Stans iron cross confusion

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Kevin3182

by Kevin3182

So i have a few questions that my searching hasn't brought much clarity to…
First:
Can i run the iron cross wheel with tubes and challenge grifo open tub like a standard clincher wheel? (i have some laying around that need a home)
Second:
Come summer/ spring can i throw on a 28c road tire (gatorskin most likely) with tubes and use these wheels as gravel racing wheels? If so what psi would be recommended? I know theres something about 45psi as a max, but is that only for tubeless set ups? Id like to run around 100psi just like a standard road tire.

thanks for any insight

Kevin

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rasmussloth

by rasmussloth

First: yes

Second: yes

psi: I would recommend way less than 100. 70 tops.

fignonsbarber

by fignonsbarber

I just bought a Ridley X-Night Disc bike from Comp Cyclist. It was my first ever "box bike" (have always bought framesets and built up from there). Ridley shipped it with Iron Cross/Challenge Grifo clinchers as standard.

MajorMantra

by MajorMantra

I'd be leery of running high pressures on the Iron Cross. I just built a set of these and they are very thin, light rims. Mine were both under 380g.

Also, with the reports of tubes blowing off Alpha 340s, I'm inclined to think this style of rim is inherently unsuited to high pressures. There's some advice from Stan's people here, although it stops short of being definitive:

http://messageboard.notubes.com/viewtop ... f=1&t=6459

Btw, the tubeless setup is dead simple with these, I just did it with Superstar tape and valves, and Stan's sealant. You'd need different tyres though, as skinwalls like the Grifos aren't suitable.

StradaJon
in the industry

by StradaJon

Kevin - do not over-inflate the Iron Cross. There is max 45 psi with ANY tyre for this rim. You will risk rim failure if you exceed that!
Strada Hand Built Wheels
http://www.stradawheels.co.uk

jonbek

by jonbek

I ran IC with tubes and grifo/fangos and they were great but as others have said, you cannot run pressure for road season. Stan's will tell you the same, as I asked that question prior to my IC purchase.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com