect for testing a new bike!! :roll: :D

First hard winter in ten too!

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

liketoride

by liketoride

Twinning wrote:

Haha Southern California for the win. Perfect weather. Frame arrived before the new year and was Built and ready to ride on the first. :) just had the steer tube cut last night

Twinning i live in So Cal too and work 4 min walking distance from where they put the bikes together and i am going to have to wait until march to get my bike, fingers crossed. When did you buy your bike?

Twinning

by Twinning

liketoride wrote:
Twinning wrote:

Twinning i live in So Cal too and work 4 min walking distance from where they put the bikes together and i am going to have to wait until march to get my bike, fingers crossed. When did you buy your bike?

I gave the shop owner my word that I was going to purchase the bike in early December. Moment cycle sport in San Diego is apparently a really big seller for felt and their rep always pushes new items onto them. I guess being a big seller allowed them to save me a 56.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com