Any foods that make your performance tank

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

AGW

by AGW

Herbivores possess the requisite amylases to catalyze tree bark, husks, and banana peels. Are you therefore unfit to consume fruit and vegetables? Never mind the pesticides and genetic engineering...

It's not as if healthy meats don't exist, free from byproduct, additives or BONE. The toxins you're referring to occur in rotting flesh only. So unless I'm eating rancid meat, I (nor anyone else) will have to worry about it. Take a 100-level pathophysiology course, please.

So many more logical fallacies I don't care to point out... No one is saying fruits and veggies are bad, but taking a rabid vegan-esque stance and attempting to claim that meat is not for human consumption on the basis of a bunch of junk science is foolish. Post a light bike or go away.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

barsook77

by barsook77

User Name wrote:At the risk or derailling the thread: alcohol.
I'm in my forties, and I've noticed in the last year or 2 that my riding suffers the day after having "only" 5 or 6 beers; and that's with no hangover and getting plenty of sleep.

Yeah that ... and Turkey Dinners.

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

@bananasbrah I..... actually have no words as to how massively wrong some of that info is.
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG

devinci

by devinci

I'd like to read scientific evidence on inflammation and animal protein. This thread has already quite a load of BS and is only 4 pages old !!!

CarpetFibre

by CarpetFibre

Let's... not feed the troll, guys. Come on, we're better than this.

Svetty

by Svetty

Agree that fat is a performance killer in the short-term - hence why cheese cripples my cycling for a couple of hours. Anything that requires significant gastro-intestinal bloodflow will cause nausea due to relative GI hypo-perfusion when trying to cycle hard.

ipdamages

by ipdamages

there's a lot of debate on bananas. I once read that tony rominger won the vuelta eating only bananas. here's an interesting podcast on eating lots of bananas.

http://jeffsanders.com/how-to-eat-30-bananas-a-day/

others think it's ridiculous.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... iness.html

makoti

by makoti

If I eat bananas, I have to wait at least a hour to workout. Just don't go well with my workouts.

Lewis

by Lewis

I am actually interested in what Bananabrah has to say. He has some strong pro veggie opinions but he's clearly not stupid, just perhaps quoting some inaccurate figures. I was especially interested in what you said about milk, as although I do like milk (don't drink it excessively though) I did have a breathing issue last year that I couldn't resolve (doc said it was asthma but inhalers didn't really seem to help) thinking of it now it could have been something to do with the amount of dairy in my diet. I do get phlemmy when I glug down milk, but I love milk on my porridge so it's catch 22. I've been dabbling with a raw food/vegan fad diet for some time as some of the info i've read seems to report health benefits, but it's tough to fill the cavern that is my stomach on just blueberries, bananas and other such stuffs! :P Meat and pasta and veg is my normal staple. Or spuds as an alternative (Irishman you see!) 8)

Interesting thread though!

I think food wise, a balanced diet is the key, and not too much junk food. Getting pissed up is what does me in. No energy to ride afterwards and just takes days to feel better again (I am 33 now). Also i've been eating a lot of pizza and only just got back into cycling and i've been fat and slow recently but starting to see my form returning now the healthy diet has resumed and i'm not eating a fatman pappa johns once a week!
2020 Canyon Grail AL 6.0

CBJ

by CBJ

Beer and BBQ is the worst for me. Alcohol in my 40 is a big problem in general even in small quantities.

ITTY

by ITTY

I had a calzone before a crit about a month ago and that didn't feel awesome. I generally try to eat "clean" food, but sometimes it's hard when you're travelling.
Moloko Plus 6.24 kg

"We haven't located us yet"

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Speculoos.

Either form (crunchy and smooth). Just tastes too damn nice.

Thank god I'm not in Belgium any more.

User Name

by User Name

CBJ wrote:Beer and BBQ is the worst for me. Alcohol in my 40 is a big problem in general even in small quantities.
Yeah, me too (like I said earlier :D).
What the fark is up with that? It never bothered me in my 20s and 30s, not that I was ever a big or consistent drinker.

User Name

by User Name

Lewis wrote:........ I did have a breathing issue last year that I couldn't resolve (doc said it was asthma but inhalers didn't really seem to help) thinking of it now it could have been something to do with the amount of dairy in my diet.!
Anxiety? Roemheld syndrome? Allergies? Acid reflux effective the vagus nerve? There are many possible causes
Etc, etc
I've had anxiety-related breathing issues on and off for about 15 years. I reckon I've had best results by eating more protein.
Google "anxiety and amino acids, gaba", etc

CBJ

by CBJ

User Name wrote:
CBJ wrote:Beer and BBQ is the worst for me. Alcohol in my 40 is a big problem in general even in small quantities.
Yeah, me too (like I said earlier :D).
What the fark is up with that? It never bothered me in my 20s and 30s, not that I was ever a big or consistent drinker.

For me its very recent. I doesn't really bother me as I have done plenty of drinking in my life.

In general regarding food and performance for me it very easy the healthier I eat the better I ride and hydration is super important for me. This is also why I think drinking affects me so bad as it dehydrates me and I don't sleep as well.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com