Wahoo Kickr won't register speed properly - anyone help?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

VTBike

by VTBike

Got a new Kickr for xmas, and having trouble setting it up -- though for all intents it should be the simplest thing ever.

The issue is that even in 53x11 at over 100rpm, the thing speed is only registering 15mph. If I stand up and practically kill myself in a sprint, I might get to 20mph. So I can't perform the spin down. The wheel circumference setting is correct. The other odd thing is that even when I'm pedaling steadily, it fluctuates wildly.. so the speed will go from 15mph to 14mph to 15.6 mph to 14.5 mph to 14mph to 15... etc. And while this is happening, the power is going from say 50 to 0 to 60 to 0 to 50 to 0.

Any ideas? I emailed Wahoo.. not sure how long it takes them to respond. A bit annoyed they don't have a phone number. Seems to me like the sensor is somehow broken.

Thanks

ultimaterider

by ultimaterider

Sorry to hear you are having issues with such a great xmas gift. Have you updated the firmware on the Wahoo using your iPhone or iPad yet? I had very similar issues when I first unboxed my Wahoo. Fortunately, I found that the Wahoo worked perfectly after updating the firmware. You will need a newer generation Apple device (look for the compatibility list) and the Wahoo app. The firmware update only takes a few minutes but you will need to make sure you put your iPhone/iPad close to the flywheel for the handshake to happen.
Good luck and good riding.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

VTBike

by VTBike

Thanks for the tip Ultimate -

I'm having trouble figuring out how to initiate the firmware update. When I use the wahoo utility, the only options are to test the sensors, shop wahoo, or 'get an app'..

When I test the bluetooth sensor on the Kickr - it sometimes doesn't even register even though it's plugged in and i'm pedaling. When it does register, it displays the current speed and power, and gives a 'spindown' option. But like I said, I can't pedal fast enough to initiate spindown.

According to the Wahoo site, it seems like the app itself is supposed to determine if the unit needs a firmware update and give me that option - which it is not.

Is there another way to force a firmware update?

Thanks again

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

delete the app and reinstall… because it usually ask about firmware update when you first run the ap.

probably tell your iPhone to forget the device too since… so it's like starting from scratch
Last edited by spdntrxi on Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

asv

by asv

Hitting "test sensors" should prompt you for an update.

VTBike

by VTBike

So I heard back from Wahoo, and apparently a small number of their Kickr's had a faulty optical sensor (or rather, the positioning of the optical sensor was not correct). They overnighted me a new sensor, and I had the problem fixed within 3 minutes!

Now that everything is solid with the actual trainer function, I've found a second issue with the actual riding. When I'm out of the saddle and rocking the bike slightly, the skewer becomes loose on the rear wheel, and the bike actually starts moving enough to pop out of the skewer on the non drive side. I've clamped that skewer down a ridiculous amount - with no change. I'm thinking I can sandpaper the plastic washer on the skewer to create more friction, or just switch to a different skewer and see if it helps. Anyone with this issue??

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

no issue with coming out with me… but have not done to much out of the saddle either… just a little

Nebby

by Nebby

VTBike wrote:So I heard back from Wahoo, and apparently a small number of their Kickr's had a faulty optical sensor (or rather, the positioning of the optical sensor was not correct). They overnighted me a new sensor, and I had the problem fixed within 3 minutes!

Now that everything is solid with the actual trainer function, I've found a second issue with the actual riding. When I'm out of the saddle and rocking the bike slightly, the skewer becomes loose on the rear wheel, and the bike actually starts moving enough to pop out of the skewer on the non drive side. I've clamped that skewer down a ridiculous amount - with no change. I'm thinking I can sandpaper the plastic washer on the skewer to create more friction, or just switch to a different skewer and see if it helps. Anyone with this issue??

One side of the mount point for the skewer has a flippable bolt that allows the mount to be used for both road and mtb frames, I'd double check that you have it installed in the right orientation for your bike. It should be labeled and the instructions should also show the direction it should be installed.

BillyRayValentine

by BillyRayValentine

I actually am having the same optical sensor problem with my Kickr and should have a replacement soon. Did you have difficulties with the Kickr in ERG mode too? Mine would constantly drop the power readings from the Kickr. I could swear this was making the ERG workouts incredibly difficult; it feels as if the resistance is way above the resistance reading that I have set on the Kickr. However, it could just be my mind during the intervals... Interested to see what your experience was on this one.

BillyRayValentine

by BillyRayValentine

I should also add that my experience with Wahoo support has been great. While they don't have phone numbers to call, they are incredibly prompt in returning e-mail messages and will go out of their way to help you out on issues.

VTBike

by VTBike

BillyRayValentine wrote:I actually am having the same optical sensor problem with my Kickr and should have a replacement soon. Did you have difficulties with the Kickr in ERG mode too? Mine would constantly drop the power readings from the Kickr. I could swear this was making the ERG workouts incredibly difficult; it feels as if the resistance is way above the resistance reading that I have set on the Kickr. However, it could just be my mind during the intervals... Interested to see what your experience was on this one.

To be honest, I couldn't get the unit to work properly enough to test it in any mode. The resistance would randomly go to level 9 (which really is not fun unless you are expecting it), and the speed would never go above 10mph at a normal cadence. So it was really just not fun to use in any mode. With the fix, however, that has all changed and I'm loving it.

Regarding the skewer issue, I simply replaced it with an old mavic skewer I had sitting around, and the problem was fixed. The skewer itself is a pretty simple device - an end nut and spring on the cassette end, and a beveled washer and spring at the QR end. I can't imagine I had it installed improperly. The skewer I replaced it with is infinitely easier to crank down, so I'm happy with that. Not sure why the stock skewer didn't work for me, but I haven't given it a second thought after the fix.

jan erik

by jan erik

Me too have problems with the Kickr. My watt readings is around 30% below reallife figures. When standing on the trainer and really pushing it Im not able to get readings over 550 watts. Thats half what my powertap will give .Easily.

Yes,I have the new SW and also performed spinndowns. Sensor problem?

BillyRayValentine

by BillyRayValentine

Sounds like my problem. E-mail the Wahoo team, they usually respond the same day and will overnight a replacement sensor to you. Once I replaced the sensor, everything works perfectly. Power values are in line with my other sensors and the feel of the trainer is much more road like than before. Replacing the sensor completely changed my view of the trainer. Before I was luke warm over the entire experience; now I'm in love with it.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I'm waiting for a replacement now... Out of stock/ back order

They looked at my spin downs and said something ain't right.. With the whole unit.

Their service is pretty good but very limited hours.... But they resolve issues quickly so it's not too bad. I miss my kickr right now

villeneuve80

by villeneuve80

don't despair !
I also got the bad aligned sensor...
service is excellent and fast and now that the kickr is working I just love it !
Erg mode : trainer road
realife videos (mostly climbs ;-) ) : veloreality

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com