S-WORKS Evade

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Another drama, had to take it back again as another recall issued due to the strap mounting mechanism in the shell. Once again mine was fine but others had to be returned. Seems they may have been some real problems with getting this first batch out to the Southern Hemisphere market.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

where are you finding these recalls… I got first shipment in North America.. I need to know what to look for.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

I'm being contacted directly by the shop I bought it from as they are the local Specialized dealers.

carbonLORD
in the industry

by carbonLORD

Once again, interesting as I see no indication this was an official recall. Perhaps it was specific to individual shops as Specialized can track their orders.

From the Specialized Dealer website, these are all of the recall notifications listed within their resource:

2012 & 2013 Tarmac SL4, 2013 Crux, and 2013 Secteur Disc Forks - 01/24/2013
'08/'09 Globe Bicycles with Kinesis Aluminum Forks and Aluminum Alloy Steerers - 07/30/2012
Tektro TL-83 Brake Lever Recall UPDATE - 07/30/2012
Tektro TL-83 Brake Lever Recall - 04/16/2012
2011 Sirrus, Vita & Tricross Carbon Forks - 8/25/2011
2010 Epic/Era Re-Work Assets 11/19/2009
2004 Roubaix Recall (Adobe .pdf 90KB) - posted 4/23/2009
S-WORKS 2D Helmets (Adobe .pdf 60KB) - December, 2007
S-Works Magnesium Stem (Adobe 171KB).
2008 Crossroads & Expedition Stems (Microsoft Word 100KB) July, 2007.
Sugino Direct-Drive Crank Arms (Microsoft Word 100KB) May, 2007.

Please note, under Specialized 2D helmets the Evade is not listed, nor are any S-Works helmets.

Hopefully it was a small enough batch that it has been resolved without alerting all dealers through a global recall.

Thus far I have about 500 miles use on my Evade and can report no issues.
carbonLORD.com

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

carbonLORD wrote:Thus far I have about 500 miles use on my Evade and can report no issues.

It's not an issue that would propagate with use.

It's either been made in the correct way or not. The latter are what are being recalled and replaced.

djconnel

by djconnel

Review: I went into a local shop and tried one on. It fit like my Prevail. But it felt like a brick. It's substantially heavier. My Prevail is under 200 grams, this is close to 300 grams. So I put it back on the shelf.

carbonLORD
in the industry

by carbonLORD

Tinea Pedis wrote:
carbonLORD wrote:Thus far I have about 500 miles use on my Evade and can report no issues.

It's not an issue that would propagate with use.

It's either been made in the correct way or not. The latter are what are being recalled and replaced.

Yes, I know that. My comment was to those who might believe a crack or failure of a strap might occur from regular use.

There is no evidence on the dealer network that suggests this was an official recall and the shops I work with continue to sell them without incident.

I'd like to know where people are obtaining such information as this is now the second time the word "recall" has been used when this seems to be a much more isolated circumstance.
carbonLORD.com

carbonLORD
in the industry

by carbonLORD

djconnel wrote:Review: I went into a local shop and tried one on. It fit like my Prevail. But it felt like a brick. It's substantially heavier. My Prevail is under 200 grams, this is close to 300 grams. So I put it back on the shelf.

I thought we already established that Aero trumps Weight. Especially 100g.

I like my Atmos as well but if I am more slippery when aero, well, each has it's place. On windy flats where I live any aero advantage is welcome. On the days where I might race a short crit course or manage a series of climbs, the Atmos fits the bill.

Right tools for the job.
carbonLORD.com

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

carbonLORD wrote:I'd like to know where people are obtaining such information

Specialized Australia themselves.

Philbar72

by Philbar72

Had mine for 4 weeks now and used it extensively in crit races and training.

Firstly it makes a difference, physically, there is not as much noise around your head compared to a prevail in the same weather conditions (especially when going faster than 35km/h or cruising along).
Secondly on the flat when working hard in time trial mode or on certain sections of road that I use for training it is obviously helpful and thus a bit quicker. I do a loop that involves a section called drift road that’s 4 miles long and it allowed me with the same perceived effort using the same bike, to knock 45 seconds from my time. I also soloed into Windsor doing a 3.5 mile section and chopped quite a few seconds from my time.

In crit races compared to the old Prevail, I’ve beaten lap times and felt more comfortable, using the evade. It is a bit heavier, but its more efficient, though if I were doing an alpine climb in summer I’d wear the prevail every time.

So yes it appears to work.

The only bad thing is someone said I looked like an angry bird!

djconnel

by djconnel

carbonLORD wrote:
djconnel wrote:Review: I went into a local shop and tried one on. It fit like my Prevail. But it felt like a brick. It's substantially heavier. My Prevail is under 200 grams, this is close to 300 grams. So I put it back on the shelf.

I thought we already established that Aero trumps Weight. Especially 100g.

I like my Atmos as well but if I am more slippery when aero, well, each has it's place. On windy flats where I live any aero advantage is welcome. On the days where I might race a short crit course or manage a series of climbs, the Atmos fits the bill.

Right tools for the job.

Weight on my frame, perhaps. I don't like it on my head.

But I do tape over the front vents on my helmet. That adds maybe 2 grams.

The new POC Aero, not available yet, basically does just that to the POC Octal. Mass difference is around 20 grams.

But I agree with you that it makes sense to use different helmets for different sorts of events.

carbonLORD
in the industry

by carbonLORD

djconnel wrote:

But it's dimpled! :wink:
carbonLORD.com

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Yeah I had a rolling 53km race on Saturday morning followed by an 8km TT in the afternoon where I used the Evade (I got 2nd, missed 1st by 2.4 seconds - I was on my road bike with clip on aero bars comparred to a full TT rig that won) Then on the Sunday was an 83km stage with climbing - which I used my Ionos instead as it was stinking hot and there were hills so needed better ventilation. As CarbonLord said, use it for what is best suited for. It felt bloody good on the TT where we were hitting speeds of 60km on the slight descents I must say!

As TP stated the recall information I was getting was coming directly from the local distributer here, not Specialized international, but they ahd obviously been notified by them otherwise they wouldn't have asked for me to come in to get it checked.

guga

by guga

spdntrxi wrote:
nagge wrote:Are the red stripes and the other logos removable?

yes they can be removed

How did you remove them? With acetone or just scratching them off with your nails? ;-)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

So far I have only removed the Specialized S in front (yes nails) .. replaced with UCI rainbow version of the S.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault