Brake pads for Mavic carbon wheels.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

drainyoo

by drainyoo

I'm getting a set of Mavic Cosmic Carbone 40C wheels, and Mavic recommends using their pads, which are basically Swisstop Yellow Kings. These are a bit on the heavy side (33g for 4 pads), they also seem to leave yellow residue on the wheels. I've read a couple of reviews of the CC 40C showing this issue. I guess it's not a big deal since it can be wiped off, but are there better/light options that would work well for Mavic carbon wheels?

The Corima Red Cork pads are only 8g for 4 of them, but not sure if they would work. Nice place to lose 25g, though.

What about the Swissstop Black Prince? These seem like improvements on the Yellow King, since they generate less heat, so I wonder why Mavic wouldn't recommend these instead.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Attermann

by Attermann

since black prince is a new invention, that could by why, same company, wouldn't hesitate.

i'm just borrowing your subject a bit

i have got reynolds assault, should i use reynolds own, or maybe the campagnolo ones for carbon rim?

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

Be wary. It was established in the Exalith thread that the Mavic supplied Swissstop Green pads were NOT the same as the 'standard' Swissstop Greens.

Also you could potentially invalidate your warranty by using other pads. Why not try the supplied pads first.

drainyoo

by drainyoo

I had no idea that they're different and using others could void the warranty. I guess that answers that. Thanks.

eric

by eric

Try checking the manufacturer's web site or the documentation that came with your wheels. Or ask them.

seanblurr

by seanblurr

I ran the pads that came with the 40c's for a few rides until I couldn't stand the yellow ring left on the wheel surface. I have thus switched to the new Blackprince pads with no issues. It could be a placebo effect, but it seems that the black prince have a bit more stopping power as well.
Instagram @seanblurr

drainyoo

by drainyoo

I'm going to contact Mavic and ask them about the Black Prince. I will post here what they tell me.

MavicZack
in the industry

by MavicZack

Hi everyone, I just traded PM's with Drainyoo and I can go ahead and post public as well.

The only pads approved by Mavic for use with the CCU and CC40 c wheels are the Mavic (swisstop) yellow pads. The Black Prince pads have been tested, and there are potential problems with them. They wear out prematurely, and in some cases they can damage the brake surface. This happens most notably on the Cosmic Carbone Ultimate wheels. Your personal results may vary, and you can experiment to see if the pad wear is acceptable to you, but using them will certainly void your wheel warranty and Mavic can't recommend using them. If you use them, you would assume responsibility for any damage to your wheel brake tracks.

anyway, the yellow pads do work particularly well, even if they do leave some yellow residue on the rims ...
happy riding everyone!
thanks for your interest in the CC40 c. wheels. they are super rock solid durable, in all conditions.
-zack
USA Communications Guy
Mavic, Inc.
http://www.mavic.com
http://www.facebook.com/mavic

drainyoo

by drainyoo

Thanks Zack. I was just about to ask you if I could post what you wrote me, so I'm glad you did. Better coming from the source.

I'm going to stick with the yellow pads. For those who get yellow residue on their wheels from the pads, is it easy to clean off?

seanblurr

by seanblurr

Care to share what sort of problems you were seeing on the brake tracks? I can handle premature wear of the pads, but don't want any problems with the wheel surface itself.
Instagram @seanblurr

frohrider

by frohrider

I used Black Prince since April last year and they lasted for about 4'500km with Mavic Ultimates. Braking in light rain is better, with the Yellow Pads its just scary when wet. We have a lot of hills and I weight 85kg.. if I expect really wet conditions I still switch to my other wheelsets.
Supersix HiMod, Supersix EVO HiMod, Crux, CaadX, Lynskey R330 & Pro29, Yelli Screamy 29

showdown

by showdown

I haven't yet tried the black prince pads on any wheels but I do like the Reynolds blue pads. I'm not a big fan of the yellow pads.

The pad residue, whether it's blue, yellow or black (yeah, even though you can't see it, it's there) should be removed every now and then and can be done so with some rubbing alcohol or acetone- but use acetone very sparingly as too much can be bad for the resins in the carbon fiber and can soften the glue used to mount the tires.

MavicZack
in the industry

by MavicZack

I don't have enough detail to be totally clear about brake track wear, but I was informed that it's most notable on the Cosmic Carbone Ultimate wheels. The carbon on these wheels may be softer. The CC40 have a very hard, very durable brake track. I would be surprised if there was a problem with brake track wear on these wheels.... but you never know what can happen over time.

The biggest problem with black prince on CC40, I was told, is brake pad wear, probably due to the slightly coarse surface of the CC40 brake track. it's this coarse surface that helps improve wet weather braking, but also the surface was developed with the understanding that it was yellow pads being used -- so it' s ALWAYS best to follow the manufacturer's recommendation to use the proper pads!

but as I say, in the end, it's the riders responsibility to understand that ONLY the yellow pads are tested and approved by Mavic. Using any other brake pads can void the warranty and the rider should clearly understand that if they choose to ride different pads, even if the other pads feel better or look better.

best regards - zv
USA Communications Guy
Mavic, Inc.
http://www.mavic.com
http://www.facebook.com/mavic

lanceasprec

by lanceasprec

hi just want to ask, my mavic yellow supplied by the wheelset carbone 40c is already on its limit. need a spare. but cant find a "mavic yellow pads" can i use the yellow swisstop pads?its the same or not(mavic yellow and swiistop yellow)? thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I own a set of CCU 2014, when i contacted Mavic MP3 doing a check on brake pads, i was told i was allowed to use SwissStop Black prince and the yellow SwissStop only (without voiding warranty).
Well, ofcourse Mavics own pads.
CCU 2014 use a new brake track treatment which is not avaible before 2014 i was told.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.