Recommendations for a Sportive/Gran Fondo type bike.....

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Miller76

by Miller76

Hi guys and happy new year...

I'm looking for a new bike, and with this new bike comes the realization that my racing days are way way behind me!!!
My current bike is a Van Dessel Rivet, Enve forks, bars, stem and seat post. Hollowgram cranks, EE brakes and Red shifters and mechs. It's a great bike, nice and lively but a little aggressive. Over the last year I caught the gran fondo bug and rode as many as I could. I ride every weekend, between 40-60 per ride.

I don't race and my commute to work (90 minutes each way) prevents me from riding during the week. I have Cannondale CX for bad weather winter riding.

I've done a decent amount of research looking at the typical Sportive type bikes from Cannondale, Specialized, BMC and Trek but was wondering if i would be better served moving away from these mainstream companies and looking at something handbuilt etc.. The new bike can be frame only and I'll move over the components from the Van Dessel or a complete new bike. Not averse to disc brakes..
Of all the mainstream companies, I did not like the BMC offering, and I really liked the new Cannondale Synapse Hi-Mod

TL;DR I am looking for suggestions on a new sportive style bike - show me yours!!

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

legs 11

by legs 11

Without disrespecting you?...... I would say the whole concept of 'sportive' bikes is BS.
Media and industry driven concepts to encourage the consumer to feel like he/she needs to buy a new bike.
Your current ride looks pretty cool, why change?
High bars and crazy geometry doesn't make a bike any more comfortable?
My advice is to work with what you've got, save yourself a fortune and get out there and ride the thing....... 8) :lol:
Not joking or being overly negative with you......but the whole industry driven bullshit machine has started really getting on my nerves just recently. :roll:

Peace out and pedal. :beerchug:
Pedalling Law Student.

Rodrego Hernandez

by Rodrego Hernandez

Yep, this;

legs 11 wrote:Without disrespecting you?...... I would say the whole concept of 'sportive' bikes is BS.
Media and industry driven concepts to encourage the consumer to feel like he/she needs to buy a new bike.
Your current ride looks pretty cool, why change?
High bars and crazy geometry doesn't make a bike any more comfortable?
My advice is to work with what you've got, save yourself a fortune and get out there and ride the thing....... 8) :lol:
Not joking or being overly negative with you......but the whole industry driven bullshit machine has started really getting on my nerves just recently. :roll:

Peace out and pedal. :beerchug:

Rick

by Rick

I tend to mostly agree with legs 11.

If you want a new bike, that is great. But I don't see why a need for a special bike. If you want a slightly different position, can you just change stem angle or add spacers, etc ?

All that said: How about a Specialized Roubaix ?

carbonLORD
in the industry

by carbonLORD

I mean, BMC makes a Gran Fondo model, but you did rule that one out:

http://www.bmc-racing.com/us-en/bikes/n ... gf01-2013/

I'd say a Specialized Roubaix would be nice but SL3 as the SL4 is a Tarmac with Zerts now-a-day.

Let your body (and as many test rides as you can manage) be your guide or, like others have said, continue to work with what ya got.
carbonLORD.com

DMF

by DMF

In all fairness I tried a mates Scott CR1 Pro, very much a cushy, very slow-to-react, upright positioned Gran Fondo machine... compared to a proper road bike, that thing is a completely different beast. And it is still at the sportier end of this spectrum.

I wouldn't call this marketing BS. Just try one, they really are much more stable, have a lot less steering response and behave way more relaxed.

That said, they really aren't my cup of tea, I want fighter jet plane handling. :)

eric

by eric

What's "a little aggressive" mean? The geometry looks like typical road geometry. The web site touts "power transfer" so perhaps its a little stiffer than some frames. But it's not that heavy at 1000g.

If it's your position on the bike that is too aggressive, you can raise your bars or change the stem length to make it more comfortable for longer rides.

If it's the ride that is aggressive you can use lower tire pressure and perhaps wider tires to allow lower pressure without pinch flatting. Going from 23mm to 25mm does not cost much in weight or rolling resistance (which may actually be slightly better).

I do a lot of sportive type rides and similar length races and use my regular road racing bike, a Cervelo R3SL. Most road racing bikes are made for long days in the saddle.

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

I am going to go against the tone of everyone here. Sportive type bikes are more comfortable.....they are because companies add features to dampen vibration, etc. at the expense of weight/stiffness. Most race bikes are built so that they are as light/stiff as possible and are thus more harsh than a more relaxed bike.

Why don't you look into custom steel? It is kind of "on trend" right now, you can get the geometry you want so you can ensure proper good handling AND comfort. The steel should be amply comfortable for long days in the saddle. :noidea: :thumbup:

Miller76

by Miller76

A good balance of comments. Legs 11 makes some good points, and maybe I am just looking for a change, and a new frame could be what I'm looking for.

@btompkins, which custom steel builder would you recommend/suggest? I've looked at Gaulzetti Cazzo, Form Revel, Stoemper.......

Miller76

by Miller76

And before I get flamed, I have used google, http://cyclophiliac.com/american-custom ... -builders/ and I've also asked riding colleagues for suggestions and recommendations.. it's almost a case of paralysis by analysis....

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

I am currently lusting over a Stoemper Taylor....

Miller76

by Miller76

I was looking at those, I'm just in love with Hollowgrams and the Taylor doesn't have a bb30 - I also like the new Condo Super accaioi

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Yeah....that's true. The Condor or the Form Revel are pretty sweet.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Miller76 wrote:and I really liked the new Cannondale Synapse Hi-Mod

Got to ride one of these, I agree. Surprisingly fun to ride.

Of all the 'Sportive' type bikes I've ridden in the past few years, the Infinito fitted me like a glove and be one I would give some serious consideration to*. Wished I had a chance to have a spin on the Scott Solace, but work mate loved it.

*which came before I came to be riding on a team that are on Bianchi

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

willieboy

by willieboy

Lynskey titanium. I'm fortunate to own the R230. Does everything well. At least for me this is my go to bike for long days in the saddle and weekend group rides. I have a freshly built BH Ultra light with SR11 and He'd Jet 4 FR wheels and I rarely even ride it.