Is 6.5kg too light

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

dukezpol

by dukezpol

the one above is deifinitelly and minimum 8kg, no chance for 7 kg!

Regarding exotic parts - come on, it is ww forum and every second bike here is equipped with clavicula crank! :)
By Exotic here, I understand something extremely light - Schmolke, AX etc

DanW

by DanW

the one above is definitely and minimum 8kg, no chance for 7 kg!

Yep! Just checked the Open site and for this "Limited Edition Acros/Enve" build which is what was pictured and Open claim 8.3kg without pedals. That is much nearer what I would expect.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

I didn't see it on a scale... just got a description and parking lot test ride. It sure felt lighter than 8kg.

cerro

by cerro

dukezpol wrote:the one above is deifinitelly and minimum 8kg, no chance for 7 kg!

Regarding exotic parts - come on, it is ww forum and every second bike here is equipped with clavicula crank! :)
By Exotic here, I understand something extremely light - Schmolke, AX etc

THM Carbones is extremely light. But sure, I rode with a custom made chainring and steerer before. This year I will use a custom spider to save some weight :)

dukezpol

by dukezpol

No my friend! THM M3 is absolutely NOT extremy light! weight/strenght relation is however extremely good in my opinion... :) that's my choice!

njee20

by njee20

So to reinforce my comment they're absolutely not building off the shelf 7kg bikes with normal parts. Those bikes are dripping in exotica (and it's not to do with price - IMO XTR isn't exotic, it's expensive to some, different thing). Acros shifting and THM stuff though... Affordable or not, that's exotic.

But we digress, I'm firmly in the 'no way that's 7kg' camp!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jooo

by jooo

I get where you're coming from but how can you consider something exotica when it's a stock part that can be purchased from a whole bunch of online stores and comes standard on a bunch of (admittedly high end) bikes? (edit: referring mainly to THM)

You said yourself it's not necessarily a price thing and I agree on that. IMO exotica is something different - including things like prototype or pre-production parts that aren't available for sale to the general public, highly modified parts, custom spider/ring combos, one off saddle/post or bar/stem combos, or parts from much lower volume manufacturers like maybe EP, NoRa or MACK hubs etc etc

slijkplaat

by slijkplaat

this bike i not my bike but got some light components on it .
7.810gr race ready so still a long way of for the 6.5kg you wanne try . :)

barsook77

by barsook77

I'd be curious to see how it holds up in the dirt, rocks and moguls.

Nicholas68

by Nicholas68

R2 bike built an open that was geared 2x10 with a suspension fork. No silly parts that came in at 7.08kgs. There were a couple parts on there that could easily be lighter to get it into sub 7kg while still being completely race able. This was with thunder burt tyres as well which are good tyres on wide rims. So no furious freds or maxxlights either.

DanW

by DanW

R2 bike built an open that was geared 2x10 with a suspension fork. No silly parts that came in at 7.08kgs.

Do you have any pics or a link to this? Very impressive if indeed there are no "silly" parts (although the definition of "exotic" and silly" seem to vary a lot to weightweenies here!)

Regarding the "exotic" discussion, I feel if something is the lightest on the market and is pushing the boundaries of materials and design then it is exotic. If it wasn't then what on earth can exotic be to weightweenies?

Something being custom isn't exotic by definition IMO either as plenty of cheap, common, heavy things can be tuned slightly for minimal expense or difficulty.

If the part has numerous caveats to it's use or requires a lot of care which makes it of limited practicality to the majority of MTBers then it is exotic too IMO.

Something like an Extralite stem might not be "exotic" for many people here but the sheer light weight, pushing the boundaries of alu stem design, high cost and care required to fit and maintain make it exotic in my eyes. Since the manufacture say that the stem bolts need to be loosened during the winter when it won't be used to prevent stress corrosion that is high maintenance. I want to ride year round and don't put the bike in the shed come winter! Therefore, pushing the boundaries and some limited practicalities = exotic for me.

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

No silly parts? Not so sure about that. Definately exotic in my eyes.

DanW: You can see the bike here: http://www.opencycle.com/owners-showcas ... r2-bikecom

DanW

by DanW

Agree! Thanks for the link too.

The only things that aren't exotic are the SRAM XX parts and brakes. AX/ THM/ Tune/ Extralite/ POP/ MCFK/ custom damper cartridge.... that stuff is exotic for sure

njee20

by njee20

+1, removing all the damping from your forks is moving into silly IMO! I can get removing the MoCo, but the rebound too...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nrsnow

by nrsnow

jooo wrote:I think skyfire1202 is still a member here. His bike 12.32lbs / 5.58kg

Sure, some people wouldn't think Maxlites etc are daily riders but skyfire1202 still races his bikes. It's not like it would be heavy with with a SID, Crest wheelset, Racing Ralphs and Ashima rotors anyway.

What size cassette is that?