HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:53 am 

I’m using Aican Bungarus brake cables with DA 7800 and just can’t get them to work properly! Installation initially seems fine and they work beautifully with the housing just taped into position on the bars with a couple of pieces of electrical tape, but as soon as I wrap the bars the cable friction increases dramatically, to the point the brake calipers return very slowly. I’ve tried repositioning the housing under the tape to eliminate any tight bends to no avail – the cable still sticks when I wrap the bars. I’ve also tried increasing the spring preload on the brake calipers but that didn’t help.

Anyone else had this problem and found a solution?

Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:53 am 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:48 pm 

Had a similar issue during my initial installation of the same cable set. Turned out to be a slightly frayed inner cable. Soon as I replaced the inner DLC cable, it was virtually friction-less. Suggest you inspect the inner cable from end to end just to make sure everything is smooth.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:38 am 

I have not had this problem. The problem I have was that on my evo, with the brake cable which goes into the front of the headtube, it generated a very tight bend. After general riding the delrin liner snapped at the tight point allowing the cable to fray on the aluminium housing. After 4500k, there was an individual brake cable filaments protruding between the segments and braking was sluggish due to the high friction.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:37 am 

Use packing tape not electrical tape to nail down the cables. Electical tape stretchs packing tape doesn't and it's lighter. Sounds like you have a damaged segment. If one of the liner segments is damaged you'll get this kinda troubles.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:33 am 

Just installed last week, the same cable lengths with the previous set-up and able to test it with a 100k ride and they seems to work fine. Shifting and braking are accurate with less amount of pressure applied. Just make sure to pre-compress them when installing. Been using Nokon before and feels like a little bit similar in how they perform.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:38 pm 

A broken plastic segment it's almost certainly the problem

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:32 pm 

Wal, you get chance to look that over again? I installed mine at the start of last yr and haven't made an adjustment yet. When they work, their money. Take your time and good luck.

Posted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:32 pm