Ultegra Di2 Lifespan?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

allenpg

by allenpg

Just wondering what other's experiences are with the 6770 series? I've got about 8,500 miles on mine with no issues. Does this seem par for most folks?

Thanks!
-Pete

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

shoopdawoop

by shoopdawoop

At least 12000 for me on my main roadie and still working great; around 20000 across a few groups on my and my girlfriends bikes and only a few minor hiccups.

djm

by djm

14 000 km on Dura Ace Di2, 1st gen and 8500 km on Ultegra Di2.. no issues at all.

asdf123

by asdf123

Question. How many miles do you guys think it will last? I ride Campy mechanical witch is very robust but I'm thinking about getting some DA or U Di2.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Di2 will outlast the bike it is on. I ride with a guy who put over 11,000 miles (17,700+ km) on his Specialized Roubaix SL4 with 6770 last year. He crashed at least twice, and both times, got up and kept riding. I think he ended up charging the battery twice.

Ivan

by Ivan

Pardon me but 14 000 km on a groupset is just nothing to be excited about ...
7 years (and a few months) and an estimated 120 000 to 140 000 km on my ultegra 6600 group. Apart from regreasing pivot points and adjusting here and there no issues at all.
He ride a bike instead of a car I wanna be his friend
Golden Earring - Going to the run

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Sorry, I didn't realize this was a pissing contest. Ultegra Di2 came out in 2012, so it would be a little hard for someone to rack up that kind of mileage on the group.

Valy

by Valy

OP - what do you mean by the lifespan? If anything I'd imagine it to be at least on par with mechanical group sets barring any hidden problems that manifest over time. Cos there aren't any cables to rub and snap or wear out the shifting mechanism. :/

allenpg

by allenpg

I meant lifespan regarding years/miles before the electronics would stop working. So far, so good for my system. Glad to hear others have had good luck too!

RussellS

by RussellS

Purchased Dura Ace 7970 Di2 in March 2010. So 4 years of riding. At most 8-10000 miles. Not a lot. Couple minor crashes. Charged the battery 3-4 times total. Everything good.

Tokyo Drifter

by Tokyo Drifter

2 year warranty so you're good for however much riding you do within that.

All e-tube parts are cross compatiable, so it isn't really a case of 'groupset life' as it is the lifespan of individual components. Each can be replaced and easily diagnosed.

mattr

by mattr

allenpg wrote:I meant lifespan regarding years/miles before the electronics would stop working.
Barring accidents or manufacturing defects, the electronics should last *almost* forever. The micro switches I've dealt with are usually lifed at 500000 cycles. Small servos are usually 200-250000 cycles (full stroke).
I'd imagine the wear on the pivots will be what kills rear mechs and shifters rather than electrical failure.

The bigger issue is the availability and compatibility of spares when you come to replace your rear mech in 10 years time!

SpinnerTim

by SpinnerTim

I've been riding 7970 for two years in temperatures ranging from 105-5 Fahrenheit, all weather conditions, and there have been no issues. All of the conventional pieces (crank, brakes, rings, sprockets, chain) are 7900, which means they're as tough as anything from Campy or SRAM.

Garmin was at the TDU last week riding the 7970 they bought in late 2011 when they switched from SRAM, so there's a couple of systems that have spent basically three years under pro wattage, mechanics' hoses, and 80+mph wet rides between races on top of team cars in European spring weather. And they still work.

Here's the better question; has anybody worn out a 7970 set (electronics only, please), and if so, what component failed?

-Tim

DMF

by DMF

Given enough miles, the statistical odds of avoiding a crash will eventually at some point or another hit zero. I wonder what the odds are that wear and tear will eat into either the rear derailleur or either shifter before a car, a ditch, the pavement or your riding mates in a peloton carnage does :)

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

Anything electronic is sure to have a reduced life span versus the mechanical version. Was at a bike shop today and the owner said he races with Dura Ace 9000 after getting caught in the rain and having his electronic shifting conk out; He correctly points out that with a mechanical set, he would have been in a better position to react/fix any problems.. Anyone who has had a cell phone get wet in the rain can appreciate the potential failure.

And to those that say they are just reliable and will point to personal experience, these units are still relatively new. Gut feeling, but I can't imagine they survive they way my 6500 Ultegra has after more than ten years.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com